Vengeance is mine! Bwa ha ha ha ha

Vengeance is mine! Bwa ha ha ha ha

June 16th, 2011, 12:08 pm #1

The good news is that's the last 'Vengeance' joke I'll be using.

I've just finished up my Frog Vengeance.

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the result. I tried a few things that worked well - the open cowl gills, new exhausts, replacement engine and vacformed canopy. The decals were cobbled together out of the spares box to make an aircraft that hasn't apeared in any kit that I know of.

Photos show that these aircraft had pretty good quality paintwork, so I added a very few small chips with silver pencil. Because of the operating environment, on dirt strips in the tropics, they were quite dusty, which I tried to replicate with pastel chalks. It didn't really work:

[/IMG]

Luckily I didn't seal it on, so I removed most of it (the three photos earlier are after removal) leaving just exhaust and (slight) gun staining and a few grubby marks in the otherwise implausibly white tail. I left the underside dirtier because the RAAF sky blue is such a light shade I thought it needed some subduing. I tried to pencil on the bomb bay - suffice to say I couldn't get it looking any good. I resorted to thin decal strips to outline it. I'm putting that in the 'don't bother next time' category too:

[/IMG]

For my next trick, I'm going to build the 50 year old Airfix Yak-9D over on the Airfix group build. (Come join us!) If time allows, I might be back here with something else.

Cheers,

Andrew

June 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm #2

Beautiful work and amazing finish!!!

June 16th, 2011, 5:39 pm #3

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the result. I tried a few things that worked well - the open cowl gills, new exhausts, replacement engine and vacformed canopy. The decals were cobbled together out of the spares box to make an aircraft that hasn't apeared in any kit that I know of.

Photos show that these aircraft had pretty good quality paintwork, so I added a very few small chips with silver pencil. Because of the operating environment, on dirt strips in the tropics, they were quite dusty, which I tried to replicate with pastel chalks. It didn't really work:

[/IMG]

Luckily I didn't seal it on, so I removed most of it (the three photos earlier are after removal) leaving just exhaust and (slight) gun staining and a few grubby marks in the otherwise implausibly white tail. I left the underside dirtier because the RAAF sky blue is such a light shade I thought it needed some subduing. I tried to pencil on the bomb bay - suffice to say I couldn't get it looking any good. I resorted to thin decal strips to outline it. I'm putting that in the 'don't bother next time' category too:

[/IMG]

For my next trick, I'm going to build the 50 year old Airfix Yak-9D over on the Airfix group build. (Come join us!) If time allows, I might be back here with something else.

Cheers,

Andrew
I like the accentuated dive breaks - and puzzling something different together with the decal code letters

Great work

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Vami Models - resin Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)
- AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 16th, 2011, 8:39 pm #4

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew
That turned out just great. The kit turns out a nice model and the paint scheme etc. look just right.

Well done and thanks for sharing...

June 16th, 2011, 11:43 pm #5

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew
Super work on a complex scheme!

Stuart

June 17th, 2011, 12:35 pm #6

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew
...and I have seen a quite a few.

It is builds like yours that make me wonder why we buy Hasegawa and Tamiya when there is so much more fun in a 40 year old kit!

June 17th, 2011, 12:38 pm #7

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew
Could not think of anything pithy to say

Looks great Andrew. Nice to see the old FROG kits built and have justice done to them. I often wished that the GBAK was more along the Classic British Kits. I, along with lots of the regulars probably have a pile of FROG in the stash.

Thanks for doing the build.

Cheers, Vic

June 17th, 2011, 9:20 pm #8

...and I have seen a quite a few.

It is builds like yours that make me wonder why we buy Hasegawa and Tamiya when there is so much more fun in a 40 year old kit!
PS - I love the white tail!

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Current Build:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1;

Previous WIP Builds:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

June 18th, 2011, 2:05 am #9

Here's a few photos:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers,

Andrew
It's good to see another Frog kit in this topic.

Regards,
Adrian