Uh-oh, this does not bode well for accuracy....

Uh-oh, this does not bode well for accuracy....

July 30th, 2012, 6:40 pm #1

Just got the latest Flight Journal special edition on P-51 Mustang. On the contents page is a nice photo of Kermit Weeks' Tuskeegee-painted C model, with the caption: "Looking as if it could be England, 1944...."

I wonder how many more "groaners" I'll find in this rag before I'm finished....

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

July 30th, 2012, 7:16 pm #2

...that the P-51 only flew with the 8th AF? 

Thought everybody knew that.  

I read an article a while back that said the 332nd flew over the beaches of Normandy on D-Day in support of the OVERLORD landings...   

July 30th, 2012, 8:21 pm #3

Just got the latest Flight Journal special edition on P-51 Mustang. On the contents page is a nice photo of Kermit Weeks' Tuskeegee-painted C model, with the caption: "Looking as if it could be England, 1944...."

I wonder how many more "groaners" I'll find in this rag before I'm finished....

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!
those writing and editing have no relationship or interest in the subject on which they are reporting.

Example, this week at AirVenture one of the local reporters was interviewing two of the Doolittle Raiders...Dick Cole and Dave Thatcher, asking the same question three different ways. Each was replied in the exact same way by the two. Their "handler" had to end the interview because it was obvious she didn't know anything about the raid or the raiders and their role in this country's history.

When you point out to them (the media) about the fact that they had misidentified something...date, plane, branch of service...etc. They are clueless and could careless...so much for the first rule of journalism that I was taught in school...Accuracy.

Just heard a story on NPR about teaching history...seems kids in middle school into high school, now have already forgotten about 911 as well as many events prior to it, so it is no surprise they know little if anything about Gulf War I, Vietnam, Korea or WWII.