Trumpeter's F-100C Question

Trumpeter's F-100C Question

July 3rd, 2012, 1:40 pm #1

Thinking of doing up the 1/48th Trumpeter F-100c that I received as a gift a while back. I know that the nose is shaped wrong and that the landing gear/wheels are either too short or too small. My question is what is the consensus on the cockpit. Is it reasonably accurate?

Thanks,

Doug

July 3rd, 2012, 6:33 pm #2

Get some wheels from Royale Resins. The kit wheels are too tall and narrow.
The nose looks like the nose gear collapsed. Sprue has a replacement.
The pit is for a D, not a C. Look to Sprue again, but it isn't in stock at the moment.
Sprue has a better tail, but it can be corrected with some work on your part.
Do a search, Ben Brown has been a good resource for info on these kits.
Cheers,
Harold

July 4th, 2012, 3:00 pm #3

As in Sprue Bros? Do you have specific manufacturers?

Thnks,
Darren

July 4th, 2012, 3:23 pm #4

Try Sprue Brothers and look up AMS Resin, his stuff is fantastic!!!!

Dave

July 4th, 2012, 3:32 pm #5

Thinking of doing up the 1/48th Trumpeter F-100c that I received as a gift a while back. I know that the nose is shaped wrong and that the landing gear/wheels are either too short or too small. My question is what is the consensus on the cockpit. Is it reasonably accurate?

Thanks,

Doug
I've built a couple of these kits. There is no option for an open canopy so you can't see a lot of the cockpit. If you go to the trouble of doing an open canopy then you'll need an after market cockpit. The AMS nose and the Royal Resin wheels are a big improvment. To get the right "stance" you need to lenghten the nose gear.
Last edited by ppalmer on July 4th, 2012, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2012, 9:43 pm #6

Thanks,

Doug
Trumpeter ***totally*** hosed up the vertical fin. It's too tall, too wide, the rudder is completely wrong, and the prominent fuel dump/light fairing on the t/e is completely wrong. Other than that it's fine

July 7th, 2012, 12:20 am #7

Why not just use the Monogram F-100D and change whats necessary to get a good "C"

July 8th, 2012, 4:22 am #8

Thanks,

Doug
Trumpeter Strikes Again (sigh)

July 9th, 2012, 1:33 pm #9

I've built a couple of these kits. There is no option for an open canopy so you can't see a lot of the cockpit. If you go to the trouble of doing an open canopy then you'll need an after market cockpit. The AMS nose and the Royal Resin wheels are a big improvment. To get the right "stance" you need to lenghten the nose gear.
The problem with the stance is a combination of the main gear tires are too tall and the wings are too thin, which has the effect of lengthening the main gear struts. Swap out the wheels and knock about 2mm off of the tops of the struts, and the model will sit a little better.

Cheers!

Ben

July 9th, 2012, 1:40 pm #10

Thanks,

Doug
http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=14940

On further reflection, I think the cut line I marked for the leading edge of the F-100C fin should run PARALLEL to the leading edge, not slanting away from it as in the photo. If I can find the time this week, I'll go back and double-check.

HTH.

Ben