Today was one of the worst days of my life.

August 11th, 2018, 11:27 pm #1

I was awakened about 9:00 this morning by a loud series of noises — BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM! — that sounded like something extremely large and heavy hitting our building, and Linda yells, "The ceiling's fallen in!" "Where?" "In the hall! The stairwell!" So I rush out of the bedroom to see a softball-sized hole where a chunk of plaster has fallen onto the stairs. It had been raining, but there's no water damage we can see, the ceiling underneath is still intact and not wet, and there's no visible damage to the roof outside. We call the apartment's emergency number, and a maintenance guy comes over to check, but he's as mystified as we are. He says he'll report it, but nothing can be done until Monday. I called the fire department on the non-emergency number and reported it, and they sent a pumper truck and three firefighters. One of them crawled up in the attic and inspected and saw no obvious structural damage, We were wondering if this building is safe to stay in, but I guess it's okay, so all we can do is sweep up the broken plaster and wait until Monday. We have a bag packed in case we have to leave in a hurry.

Ceiling debris.JPG Ceiling damage.JPG
So I decided to stick my head up in the attic and see for myself. This is what I saw:

Attic 1.JPG Attic 2.JPG
That looks like pretty shoddy construction and/or repairs to me.

Being awakened by the ceiling falling in was bad enough, but then this afternoon we lost our cat Samantha to terminal kidney failure. She had started to have obvious difficulties with elimination and urination, so we took her to the emergency vet. We were told there was no hope so made the sad decision to put her down. She was a sweet kitty, but she'd had a rough life. We adopted her from a rescue organization, and we were her third home. Rest in peace, Sammy. You brought much love into our lives, and we will miss you terribly.

Samantha Web.jpg
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

August 12th, 2018, 12:00 am #2

regrets for Sam...dunno 'bout that hole in the wall ! somebody up there? accessible from 'nutter apt? (I've seen it in my police work !) no hole in roof so rules out meteor..hmmm?
think I'd report to housing/rent authority( maybe building permits?)  that's run by your local Gov't and have an inspector look at that and the mickey mouse area above ceiling. don't look to be code to me....Tom
It is requested that everyone remain silent,.... and standing

August 12th, 2018, 12:12 am #3

tombguard wrote: regrets for Sam...dunno 'bout that hole in the wall ! somebody up there? accessible from 'nutter apt? (I've seen it in my police work !) no hole in roof so rules out meteor..hmmm?
think I'd report to housing/rent authority( maybe building permits?)  that's run by your local Gov't and have an inspector look at that and the mickey mouse area above ceiling. don't look to be code to me....Tom
No damage to roof (no meteor). The attic is probably accessible from other apartments. And that's a great idea about reporting it to the city; I think I'll do that on Monday.

And thanks for the regrets for Samantha. We already miss the little furball.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

August 12th, 2018, 12:42 am #4

Sorry about the passing time of Samantha. I’m sure you provided Samantha a great life. Time will help- maybe later you can rescue another cat?
Scott Copeland

August 12th, 2018, 2:53 am #5

Sorry to hear about Samantha. I hope everything else works out ok.
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

August 12th, 2018, 4:40 am #6

Hello, Mike ~ ~ 

Having done residential remodeling for some ten years ... that is some of the sorriest looking carpentry I've ever seen !!  I agree with suggestion that you notify proper zoning agency and let them inspect the attic more for whatever they find ... Is that "hurricane clips" holding the 2 x 4's to the roof truss ?  Are they also on the bottom joint ?  I hope that you are safe staying there, but the suitcase is a good idea.  

Does  that wall abut an adjoining apartment ?  Whatever caused this came thru a vertical wall and not the ceiling ??  Something does not seem to add up here ???  

Very sorry to hear about your kitty ... It hurts just about like losing a child -- they are part of the family !!!  George Campbell

August 12th, 2018, 5:39 am #7

We live in a two- story townhouse, and the hole is in the ceiling of the stairwell between the two floors, in the center of the apartment. The light you see in the second photo is on an interior stairwell wall near the ceiling. Whatever caused the damage came from inside the attic.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

August 12th, 2018, 6:28 am #8

Neighbor trying to gain access to rob ya and post holed a foot thru the ceiling? Or a big heavy racoon?

Yeah, a lot of that framing looks like temp (for just hrs/day!) construction bracing!!

August 12th, 2018, 2:22 pm #9

" ... It hurts just about like losing a child "

Honestly, George, I shouldn't even dignify this ridiculous statement with a comment of my own. But, I will. Make this same statement to my Dad who had to bury his 26-year old son 32 years ago and still grieves to this day. The only time I saw my stoic German father and Korean War veteran cry (he's now 91). A man who also loved his pets, but didn't shed a tear when they passed...

You probably wish a Happy Mother's Day to all the "pet Mom's" too, huh? Yeah, 'cause it's the same as raising a child. 

O.K. rant over.

Mike, do yourself a favor. Go adopt another cat from the shelter and find an apartment with concrete block firebreaks between each unit that extend at least 11" above the roof line. No one will be able to gain access to your unit through the attic (which is what appears to have happened) and any fire starting in another unit will have a hard time spreading to yours. The cat will keep your feet warm at night.

Regards,
Don
Last edited by DoninCincy on August 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm #10

Sorry to hear of Samantha's passing. I know how difficult it can be losing a beloved pet.

Chris
I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.