USMC F-4Bs at DaNang or Chu Lai question

December 21st, 2014, 1:24 pm #1

As a teenaged history and aircraft buff in the '60s I saw the war reports on my TV. I remember seeing video (during TET I think) of an F-4 taxiing out with 3 MERs and 2 TERs fully loaded with mk. 82s and the reporter saying that the target is so close that no extra fuel tanks were needed and the aircraft carries more destructive power than a squadron of WWII B-17s.
I've never found a pic of this loadout.
Anyone else remember this? Anyone know what squadron? Was it an hallucination? ( It was the 's 60s after all)

Yes, there are enough photos of USMC Phantoms

December 21st, 2014, 5:08 pm #2

fully loaded to the hilt with no external fuel tanks that if you want to do one go ahead....

While it is true that they normally carried some type of external fuel tanks, there were enough missions right outside base that didn't need them... The Phantoms had to be set up for that type of mission though as they didn't just go out and drop the tanks, put a new pylon on and load up MERS in a blink of an eye.

If I recall correctly the Osprey USMC Phantoms in Vietnam has some info on a load out like you are asking.
VMFA-314 comes to mind for some reason.

Scotty B
Last edited by mrcockpit1 on December 21st, 2014, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In John's Trotti's book "Phantom Over Vietnam" he talks about such a loadout.

December 21st, 2014, 6:31 pm #3

As a teenaged history and aircraft buff in the '60s I saw the war reports on my TV. I remember seeing video (during TET I think) of an F-4 taxiing out with 3 MERs and 2 TERs fully loaded with mk. 82s and the reporter saying that the target is so close that no extra fuel tanks were needed and the aircraft carries more destructive power than a squadron of WWII B-17s.
Anyone else remember this? Anyone know what squadron? Was it an hallucination? ( It was the 's 60s after all)
The book says when a Phantom had problems with its fuel transfer system, they'd just load it up with bomb racks (and 24 500 pound bombs, as I recall). He said they called such a configuration a "superbomber." That would be VMFA-314.

F-4B Full Load

December 21st, 2014, 6:54 pm #4

Here is a F-4 with a full load of Snake and Nape:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attac ... 1372304653

And A-4s had full loads as well:

These are A-4's not F-4's

December 23rd, 2014, 9:12 pm #5

Snake and Nape on a Phantom, practically a cliche

December 23rd, 2014, 9:19 pm #6

Here is a F-4 with a full load of Snake and Nape:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attac ... 1372304653

And A-4s had full loads as well:

those stagger loaded Mk83s on the Willy Lovers are pretty cool too,,,,,,,,look at the tire on that
nosewheel

Read the entire post again. n/m

December 24th, 2014, 9:16 am #7

Information not shared is information lost.