True Details PV-1 cockpit fantasy or?

True Details PV-1 cockpit fantasy or?

April 4th, 2012, 11:32 am #1

Ok after getting a good look at it in what's new a couple of things, first, not a huge improvement over the kit, but some for sure. The second thing is that darned rear bulkhead we have discussed a few times here. True Details (Squadron) has it so it goes all the way across and has added a fire bottle above the opening. So do they know something we don't? I am very curious here, sorry if the horse is dead, made into a baseball and ready for opening day, but geeze!!
Rob

April 4th, 2012, 12:10 pm #2

I had a look at the images of the set and I can't really see any great changes or improvements over the kit parts that makes it worth buying.

Some of the other sets, eg new props or even Dmolds new front lower fueslage, are worth buying but not the cockpit set. This is with out even getting in to the accuracy, or not, of the set.

Warmest regards,

David Harvey
Editor
Aussie Modeller International.
http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au

April 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm #3

Ok after getting a good look at it in what's new a couple of things, first, not a huge improvement over the kit, but some for sure. The second thing is that darned rear bulkhead we have discussed a few times here. True Details (Squadron) has it so it goes all the way across and has added a fire bottle above the opening. So do they know something we don't? I am very curious here, sorry if the horse is dead, made into a baseball and ready for opening day, but geeze!!
Rob
The scan of the blue print below shows the large vertical rails that are on the front of the bulkhead in question (this view is aft, looking forward). The inside one clearly shows the angle inboard part way up, as do photographs of this area.

I am staring to wonder where the information for this full bulkhead comes from. Yet to find any photos/drawings or written word on a 'full bulkhead' in the flying crew station.

Cheers, Vic

Last edited by Vic Scheuerman on April 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2012, 2:13 pm #4

Rob
......I have certainly seen better from Squadron. Actually I was quite shocked by it, it can't be Scott's work.

Last edited by G.Fairfull on April 4th, 2012, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2012, 2:20 pm #5

In about 15 years. He did the beautiful early TD stuff and then went to CE.

April 4th, 2012, 4:15 pm #6

......I have certainly seen better from Squadron. Actually I was quite shocked by it, it can't be Scott's work.
I haven't worked at Squadron since 1994.

Frankly I would be ashamed to release/have this set in my resin line up.
But that is me and I am very critical of myself.

Others will be perfectly happy with this set, and as long as they are happy that's all that matters.

Scotty B

April 4th, 2012, 4:35 pm #7

The scan of the blue print below shows the large vertical rails that are on the front of the bulkhead in question (this view is aft, looking forward). The inside one clearly shows the angle inboard part way up, as do photographs of this area.

I am staring to wonder where the information for this full bulkhead comes from. Yet to find any photos/drawings or written word on a 'full bulkhead' in the flying crew station.

Cheers, Vic
What drawins/pictures they used? The closest I have come to the full bulkhead is in one or two pictures of later PV-1s flying over the Pacific, what looks like "maybe" something behind the copilot, but I finally decided it was shadows and not anything. And I would love to find evidence because I built and closed everything up before I noticed it was not correct in the kit, so mines wrong! I wish we knew who designed the set and what refence they used, I mean they added a fire bottle for gosh sakes that is a very specific detail, did they just make that up? Did they use a PV 2 cockpit? Now I am very curious!
Rob

April 4th, 2012, 9:07 pm #8

I haven't worked at Squadron since 1994.

Frankly I would be ashamed to release/have this set in my resin line up.
But that is me and I am very critical of myself.

Others will be perfectly happy with this set, and as long as they are happy that's all that matters.

Scotty B
My eyes always perk up when I see your posts.

Sorry to even associate you with Squadron. I thought you were doing work for Trus Details now. I should have worded that better. I should have stated I know that for sure is not Scott's. Not that can't be Scott's.

I still think your stuff is the best. I still have the two Cutting Edge Hornet cockpits you sent me.