USS Robin?

USS Robin?

July 8th, 2012, 10:31 pm #1

I learned something new this week. There was a mystery US carrier in 1943 that appeared out of nowhere. Trivia question of the day. It was nicknamed the USS Robin. What was it really?

July 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm #2

n/t

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

July 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm #3

I learned something new this week. There was a mystery US carrier in 1943 that appeared out of nowhere. Trivia question of the day. It was nicknamed the USS Robin. What was it really?
...theres a detailed thread about it a few pages back.

July 8th, 2012, 10:46 pm #4

I missed that thread completely! Man, getting old womps! I thought it was very interesting. American aircraft being flown by British pilots. Good stuff.

July 9th, 2012, 10:05 am #5

They appear to have been Grumman Martlets - complete with Royal Navy logo & serials (see Modeldad's pix in previous posting), and Grumman Tarpons (TBF-1). The FAA camo seems to have been very roughly overpainted, and US markings added (not for the first time this was done in WWII - FAA aircraft in Operation Torch also wore US stars, including Seafires, Sea Hurricanes, Fulmars and Albacores. Similarly, US Navy PB4Y-1 Liberators, based in the Azores, wore RAF roundels alongside their US stars, to placate the local government!).

I do love these anomalies. They make for interesting modelling subjects, I want to build US Dominie, Beaufighter and Defiant TT one day....

July 9th, 2012, 12:14 pm #6

I missed that thread completely! Man, getting old womps! I thought it was very interesting. American aircraft being flown by British pilots. Good stuff.
...the only 'large' kit you can get is the old Heller Illustrious, which needs some work to bring it up to snuff, and then needs more work to make it into Victorious.

One of the Japanese manufacturers (Fujimi?) did 1/700th kits of Illustrious and Victorious but they are both crude and inaccurate and need just as much work!

If Trumpeter were to pop out a WWII RN fleet carrier I'd have to sell a kidney to cover the kits I'd want!
Last edited by Les_J99 on July 9th, 2012, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 9th, 2012, 5:40 pm #7

I can recommend "Golden Wings and Navy Blue" by John Fay to you. He was on 832 NAS during that detachment, and there are a few photos of Tarpons and Martlets in those non-standard schemes.

July 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm #8

...the only 'large' kit you can get is the old Heller Illustrious, which needs some work to bring it up to snuff, and then needs more work to make it into Victorious.

One of the Japanese manufacturers (Fujimi?) did 1/700th kits of Illustrious and Victorious but they are both crude and inaccurate and need just as much work!

If Trumpeter were to pop out a WWII RN fleet carrier I'd have to sell a kidney to cover the kits I'd want!
I think it was Aoshima that makes the 1:700 Victorious/Illustrious n/t

July 9th, 2012, 8:32 pm #9

n/t