Turkish RF-4E nose question

December 19th, 2017, 4:44 pm #1

I just ordered a set of decals that show, by way of illustration only, that the a/c represented had the later rounded camera nose yet I can't verify that by looking at pictures of RF-4E examples. Every single picture I find shows the earlier flatter camera configuration. I don't want to base a modeling decision on a decal illustration. Anyone know if there were any real life RF-4Es with a round nose in Turkish service? The specific a/c on the decal sheet is 77-0314, shot down just off the Syrian coast.

Many thanks for your help. If you prefer, contact me at underki@hotmail.com

December 19th, 2017, 5:14 pm #2

Hey! I posted a similar question and you can see the responses on pg 8 of the Jet Age and it’s dated Jan 15. I may be able to give you more specific answers from the RF 4 books I bought from Greece but I won’t be home again till Jan 2. My email is wig411955 at yahoo if you would like to contact me later. Merry Christmas !

Thanks Dan

December 19th, 2017, 5:40 pm #3

Seemed like a really rare question but I guess not. Maybe it's a bit more flexible than I thought

December 19th, 2017, 9:22 pm #4

I just ordered a set of decals that show, by way of illustration only, that the a/c represented had the later rounded camera nose yet I can't verify that by looking at pictures of RF-4E examples. Every single picture I find shows the earlier flatter camera configuration. I don't want to base a modeling decision on a decal illustration. Anyone know if there were any real life RF-4Es with a round nose in Turkish service? The specific a/c on the decal sheet is 77-0314, shot down just off the Syrian coast.

I found a photo of that aircraft by Googling "77-0314 RF-4E". Can't post it from my phone.
Last edited by Todd Enlund on December 19th, 2017, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

It's definitely a refaired nose...

December 20th, 2017, 1:54 am #5

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2e/f3/43 ... 3bc306.jpg

Trukish RF-4E's

December 20th, 2017, 2:02 am #6

Hello, Tom ...

Somewhere here I have references that show that the last 4 or 6 Turkish RF-4E's may have had the Aero-Faired Camera nose.

One with BuNO of the 6th (?) to last one also had the leading edge main slatted wings. These were the last RF-4E's built and I suspect that perhaps the only wing assemblies available were the slatted type and were used for those aircraft.

I have wanted to scale up the 1/48 Hasegawa aero-faired nose to make a master to cast these in clear resin for use on the Revell 1/32 model.

If you have to, build the model with the chisel nose and use a BuNo from an earlier time. But, leave off the slatted leading edge parts.

Contact me at 850 - 501 - 7958 for more info or photo via smart phone as my computer has been down for 2 days but came on a few minutes ago !!??

Good luck with your project, George

Note also that this aircraft has slatted wings ...

December 20th, 2017, 3:17 am #7

an unusual configuration for an RF-4.

Check here…

December 20th, 2017, 2:47 pm #8

From airfighters.com, there's 81 Turkish RF-4Es here. I didn't look at the serial numbers to see if the aircraft you want is here, but if nothing else, it may give you inspiration.

http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch. ... dis=thumbs

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

THK RF-4E

December 20th, 2017, 3:03 pm #9

Hi Tom,
77-0314 was one of the very last Phantoms build at St.Louis, and was equipped with the rounded nose and wing slats (as on F-4Es).
6 such equipped RF-4Es were supplied to the Turkish AF (THK) and another 6 to the Hellenic AF (HAF/PA). These 12 aircraft were also wired for use of AIM-9 Sidewinders for self defence and 77-0314 could also use the big LOROP pod installed in place of the underfuselage fuel tank.
If using the Hasegawa kit, you will only need a pair of slatted wings to make a really smart looking and interesting version.

The "Safaklar" Squadron also flew ex-German Luftwaffe RF-4Es with squared nose and without wing slats - in case you would like to make such a RF-4E, you will only need to change the serial.

On the www.airfighters.com link posted by Don you will find the sister ship 77-0313 with rounded nose and a.o. 69-7468 with squared nose (ex LW)

Greetings
Diego
HDL
Last edited by DiegoHDL on December 20th, 2017, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MANY THANKS!!!!

December 21st, 2017, 2:08 am #10

To everyone who helped out. I didn't even suspect the slatted wing. I shouldn't even have to say this but thanks also for just being cool and supportive. Everyone was so nice. I visit an armor forum occasionally and the very least I can expect is sarcasm. It gets worse from there. But anyway, thank you all so much! Put yourselves on the "nice" list for Christmas.