Torpedo colors

Torpedo colors

June 26th, 2012, 1:37 am #1

I am building and Elco 80',and what are the correct colors for the roll off Torpedos ?
Any help would be appericated.
Ron

June 26th, 2012, 3:51 am #2

The lighting makes it look a little too brassy. I used Alclad steel with a hint of brass

Mike Witous

S.F.

Visit us at: http://www.meetup.com/TemValModClub/
Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

June 26th, 2012, 5:06 pm #3

I am building and Elco 80',and what are the correct colors for the roll off Torpedos ?
Ron
On many models the bombs, rockets, torpedoes, etc., look pristine when they should look more worn. A perfectly painted warhead is unlikely.

June 26th, 2012, 10:56 pm #4

Ron
Ron,

The main body and propeller are brass, but the steering vanes are stainless. See the picture in the build guide I posted below - I have included a picture of a 22.5" torpedoe from the Navy Musuem in Washginton, D.C.

Operationally, the torpedoe bodies had bare metal covered in a layer of cosmoline - a dark brown viscous material used to combat corrosion. I simulated this with a thick wash of dark brown oil based paint over the brass. Again - see the build guide for how I did this.

There is some "controversy" over warhead color - but I've found some color pics with dark grey on a similar torpedoe being loaded onto an Avenger so I went with that.

Here is the build guide:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69262040/PT%20Boat%20Build.pdf

Take care,

John

June 28th, 2012, 2:56 am #5

wouldn't a finish like that reflect unwanted light ???

thought for sure they would be painted OD or something very dull

June 29th, 2012, 12:30 am #6

Ron
If you spend any time looking at photos of PTs, you'll notice a rather broad range of torpedo color schemes. Here are two contemporary color shots:

Live warhead, preservative-covered body and tail

Practice warhead (yellow), preservative-covered body and tail

Al Ross

July 1st, 2012, 11:29 am #7

Hey Al thank yoi for the color pictures .You cannot beat the color proof.Thanks again to all who have help me in this project.
Ron D.

July 3rd, 2012, 1:17 pm #8

If you spend any time looking at photos of PTs, you'll notice a rather broad range of torpedo color schemes. Here are two contemporary color shots:

Live warhead, preservative-covered body and tail

Practice warhead (yellow), preservative-covered body and tail

Al Ross

Thanks Al looks like they are steel color with cosmoline spread on them .Al your thoughs.My PT is coming along nicely
Ron

July 3rd, 2012, 10:19 pm #9

The Ordnance Pamphlet for the MK13 (OP629A) describes the body and tail sections as being made from "forged steel".

Al