Tupolev I-4 WIP 4

Tupolev I-4 WIP 4

May 25th, 2011, 1:32 pm #1

I finally got a little more time in on the I-4. I don't know if this kit technically counts as "short run", but there certainly wasn't much effort put into its design to make sure that parts actually fit. I left off last time with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers--three pieces with no obvious way of putting them together and making them stick on the back of the plane somewhere. I ended up cutting the tabs on the horizontal stabs almost all the way off and butt-joining the pieces together. Then with some judicious filing I got the vertical stabilizer to fit over this:

I next drilled a small hole in the base of the vertical stabilizer and inserted some thin brass rod, and after drilling a corresponding hole in an appropriate position on the top of the fuselage, voila:

In this picture can also be seen the cylinder heads of the engine. These were also a trial, each being supplied as a separate cover piece plus little tiny exhaust pipes, all needing quite a bit of clean-up:

After much fumbling, filing, fiddling and picking up pieces off the floor, I ended up with a bunch of these:

Despite there being locating holes on the fuselage, they still required a steady hand to get more-or-less straight:

It turns out that the locating holes aren't quite evenly spaced around the circumference of the fuselage, but for me, just getting them on there was a triumph.

To show what this rather interesting design is going to look like, here it is with the top wing laid in place:

The next challenge, which must wait for another day, is a bunch of fiddly struts of ambiguous placement for undercarriage and top wing. I need to meditate and introspect for several days before deciding whether to install them before or after painting the major components.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart

May 25th, 2011, 2:27 pm #2

Bravo for sticking to your guns on this build. Nice job on the tail - I wondered how you were going to solve that one. It looks a perfect fit. Great job as well on the engine cylinders - that's a LOT of tiny bits - and they look spot on. Congrats on saving the floored pieces from the carpet monster! Good luck with the strut work - and getting the decals to lay down over that corrugated metal!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 25th, 2011, 3:04 pm #3

The corrugations are way over-scale and even if (a big "if") I could get decals to settle into them, I'd be concerned that the red stars would appear narrowed from lying in the corrugations. The odds just seem to great against me, one who can mess up the simplest of decals even on a flat surface.

So I'm thinking of doing this as a "What If" Spanish Civil War machine in Republican markings, which are eminently paintable--some red bands around wings and fuselage and a red-yellow-purple rudder.

Stuart

May 25th, 2011, 8:32 pm #4

I finally got a little more time in on the I-4. I don't know if this kit technically counts as "short run", but there certainly wasn't much effort put into its design to make sure that parts actually fit. I left off last time with the horizontal and vertical stabilizers--three pieces with no obvious way of putting them together and making them stick on the back of the plane somewhere. I ended up cutting the tabs on the horizontal stabs almost all the way off and butt-joining the pieces together. Then with some judicious filing I got the vertical stabilizer to fit over this:

I next drilled a small hole in the base of the vertical stabilizer and inserted some thin brass rod, and after drilling a corresponding hole in an appropriate position on the top of the fuselage, voila:

In this picture can also be seen the cylinder heads of the engine. These were also a trial, each being supplied as a separate cover piece plus little tiny exhaust pipes, all needing quite a bit of clean-up:

After much fumbling, filing, fiddling and picking up pieces off the floor, I ended up with a bunch of these:

Despite there being locating holes on the fuselage, they still required a steady hand to get more-or-less straight:

It turns out that the locating holes aren't quite evenly spaced around the circumference of the fuselage, but for me, just getting them on there was a triumph.

To show what this rather interesting design is going to look like, here it is with the top wing laid in place:

The next challenge, which must wait for another day, is a bunch of fiddly struts of ambiguous placement for undercarriage and top wing. I need to meditate and introspect for several days before deciding whether to install them before or after painting the major components.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
You're going to have a beautiful and unusual plane in your collection, i'm envious!

May 25th, 2011, 9:40 pm #5

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
This would've been an easier kit - I got on too in an Encore boxing and I always had high hopes for it - your build is a real eye opener, but I LOVE the subject, thanks for bringing it to our attention

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2)
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God