Thinking about stepping away from the hobby for while.

Thinking about stepping away from the hobby for while.

April 5th, 2012, 1:35 am #1

I've got two builds ongoing on the bench. The MPM 1/48 Fw-189B-2 and the GW 1/48 Fw-189A-2. I plan on finishing them within the next few weeks. However, I think when I finish them, I'm going to pack up the modeling gear and stow it all away for a while. I've simply got more important things to take care of before I can sit back down and enjoy the hobby like I did before all the uncertainty of the past few years.

I've got cars to rebuild/restore. I've got a house to do a LOT of work on. Also a LOT of other building projects I'd like to do around the house while I can. I figure I have enough kits in the stash that I'll never have to buy another.

Perhaps if I can get the couple of building projects that I've been designing as to help add some value to the house and to provide me with a dedicated place to enjoy and display this particular hobby, I'll get back into it within a couple of years..

The new job is going well and is turning out to be quite promising. Hopefully the money I'll be making there will help me get these house projects done sooner and I won't be perpetually working on this place. I've had to put off some major repairs due to financial situations and have been Band-aiding things as I go. I can do the work myself and materials aren't getting any cheaper with each passing day.

However, this doesn't mean I'm leaving Hyperscale at all. I've been here since 1998 and I couldn't imagine not dropping in and keeping up on everyone elses builds..

Cheers,
Dave

April 5th, 2012, 1:38 am #2

Haven't got any kit near finished, but I just can't get motivated with everything else going on. Between work, baseball and softball I just don't get enough time to get anything done. May pack the airbrush and kits away for awhile......

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

April 5th, 2012, 1:59 am #3

Seven years or so was my longest break. Job, family, whatever. But I kept in touch with the hobby (not easy, pre-internet days!).
Something will draw you back, when it's time. It will all be familiar, though a bit different in some ways.
It will feel GOOD to be back at it.

April 5th, 2012, 2:12 am #4

I've got two builds ongoing on the bench. The MPM 1/48 Fw-189B-2 and the GW 1/48 Fw-189A-2. I plan on finishing them within the next few weeks. However, I think when I finish them, I'm going to pack up the modeling gear and stow it all away for a while. I've simply got more important things to take care of before I can sit back down and enjoy the hobby like I did before all the uncertainty of the past few years.

I've got cars to rebuild/restore. I've got a house to do a LOT of work on. Also a LOT of other building projects I'd like to do around the house while I can. I figure I have enough kits in the stash that I'll never have to buy another.

Perhaps if I can get the couple of building projects that I've been designing as to help add some value to the house and to provide me with a dedicated place to enjoy and display this particular hobby, I'll get back into it within a couple of years..

The new job is going well and is turning out to be quite promising. Hopefully the money I'll be making there will help me get these house projects done sooner and I won't be perpetually working on this place. I've had to put off some major repairs due to financial situations and have been Band-aiding things as I go. I can do the work myself and materials aren't getting any cheaper with each passing day.

However, this doesn't mean I'm leaving Hyperscale at all. I've been here since 1998 and I couldn't imagine not dropping in and keeping up on everyone elses builds..

Cheers,
Dave
Rather than totally pack up all your modelling gear, how about just setting it aside and doing a bit here and there when you feel like it. I only get to dabble in this hobby - self employed, three young kids, fly when I can and play tennis, so I'm spread pretty thin. I'm lucky these days if I can fly once a month, which makes having a share in a aeroplane very expensive per flight hour!
I love modelling due to it's creative process and it's a complete escape from those day to day issues we all face.
Glad to hear you'll still be around here in any case! Good luck with all your projects.

Adam

April 5th, 2012, 2:17 am #5

Cheers,
Dave
other peoples work, posting on various websites, doing research on some obscure thing like how much oleo compression is there on the early Martin Baltimore's with half an ordnance load, than actually slapping plastic together....... OMG I think I do that now!

Sometimes, ya just gotta back away and air-out the man-cave.

You will know when the time is right when you will want to dive in again.

Take care and Go Ducks!

Mike

Semper Fidelis

Temecula Valley Model Club
"Haud Sceptrum, Haud Sentio, Haud Forsit

April 5th, 2012, 2:28 am #6

Cheers,
Dave
I've throttled back some too. I have two daughters now (7 months old and 4 years old) and they are starting to take much more of my time now.

In addition, I've got back into R/C car racing again (been doing that on and off since 1989) and I just started working on the Airfix Mossie tonight for the first time in months. It should be done with 3 or so hours of work. When it's done, I intend to clear the bench and focus as much time as I can on racing.

I'll still be hitting Hyperscale everyday though.

April 5th, 2012, 2:50 am #7

Cheers,
Dave
haven't finished anything in a month of sundays, buy stuff alot slower than I used to, have several big Microsoft tests that I NEEED to study for, a list of things that need to get done this summer, but, I still make a nuisance of myself here....

You aint alone, Dave Cantrell!!!!!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 5th, 2012, 2:56 am #8

Cheers,
Dave
There seems to be an increasing number of non-building model enthusiasts on boards like this.

Not building for a host of good reasons but still checking into the forums regularly.

This might explain why we sometimes see a lot of talk about new models but few examples of the models actually being made.

I wonder if this trend is global?

It would be interesting to know how many non-active builders there are on this site at the moment?

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Last edited by DSWilson on April 5th, 2012, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 3:41 am #9

seems to me, my local club has ALWAYS had an abundance of buyers/nonbuilders compared to bonafide buiders.....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

April 5th, 2012, 4:22 am #10

Cheers,
Dave
I bet masking off those canopies are driving you nuts too!