Thinning Acrylics Vallejo?

Thinning Acrylics Vallejo?

August 9th, 2009, 4:41 pm #1

August 9, 2009

Hello, all: I'm just now trying this paint. Should it be thinned before painting figures? If so, about what percentage? Any particular thinners recommended? Are there any hints, or things for which I should look out for with the product?

TIA,

Horton

Mike Kirchoff
Mike Kirchoff

August 10th, 2009, 1:52 am #2

Horton,
Yes, you can thin Vallejo for brush painting, but the acrylic properties of the paint make it pretty much self-leveling. I do reduce the paint to a thinner consistency by using distilled water and a drop of two of Vallejo thinner and slow dry.

Mike Kirchoff

John Wojak
John Wojak

August 10th, 2009, 3:00 pm #3

August 9, 2009

Hello, all: I'm just now trying this paint. Should it be thinned before painting figures? If so, about what percentage? Any particular thinners recommended? Are there any hints, or things for which I should look out for with the product?

TIA,

Horton
You should thin it 50/50 with distilled water for basecoating. Then, to add your highlight and shadow shades, they should be thinned much more - one part paint to anywhere from 5 to 10 parts water, using the heavily diluted paint to build up the highlights and shadows slowly over several coats, with successively lighter or darker shades for the very tips of the highlights or bottoms of the shadows.

August 12th, 2009, 12:58 am #4

August 9, 2009

TIA,

Horton
and yes, it DOES make a difference. I use 10 parts water to 1 part paint.

A good friend will be there to bail you out of jail in the morning. A great friend will be sitting next to you, asking "how did we get caught?"

August 23rd, 2009, 1:26 am #5

August 9, 2009

TIA,

Horton
Distilled water, yes, but for some things that old wonder whatever, Future, it 'retards' the paint makes blending easier, it is a good 'medium', cheap and lots of uses. FWIW

Merrill