Trumpeter Hurricane accuracy

Trumpeter Hurricane accuracy

April 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has done a review that covered the accuracy of the Trumpeter 1/24th scale Hurricanes. I'm particularily interested in the accuracy of the wings panels. For example, I understand the Mk.IVs with their underwing cannons had different gun panels than the Mk.Is and IIs with machine guns or cannons inside their wings.

I'm thinking of a display for a local museum. The specific mark of Hurricane isn't as important as getting the details right.

Thanks,

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor_McTavish on April 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 10th, 2012, 8:09 pm #2

... but I think there's no clear-cut consensus on a good, accurate set of drawings for the Hurricane, so there's probably no consensus on the accuracy of the Trumpeter kit, either. 

April 10th, 2012, 8:14 pm #3

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has done a review that covered the accuracy of the Trumpeter 1/24th scale Hurricanes. I'm particularily interested in the accuracy of the wings panels. For example, I understand the Mk.IVs with their underwing cannons had different gun panels than the Mk.Is and IIs with machine guns or cannons inside their wings.

I'm thinking of a display for a local museum. The specific mark of Hurricane isn't as important as getting the details right.

Thanks,

Trevor
I have to ask, why, if the specific mark of Hurricane isn't important, and its going to on display in a museum, why the wing panels have to be correct...?

Graeme

April 10th, 2012, 8:19 pm #4

The mark doesn't matter because Canadians flew pretty much all marks of Hurricane, so I can find a person to match up to any plane I build. The panels matter because whichever plane I build, I'd like it to be as accurate as possible.

I know I wasn't clear in my original post.

Thanks though.

Trevor

April 10th, 2012, 8:20 pm #5

... but I think there's no clear-cut consensus on a good, accurate set of drawings for the Hurricane, so there's probably no consensus on the accuracy of the Trumpeter kit, either. 
I tried looking online for reviews, but while everyone comments on how they represented the fabric, no one tackled the panels.

Trevor

April 10th, 2012, 10:37 pm #6

Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Trevor
Is they boxed the latter style Mk II prop in the Mk I box....for your needs not a concern IMO.

It's their best effort 1/24th scale...engine a bit basic but close it up and don't sweat it

April 10th, 2012, 11:15 pm #7

They correctly extended the Hurricane II fuselage for the Merlin XX engine, but the actual engine in the kit is the same Merlin II from the Mk. I kit. Not an issue is you simply close up the engine panels.

Also, the red color of the roundels and fin flash is a little off on the decal sheet.

But there are somewhat minor issues. Otherwise it's a great kit.

April 11th, 2012, 1:06 am #8

I don't have the Mk II myself....I figure when I do do a 1/24th Hurri it'll be a Mk I for sure....

April 11th, 2012, 12:17 pm #9

Which have been widely available since 1980 and I thought they were as good as it gets - is that not the case and if so can you let me know where they are wrong?

I plan to use them for my PCM kits so it would be good to know if there are any issues with their accuracy.

cheers,
Chris

April 11th, 2012, 2:20 pm #10

...has to do with the depiction of how many stringers are visible on the rear fuselage and the exact shapes and locations of the fabric and metal panels.   I think Radu Brinzan's major re-work of the old Revell 1/32 Hurricane on LSP might touch on this (it's 30-some pages and I didn't dig all the way through it, but I know he used the Arthur Bentley drawings).  I know I saw something on LSP that showed the discrepancies of available drawings of this area at one time, I think it was this thread, or it may be mentioned in it.  

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index ... entry34907