US Navy red/white scheme

US Navy red/white scheme

August 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm #1

Hi y'all, I'm sure this is one of those questions that's been asked multiple times, but when did this scheme first appear? You know, on trainers and test (utility?) aircraft and Twin Beeches and stuff. Did it replace the utility scheme of grey fuselage, yellow wings, and red (orange?) stripes and tail, or were they for two different purposes, at least initially?

Thanks- it isn't my period of expertise (if I have such a thing) and I know someone here (Tommy?) will know.

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

August 13th, 2012, 2:47 am #2

The white/international orange TRAINER (VT) scheme replaced the yellow trainer scheme.

Utility (VC)squadrons with the Engine Gray, yellow wings and orange tails performed a whole separate function apart from training nugget pilots. Those guys did stuff like target towing, electronic warfare simulation, drone control etc.
Andrew White

August 13th, 2012, 9:46 am #3

Reason for confusion is that I see things like the aforementioned Twin Beeches, and most recently a Skyraider that I think was testing something or other, and really quite a few odds and ends in the red/white scheme. Presumably it eventually was applied to more than mainstream trainers.

bob

p.s. "Red" might actually be International Orange.
Last edited by gingerbob on August 13th, 2012, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

August 13th, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

The white/international orange TRAINER (VT) scheme replaced the yellow trainer scheme.

Utility (VC)squadrons with the Engine Gray, yellow wings and orange tails performed a whole separate function apart from training nugget pilots. Those guys did stuff like target towing, electronic warfare simulation, drone control etc.
Loads of 1950s stuff had those colors (C-45s, etc, etc)

August 14th, 2012, 8:42 am #5

Hi y'all, I'm sure this is one of those questions that's been asked multiple times, but when did this scheme first appear? You know, on trainers and test (utility?) aircraft and Twin Beeches and stuff. Did it replace the utility scheme of grey fuselage, yellow wings, and red (orange?) stripes and tail, or were they for two different purposes, at least initially?

Thanks- it isn't my period of expertise (if I have such a thing) and I know someone here (Tommy?) will know.

bob
Gentlemen;

I lived for a number of years in in Pensacola so I know that the red/orange color on the trainers could apppear really red-ish on some and really orange-ish on others, but what's the best overall model color paint for dressing up my Two Bobs T-2 and the Roden T-28?

TIA

Bill Nix
Washingtonstaat, USA

August 14th, 2012, 2:35 pm #6

. . . International Orange (FS 12197) is correct, but I find that that color looks too dull and too yellow if the model is displayed under fluorescent lights. Since my models usually are viewed in display cases lit by fluorescent tubes, I substitute Testor Boyd "Sunburst" or Chevrolet Engine Red which look much more like International Orange in that light.

August 15th, 2012, 3:29 am #7

Thanks Paul, I'll try that!

August 15th, 2012, 11:19 pm #8

Gentlemen;

I lived for a number of years in in Pensacola so I know that the red/orange color on the trainers could apppear really red-ish on some and really orange-ish on others, but what's the best overall model color paint for dressing up my Two Bobs T-2 and the Roden T-28?

TIA

Bill Nix
Washingtonstaat, USA
Regardless of what it looks like, that's what it is...

August 18th, 2012, 12:50 am #9

bob
you'll see alot of birds with the international orange (and others completely in gsb and engine grey) from connies, to f4ds, to banshees, skynights, cougars trackers, neptunes and more...