USAF Thunderbirds/USAFE Skyblazers

USAF Thunderbirds/USAFE Skyblazers

December 6th, 2011, 10:55 pm #1

Have the Monogram F-100D kit of the Thunderbirds, and the Trumpeter F-100C Super Sabre kit, that will become the a Skyblazer. Anyone know what 'modifications' are needed to represent each aircraft accurately, as well as the landing gear well/ door interior colors. Thanks.

December 7th, 2011, 1:07 am #2

There are conversions out there but I haven't tried one. It is a fairly substantial undertaking focusing on the nose plus all the lumps and bumps will have to be removed. Here's a little research material:
http://aerobaticteams.net/thunderbirds- ... llery.html
and for the Skyblazers:
http://aerobaticteams.net/skyblazers-f-100-gallery.html

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
Last edited by junkman3353 on December 7th, 2011, 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2011, 3:20 am #3

. . . not Thuds.

December 7th, 2011, 4:30 am #4

December 7th, 2011, 4:54 am #5

Have the Monogram F-100D kit of the Thunderbirds, and the Trumpeter F-100C Super Sabre kit, that will become the a Skyblazer. Anyone know what 'modifications' are needed to represent each aircraft accurately, as well as the landing gear well/ door interior colors. Thanks.
?t=1323233154

?t=1323233309

?t=1323233176

?t=1323233221

?t=1323233429

?t=1323233281

?t=1323233259

Those that can't do, teach. Those that can't teach, evaluate.

Bryant

December 7th, 2011, 5:51 am #6

. . . not Thuds.
I spent all afternoon seeing F-105D. Nevermind what I said. I give up.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

December 7th, 2011, 2:02 pm #7

The F-100D is the easiest. The Monogram kit is by far the most accurate F-100 kit available in any scale. For a T-Bird, all you'll need to do is thin the fuel tank vent fairing (the kit has the wider RHAWS radar warning gear, see link to Z-5 below for the differences), replace the radar warning displays to the left of the gun sight with two drop tank fuel guages, remove the gun sight, drill out the gun ports (guns were removed but the ports were not faired over), and add a smoke probe pipe that runs down the right side of the fuselage, starting a tiny bit aft of the fuselage break. Monogram's decals are slightly better than Warbirds'. Theirs are just copies of Monogram's with some inaccuracies added. They were too brittle to use and I ended up scrapping the model I tried to put them on. Their T-Birds F-105B decals are junk, too.

Here's a good link for T-Birds F-100 photos:
http://www.thunderbirdsalumni.com/index ... y/4-f-100s

If you haven't built a Monogram F-100, the gap between the wings is too narrow, which pulls the sides of theupper fuselage half in and causes some really bad seams forward and aft of the wings. Just leave the wings off and add them individually after you've built the fuselage. Cut off the stabilators, too, to make cleaning seams and painting the fuselage easier. AMS Resin makes the best aftermarket seat. The old Black Box cockpit is better than Legend's, but the seat backs in both sets are about 4mm too short and can't be fixed. Remove the locator pins from the insides of the intake duct and then glue the duct to the nose piece. It's a lot easier to get the interiors of the two parts lined up than it is if you follow the kit instructions and glue the nose piece to the fuselage later in assembly.

Frankly, the Trumpeter F-100 kits are poor representations of F-100s. They're good kits, in that they're easy to build, but they're just not good kits of F-100s. Here's what I came up with on them:
http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=14940
If you want the most accurate F-100C model you can build, you're better off converting a Monogram kit. Using AMS's F-100C cockpit parts and tail will save you a lot of time. I think Two Bob's decals are sized to fit the Trumpeter tail, so they may not fit a correct F-100C tail without modification. Same would go for the nose scallops if you use a Monogram kit or if you try to correct the Trumpeter nose.

I don't have a lot of info on the Skyblazers, but it looks like they had similar mods to the T-Birds F-100Cs. The gunsight was definitely removed, the gun ports were faired over, and it looks like the smoke probe exited the fuselage in the same spot as where the drag chut attached under the fin.

HTH.

Ben

December 7th, 2011, 6:11 pm #8

Thanks Ben, that was just the information that I was looking for! And thanks to the others who posted also. Though I don't have immediate plans for a Thunderbird F-105B, thanks for the info!

December 10th, 2011, 10:18 pm #9

I'm a bit confused on this post concerning the F-100D.

Long ago I surfed some model sites and found the F-86E all painted up in the "SKYBLAZER" paint job. I found the real a/c in a museum too and saved the photos in my F-86 desktop folder.

Recently, Italeri came out with the 1:48 scale F-86E Sabre Jet and included the SKYBLAZER decals.

I built it this year and displayed the model at the 2011 IPMS/USA Omaha National convention this past August and it was displayed at the November 2011, ModelZona show down in Mesa, Arizona U.S.A.

I have problems trying to use Photobucket when I want to send photos.

So.....if someone emails me off line, I'll send some to you, then you can post them on H-Scale.....

Rodney
--------------