Two seat Zeros

Two seat Zeros

June 20th, 2012, 3:37 pm #1

After reading an article on the FHC two seat A6M3 repro, I did some online snooping and read about the real two seat modified 2bs, used for reconnaissance purposes.

Because a kit of this variant does not exist, would starting with an A6M2-K be out of the question, or would it be a case of modifying the interior?

Also, I imagine a kit bash would be in order to complete an A6M5-K?

Thanks much,

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt

June 20th, 2012, 3:48 pm #2

with the field modified second seat installed aft of the pilot position. It did not have the fuselage mods of the 2 seat trainers. BTW that original 2 seat field modified model 21 is still in existence in a museum in Japan.
Hasegawa does (did?) a version of the Zero trainer with the type 52 wing
[/IMG]

June 20th, 2012, 4:26 pm #3

After reading an article on the FHC two seat A6M3 repro, I did some online snooping and read about the real two seat modified 2bs, used for reconnaissance purposes.

Because a kit of this variant does not exist, would starting with an A6M2-K be out of the question, or would it be a case of modifying the interior?

Thanks much,

M.

It's good to have a friend here at my shoulder with a little time to spend, til I find love again -F. C. Collins W. C. Bickhardt
right now. I have this kit and it is very nice with a nicely detailed cockpit.

June 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm #4

with the field modified second seat installed aft of the pilot position. It did not have the fuselage mods of the 2 seat trainers. BTW that original 2 seat field modified model 21 is still in existence in a museum in Japan.
Hasegawa does (did?) a version of the Zero trainer with the type 52 wing
[/IMG]
As I said, I'm not sure if the two seat rear cockpit would need modifying. Also, I've not found anything about a Hasegawa 5-K, only the 2-K.

Cheers,

M.

June 20th, 2012, 6:29 pm #5

right now. I have this kit and it is very nice with a nicely detailed cockpit.
And suggested them to a modeler a few days ago, they look great. I'm surprised there isn't a 5-K.

M.

June 21st, 2012, 3:17 am #6

Thanks much,

M.

There was two of these and they are not very similar to the trainers at all. The canopy was made from extra canopies from a wreck and was fully enclosed front and rear. The rear portion seems to slide on the field modified planes, unlike the A6M2-k. The rear cockpit does not have any controls at all. Also, the FM'ed birds had full armament, unlike the trainers that only had 7.7mm's for gunnery training.

If you check the Famous Aircraft of the World series they have detail pics of the two seater in them, though not of the rear cockpit. Also, the Aerodetail book has some interior drawings I believe.

I hope that helps,

Chris

June 21st, 2012, 3:20 am #7

Thanks much,

M.

....there was an article in a model mag about doing the conversion.....seemed straight forward and fairly simple....bwdik

June 21st, 2012, 3:47 am #8

M.

June 21st, 2012, 4:03 am #9

There was two of these and they are not very similar to the trainers at all. The canopy was made from extra canopies from a wreck and was fully enclosed front and rear. The rear portion seems to slide on the field modified planes, unlike the A6M2-k. The rear cockpit does not have any controls at all. Also, the FM'ed birds had full armament, unlike the trainers that only had 7.7mm's for gunnery training.

If you check the Famous Aircraft of the World series they have detail pics of the two seater in them, though not of the rear cockpit. Also, the Aerodetail book has some interior drawings I believe.

I hope that helps,

Chris
Excellent Chris, just what I was after!! Hmm, so it seems modeling one of those would be a bit more tricky than simply using the 2-K kit, though perhaps modifying one of those would be easier than a complete scratch build. That is about what I suspected, but I was not certain. I'll keep the titles in mind.

On another note, it seems like building a 5-K would be more of a kit bash surgical procedure.

Cheers,

M.