Three Soviet WWII fighters in 1/48 for Red Steve...

Three Soviet WWII fighters in 1/48 for Red Steve...

May 26th, 2012, 4:37 pm #1

These three are from last year. Doing a lot of photo shooting taday, so here they are. All paint is Pollyscale.

First up is the Eduard Yak-3, Normandie Nieman, with markings from the box. Spinner is hand painted, as I couldn't figure out how to mask it:

Next is the excellent Zvezda La-5, with very old Aeromaster markings:

Finally is the La-5FN converted to a -5F with the AML resin bits and decals:

bob
sierrascale
Last edited by Bob Norgren on May 26th, 2012, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm #2

lkj;

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

May 26th, 2012, 6:34 pm #3

These three are from last year. Doing a lot of photo shooting taday, so here they are. All paint is Pollyscale.

First up is the Eduard Yak-3, Normandie Nieman, with markings from the box. Spinner is hand painted, as I couldn't figure out how to mask it:

bob
sierrascale
first nice builds!

the easiest way to paint and mask the red white and blue spinner is like this..

1. Paint the baby blue on the tip and let that dry..

2. use a very thin strip of tape and mask where the edge of the blue will meet the white the tape will not be able to lay down flat though - you don't need to just do the one side. I then use parafilm to mask the rest of the blue colored spinner.

3. paint the white color - but remove the mask before it drys (avoids the paint cracking along the mask lines). Then repeat the masking where the edge of the white will meet the red.

Pain in the *** but that's what I do when I have a curved surface that needs to be masked - go from the narrower parts and move backwards.

It does work though

Frank

May 26th, 2012, 7:52 pm #4

nt

May 26th, 2012, 7:58 pm #5

lkj;

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!
how dingy that La-5 looks. Need to practice shooting pix, too.

bob
sierrascale

May 26th, 2012, 9:42 pm #6

bob
sierrascale
I've got plenty more Russian kits if you're running low :P

May 26th, 2012, 10:27 pm #7

bob
sierrascale
Russians had some cool birds, nice work. Just watchout that middle one don't bite you!

May 26th, 2012, 10:30 pm #8

how dingy that La-5 looks. Need to practice shooting pix, too.

bob
sierrascale
aaanannnnnd that La-5 is my favorite! What an audacious paint scheme. cheers, Len

May 26th, 2012, 11:22 pm #9

surgery now scheduled for June 20th on the right eye, which now has the clarity of waxed pager.

bob
sierrascale

May 27th, 2012, 2:06 am #10

bob
sierrascale
...right now I am on a WW1 binge! But....then I may have to dig out that 48th MiG-3!!