USS Albany and a ? USS Long Beach

USS Albany and a ? USS Long Beach

June 11th, 2012, 12:49 am #1

A few weeks ago I asked the group here about this model, I got a minimal reply, assouming not many had this kit or not built one yet. So I have one now, nicely molded,verly clean, but still screams for improvements. So I am sharingwith you all some of my improvements, but I must say the height finding dishes on the roof of the Bride structure and the the rear tower had to go!
[/IMG]
I have the brass tower assembled but, have to make a new top platform for it.
Now the Questions, the device located ahead of the bridge and ahead of the rear tower, What they? This deice appears on the USS Long Beach also.
2nd Question; on the USS Long Beach, a ramp structure appears on the deck ahead of the 2nd Terrior launcher. I have some referances, none tell tell me what these are. Could someone help?
Thanks
Glen.

June 11th, 2012, 11:57 am #2

i'm working on a 1/350 Chicago and I have photos of that area. I'll post later on today.

June 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm #3

A few weeks ago I asked the group here about this model, I got a minimal reply, assouming not many had this kit or not built one yet. So I have one now, nicely molded,verly clean, but still screams for improvements. So I am sharingwith you all some of my improvements, but I must say the height finding dishes on the roof of the Bride structure and the the rear tower had to go!
[/IMG]
I have the brass tower assembled but, have to make a new top platform for it.
Now the Questions, the device located ahead of the bridge and ahead of the rear tower, What they? This deice appears on the USS Long Beach also.
2nd Question; on the USS Long Beach, a ramp structure appears on the deck ahead of the 2nd Terrior launcher. I have some referances, none tell tell me what these are. Could someone help?
Thanks
Glen.

June 11th, 2012, 5:53 pm #4

Very Nice picture. Mr Hall, thank you for posting those, I see I have some more railings to add. and helps with a few part locations. I am still confused as to what the (now) pole like device is in front of the bridge.
Thank you again
Glen Genest

October 27th, 2012, 12:55 am #5

I'll jump in here, I served on USS Chicago, and that "pole" you mentioned in front of the bridge is forward of two Underway Replenishment (UnRep) Gantries. It is used to play out the highline or refueling hoses during an UnRep. The one in the photo is just either facing away or taken apart. I have a drawing if I can figure out how to attach jpg files. OR e-mail me and I will send it to you.

John Borio
MCPO, USN (Ret)

EMCM J. Borio USN (Ret)