Tiny update on Felixstowe...finally!

Tiny update on Felixstowe...finally!

September 4th, 2011, 3:59 am #1

All,

These two pictures don't really do justice to the amount of work put in, but I finally got back to rigging this guy and am in the home stretch. I got all the control horns on, tail struts, the wing tips rigged, the bombs placed and the tip floats installed.

Now I only have to add all the control wires for the tails and ailerons.

THAT'S all...oh boy.

More soon on this long weekend here in the USA.

September 4th, 2011, 8:01 am #2

But such a beautiful result so far! Man, I hope to be good enough to build a Felixstowe like that one day. Bravo!

September 4th, 2011, 9:09 am #3

All,

These two pictures don't really do justice to the amount of work put in, but I finally got back to rigging this guy and am in the home stretch. I got all the control horns on, tail struts, the wing tips rigged, the bombs placed and the tip floats installed.

THAT'S all...oh boy.

Looking really Spiffy, Dan!

September 4th, 2011, 1:03 pm #4

All,

THAT'S all...oh boy.

s

September 4th, 2011, 1:45 pm #5

All,

THAT'S all...oh boy.

Would love to see this beast in person.
What are you using for rigging material?

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

September 4th, 2011, 3:15 pm #6

All,

THAT'S all...oh boy.

Not showing a "full" picture - ah I can understand, building up to a climax

Looks great - wiring and control horns, tedious jobs... I think it would take me years

Looking forward to the finished product

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part IV
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

September 4th, 2011, 10:57 pm #7

But such a beautiful result so far! Man, I hope to be good enough to build a Felixstowe like that one day. Bravo!
All this thing has taken is patience and time. It's not super hard but goes pretty slowly. Lots of prep and planning but well worth it. You also have to like drag, wings and wires! The kit itself is well made and things fit very well...better than other Roden kits I've tried (most being what people call "fiddly").

After this one I'll try their Gotha G-III which is an older kit and I'll see how well THAT one fits!

Thanks for your comments.

September 4th, 2011, 10:58 pm #8

Looking really Spiffy, Dan!
It will be nice to see it all done and with the HP 0/400!

Cheers.

September 4th, 2011, 11:00 pm #9

s
This has been quite different than the old Lightning you gave me! Lots more drag...

Hopefully it will be done soon.

September 4th, 2011, 11:06 pm #10

Would love to see this beast in person.
What are you using for rigging material?

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Fly out to McMinville Oregon to see the Spruce Goose on Sept. 17th. I hope to have this guy done for a model show at the museum on that day!

Most of the wing rigging around the struts (the real structural stuff that gives rigidity) has been invisible mending thread colored with black Sharpie. It makes the whole thing very strong!

The top wing rigging around the ailerons and those rectangular covered king posts (?) is stretched clear sprue again with Sharpie coloring. The rest of the rigging is pretty complex...especially the tail unit...since there are 4 lines on the top for the stab and 4 on the bottom...they all come together near the side gun window. The rudder has two lines per side that does similar. Plus...the ailerons need to have lines going around a couple of pulleys etc. I am thinking of using elastic but haven't quite figured this out yet. Wish me luck!