To Builders of Accurate Miniatures SBD-1 Dauntless -- Did you have problems with the front

To Builders of Accurate Miniatures SBD-1 Dauntless -- Did you have problems with the front

April 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm #1

surface of the pilot's instrument panel - i.e. brushing a flat black paint on the surface surface and then dry brushing on silver to highlight the instrument faces (sunk, but raised inside the dial circles), buttons etc. I've done as lot of "Dry Brushing" in my 87 years, but this one that I just finished looks pretty bad -- crappy actually! I'm thinking about striping it and starting over!. I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Frank
Last edited by Frank on April 4th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

April 4th, 2018, 3:01 pm #2

If a "Bosworth" sent me an email, I just accidently deleted it. Please repeat.
Frank

April 4th, 2018, 4:53 pm #3

surface of the pilot's instrument panel - i.e. brushing a flat black paint on the surface surface and then dry brushing on silver to highlight the instrument faces (sunk, but raised inside the dial circles), buttons etc. I've done as lot of "Dry Brushing" in my 87 years, but this one that I just finished looks pretty bad -- crappy actually! I'm thinking about striping it and starting over!. I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

Frank
tried instrument decals?

April 4th, 2018, 5:17 pm #4

to the back surface. There are no instrument decals for the front surface supplied with the kit. Are you suggesting after market decals? I'll look through my decal box and see if I have any the right size, and if I do, I'll try one.
Last edited by Frank on April 4th, 2018, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

April 4th, 2018, 5:21 pm #5

I thought they had instrument faces printed on the side of the decal where the adhesive is. I thought they had actual dial illustrations, not just black dots. That being said, I haven't used min yet…
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

April 4th, 2018, 5:33 pm #6

The decals in my kit are just black dots even under 18X magnification.
Frank

April 4th, 2018, 5:43 pm #7

Frank,

If I recall correctly the dial faces are on the back side of the decal (I.e., the black dots).

HTH,

John

April 4th, 2018, 5:45 pm #8

The decals in my kit are just black dots even under 18X magnification.
So what look like "black dots" should have the instrument details printed on the side against the paper, which has the adhesive. In other words, the side that's "down" would show through the clear dial faces, and the "black dots" would be the back side of the instruments when applied. It was quite an innovation when first released. Reviews were mixed.

Rich

April 4th, 2018, 6:01 pm #9

Frank,

If I recall correctly the dial faces are on the back side of the decal (I.e., the black dots).

HTH,

John
Oooo! My error!
Frank

April 4th, 2018, 6:02 pm #10

So what look like "black dots" should have the instrument details printed on the side against the paper, which has the adhesive. In other words, the side that's "down" would show through the clear dial faces, and the "black dots" would be the back side of the instruments when applied. It was quite an innovation when first released. Reviews were mixed.

Rich
Thanks Rich. I'll re examiny my approach here.
Frank