$kyhawk madne$$ on ebay! A guy is asking $329 US.......

$kyhawk madne$$ on ebay! A guy is asking $329 US.......

April 5th, 2012, 11:39 pm #1

for a built Hasegawa 1/48 A-4B. An unbuilt Hasegawa A-4B is starting at a mere $110 US. I discovered this while trolling for Hobbycraft A-4s, which one can never have enough of.

Do these guys actually get bites at those prices? Wow.

April 6th, 2012, 12:06 am #2

if someone pays that much for it.
More dollars than cents/sense?
George, out...............

April 6th, 2012, 1:02 am #3

for a built Hasegawa 1/48 A-4B. An unbuilt Hasegawa A-4B is starting at a mere $110 US. I discovered this while trolling for Hobbycraft A-4s, which one can never have enough of.

Is it "pro-built"? I love that n/t

April 6th, 2012, 1:09 am #4

Without having seen the model and therefore being unable to comment on the quality of its construction and finishing, let's say the cost of kit and materials was $29 and it took 10 hours to build. That would mean the builder cleared $300 or $30/hr. Subtract 15% self employment tax, 10% Federal tax, 5% state and local tax and the builder nets $21/hour. That seems pretty cheap for skilled craftsmanship (and, again, I haven't seen the model but let's assume it's built to a high standard). It would not be easy to get by building models as a full time job at that kind of hourly rate.

Peace!

Russ

April 6th, 2012, 1:12 am #5

In the last few weeks one of the 1/48 Argentina Skyhawks went on ebay for 93 bucks

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hasegawa-1-4 ... 2c63ebf4ea

April 6th, 2012, 2:30 am #6

Without having seen the model and therefore being unable to comment on the quality of its construction and finishing, let's say the cost of kit and materials was $29 and it took 10 hours to build. That would mean the builder cleared $300 or $30/hr. Subtract 15% self employment tax, 10% Federal tax, 5% state and local tax and the builder nets $21/hour. That seems pretty cheap for skilled craftsmanship (and, again, I haven't seen the model but let's assume it's built to a high standard). It would not be easy to get by building models as a full time job at that kind of hourly rate.

Peace!

Russ
Well said exactly..nt
Time to spare..go by air!

April 6th, 2012, 2:42 am #7

Generic build ups go for less from my own experience but most of my commisions were alot more than that,,of course the attention to unit, time and painted accuracy deservingly so.

April 6th, 2012, 3:37 am #8

Peace!

Russ
A lot of us would like to see $21/hr

April 6th, 2012, 4:41 am #9

Doesn't sound too unreasonable for a built model unless his workmanship is subpar.

April 6th, 2012, 2:50 pm #10

I regularly place (but never win) at regional events. I'm not the best or one of the best, but I'm decent. I don't think I have a model I would sell for as "low" as $300-400. I wouldn't build one for that amount if someone asked for something to be built. (Though I'd build for free it were a good friend or family member.) So if the model's decently built, I don't see it as an excessive price. And if for some reason I wanted something on the shelf and didn't feel like actually building it, I'd pay $300-400 for it and think I got a pretty good deal.

As someone else said, what's your time worth? If you build quickly and your day job pays minimum wage, selling a built model at that price can sound like good money. If you build slowly and make a middle-class income, then it's just making a little money off your hobby.

yeah, all except the part about him being presumed dead.