To all who would be buying a new car, any make......

To all who would be buying a new car, any make......

March 28th, 2012, 5:55 pm #1

when you buy a new car, do you make it a good deal by making an offer/ask for incentives or do you pay MSRP??

Just a poll. Sounds like an obvious response but apparently someone here thinks that making an offer is insulting. How can that be? Isn't bartering, wheel & dealing part of every red blooded American?? And it does not pertain to just cars. It could be electronics, wood for a deck, a new home, appliances,so on & so on.....
I seriously doubt that anyone here would walk in to a new car dealership, plop yourself into the Salesman's chair and say "Hey Jim, I am going to support my local car dealer by not asking for your best price, declining any incentives and special monthly deals. Just hit me with your MSRP price and I'll drive it home today".

Fat chance....

Last edited by audiguy on March 28th, 2012, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 6:13 pm #2

I think bargaining is situation/product dependent. US culture, by and large, isn't one where one is expected to haggle over everything.

For the most part I "learned" that the marked price is the marked price in a retail store. It does not occur to me to go to a department store and ask for the "best" price on a new shirt or shoes. For better or worse, I assume the best price available at that time is what is on the tag. Same with the grocery store, hardware store, etc.

Cars, now yeah, there's a different deal. I've "learned" there that one does haggle and look for the best price, which is rarely the one written on the window. Same goes for a yard sale, flea market, real estate, plane trading, etc.

Where did those mores come from? Heck if I know, I must have picked them up from my folks and those others around me as I grew up. I just know that there are situations where I'm comfortable haggling a bit, and situations where I'm not.

Mike

March 28th, 2012, 6:20 pm #3

when you buy a new car, do you make it a good deal by making an offer/ask for incentives or do you pay MSRP??

Just a poll. Sounds like an obvious response but apparently someone here thinks that making an offer is insulting. How can that be? Isn't bartering, wheel & dealing part of every red blooded American?? And it does not pertain to just cars. It could be electronics, wood for a deck, a new home, appliances,so on & so on.....
I seriously doubt that anyone here would walk in to a new car dealership, plop yourself into the Salesman's chair and say "Hey Jim, I am going to support my local car dealer by not asking for your best price, declining any incentives and special monthly deals. Just hit me with your MSRP price and I'll drive it home today".

Fat chance....
It'll be awhile before I really need a new car...when I do I might try and pay cash and see if that gets me a break....since I own 2 Saturns (2008 Vue and 2004 Ion) with decent milege on both unless the Ion totally dies and I want to keep 2 cars I doubt I buy a new car for at least 5 years...Vue has 33.000 miles on it...Ion 60.000.....

March 28th, 2012, 6:27 pm #4

I think bargaining is situation/product dependent. US culture, by and large, isn't one where one is expected to haggle over everything.

For the most part I "learned" that the marked price is the marked price in a retail store. It does not occur to me to go to a department store and ask for the "best" price on a new shirt or shoes. For better or worse, I assume the best price available at that time is what is on the tag. Same with the grocery store, hardware store, etc.

Cars, now yeah, there's a different deal. I've "learned" there that one does haggle and look for the best price, which is rarely the one written on the window. Same goes for a yard sale, flea market, real estate, plane trading, etc.

Where did those mores come from? Heck if I know, I must have picked them up from my folks and those others around me as I grew up. I just know that there are situations where I'm comfortable haggling a bit, and situations where I'm not.

Mike
am not afraid to ask anyone if the situation warrants it. I asked at a WalMart store once and got 10% off a gallon of lacquer thinner because the can was fairly dented. I even got a handshake from that manager as he knew that no one would buy a dented product!!! When I am on vacation down in S.A. or Mexico, the Caribbean, Oh yeah, I am in my element. No such thing to me as "Sticker price" be it gold, silver, or high-end upper shelf watches. Must be the "Don Rickles" effect "....A deal deal!!!"

There are two types of people who make offers: Those who are poor because their finances do not allow MSRP and then there are the wealthy who are wealthy because they are cheap skates!

My rule of thumb is: I can only ask. If I get a "no" , well, that is what I started with in the first place so I have lost nothing!!

March 28th, 2012, 6:28 pm #5

It'll be awhile before I really need a new car...when I do I might try and pay cash and see if that gets me a break....since I own 2 Saturns (2008 Vue and 2004 Ion) with decent milege on both unless the Ion totally dies and I want to keep 2 cars I doubt I buy a new car for at least 5 years...Vue has 33.000 miles on it...Ion 60.000.....
See where they are at today??? Bye bye birdie......

March 28th, 2012, 6:48 pm #6

Fat chance....
...that you were going to let that go?

March 28th, 2012, 6:56 pm #7

I was but I just wanted to kick the beehive one last time n/t
Last edited by audiguy on March 28th, 2012, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2012, 7:21 pm #8

might indicate that there were some in the previous thread who thought your demeanor may have come across as insulting to the hobby shop owner you were so enthralled with.

You are certainly a paradox Larry. Full of bluster, you admittedly ("I was but I just wanted to kick the beehive one last time") enjoy tossing hand grenades just to see the reaction, and yet you will also seemingly go out of your way to help a guy get his truck repaired correctly.

I think I'd like at least your on line persona better if it were heavier on the later. Just me though.

Mike

March 28th, 2012, 7:36 pm #9

Mike
...which is a another form of making a deal.

It never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no.

With the advent of smart phones it's very easy to comparison shop. Many retailers faced this exact scenario this past Christmas.

I wanted a wall mount for my TV. I went to Best Buy and found one I liked, looked on my phone for the same brand/model and found it for 60% less. I showed it to the salesman and he grudgingly accepted the offer.

You have to wheel and deal....

March 28th, 2012, 7:46 pm #10

might indicate that there were some in the previous thread who thought your demeanor may have come across as insulting to the hobby shop owner you were so enthralled with.

You are certainly a paradox Larry. Full of bluster, you admittedly ("I was but I just wanted to kick the beehive one last time") enjoy tossing hand grenades just to see the reaction, and yet you will also seemingly go out of your way to help a guy get his truck repaired correctly.

I think I'd like at least your on line persona better if it were heavier on the later. Just me though.

Mike
I think I come across far too brash which I am not. My online persona must have given the idea that I went into this h/shop, grabbed this guy by the collar and face vaulted him to the counter top which was not the case at all. I was very pleasant and did not even point out to this hire help that I have seen these same kits for the last 3 years to the first guy I spoke to. Add to that, I was in street clothes (no, not a hoodie!) and not in my norm suit & tie and neither one of us saw what car we emerged from. I knew his because his plate read "hobby 1"
I am actually a good natured guy and as you have read will go above & beyond to help anyone who should ask me for help.
I am going to heed your words and reinsert the pin back into the grenade. I will say that I work in arrogance as my team is a bunch of Prima-donna's , myself included. Well, no one is that good. I will move forward and post in a different demeanor. Honey over vinegar comes to mind!
You know, everyone needs a wake up call. I'll take it!
Sincere regards,
Larry
Last edited by audiguy on March 28th, 2012, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.