Tread construction using individual links

Tread construction using individual links

July 14th, 2012, 9:24 pm #1

I primarily build aircraft but recently bought the Trumpeter 1/35 Soviet B-4 M1931 203mm Howitzer kit for a diversion. My armor builds have been few and very far between so I am just a beginner in some respect. This kit has track treads made using individual links and that's where I'm stumped as to the best way to build the tracks. The links do not snap together - they glue together. What is the best way to build the treads and end up with a convincing look to the treads? I'm assuming the individual links will require being painted while still attached to their sprue. The instructions show 38 links per tread. ANY help would be MOST appreciated. This is a very detailed and unusual looking piece of artillery with its tracks instead of the usual wheels, a very good fitting model and too costly to end up on the shelf of doom because I cannot get the tracks done in a realistic manner. Thanks for any advice.

Keep 'em flyin'

July 14th, 2012, 11:36 pm #2

Build (glue together) the tracks into two or three sections per side. In other words, glue all of them together, but leave two or three "breaks" where there is no glue. Then press fit the two or three sections on each side while the glue is still setting and flexible, so you can form them perfectly to the running gear. Make sure not to use too much glue so it runs onto your running gear and cements the tracks to it. Once the tracks are formed and fit the running gear nicely, leave them to dry and harden.

DON'T paint the tracks until they have been glued and are completely dry. If you paint them first, then each time you glue a link together, the paint will interfere with the glue, making it a nightmare to keep them all glued together adequately. Ask me how I know this...

After they are completely dry, paint and weather them to taste, then glue the sections onto the model. You will only need to scrape away point for the three joins, not every link.

Hope this helps you.

Scott Gentry

July 14th, 2012, 11:55 pm #3

I primarily build aircraft but recently bought the Trumpeter 1/35 Soviet B-4 M1931 203mm Howitzer kit for a diversion. My armor builds have been few and very far between so I am just a beginner in some respect. This kit has track treads made using individual links and that's where I'm stumped as to the best way to build the tracks. The links do not snap together - they glue together. What is the best way to build the treads and end up with a convincing look to the treads? I'm assuming the individual links will require being painted while still attached to their sprue. The instructions show 38 links per tread. ANY help would be MOST appreciated. This is a very detailed and unusual looking piece of artillery with its tracks instead of the usual wheels, a very good fitting model and too costly to end up on the shelf of doom because I cannot get the tracks done in a realistic manner. Thanks for any advice.

Keep 'em flyin'
If you want/can spend the extra $$, Friul make a nice workable metal set for this kit. You can paint/finish them and then attach them when done. They are more realistic looking IMHO.

Jim

July 15th, 2012, 2:48 am #4

nt

July 15th, 2012, 4:19 am #5

Keep 'em flyin'
Pit Road designed the idler wheel to be adjustable so that the tracks will hang properly. If you just set the wheel into the provided hole you may have problems as many have.

July 16th, 2012, 4:14 pm #6

Just wondering? I have the Trumpeter kit so I was curious.

Scott

July 16th, 2012, 6:51 pm #7

The Pit Road and Trumpeter 203mm B4 are the same kit. Pit Roads was for the domestic Japanese market while the Trumpeter one was for everyone else.

Roy

July 16th, 2012, 7:11 pm #8

Keep 'em flyin'
As mentioned, Trumpeter reboxed the Pit Road kit and sold the included crew separately. Its a nice kit but hard to build in a few spots; the tracks being one of them.

I used the kit links here...

[/IMG]

They fit well enough but lack definition between the links when assembled. I bought a set of Spade Ace workable metal tracks from Hobby Easy to use on a second kit...

To build the Trumpeter links, I started on the bottom and glued enough links together to cover the area between the front and back roadwheel. Then build two small sections of links to go from the bottom up to the top of the sprocket and idler wheels. You can glue a bunch of links together with a slow drying glue, let it set up a few minutes, then wrap it around the wheels and glue in place. Lastly build a big straight run to cover the top. You can adjust the fit by adding/easing up on the sag between the top roller wheels.

The kit gun barrel is rather poor and if you have not assembled up to that point, get the inexpensive RB Models metal 1 piece barrel. Saves a lot of time and looks much better

[/IMG]

The trailer wheels have rubber tires but the real towing limber had steel rims.

July 16th, 2012, 7:18 pm #9

nt
1/3 the price of the Friul ones and just as nice. Can't go wrong for the price.

July 16th, 2012, 8:27 pm #10

Keep 'em flyin'
nt