The wrong kit - Part I (incl. Panthers Cup 2012 show report)

The wrong kit - Part I (incl. Panthers Cup 2012 show report)

April 15th, 2012, 8:35 pm #1

Greetings everybody

This story starts almost a month ago

The weekend after I finished the Balliol I went to Prague for a well deserved break to visit the girlfriend - and to look for new kits

"By coincidence" it was the weekend of the first major Czech model show : the Panthers Cup

The event was held in a school in Prosek, a 10 minutes drive into the suburbs of Prague

Unfortunately - as things turned out - I only had 45 minutes to attend this show

So I rushed myself through taking pictures - I'm surprised most turned out well as I didn't have time to play around with a tripod

This Czechoslovakian display with an Avia fighter and a little Praga tank took away the silver award in the 1/72 aircraft diorama category

First place in the same category went to this Red Baron Fokker Dr.I diorama

I will stick to the - roughly estimated - 100 models in the 1/72 scale categories

Valoms Fisher P-75 - maybe not the easiest kit to assemble, but I like Valoms style of rivets and with some work they can add a lot to the finished model

Not a subject you see very much in contests, the old Supermodel Blohm & Voss Bv.138

This is really 1/72 scale - I forgot which kit it was, but this Razorback is spiced up with little delicate rivets, looking very good - especially in a silver finish

We finally have a Doflug 3802 in 1/72 scale - done by RS Models

I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them in shows as it is an attractive design - to my eyes anyway

From MPM the Lockheed Vega DL.1, one of a few civilian subjects

Build from the old KP kit, an Arado 96 (or Avia C.2) in Czechoslovak colours - note the open canopy

An Avia S.199, still in Czechoslovak markings - usually you see them in Israeli markings

Nice work on another old KP kit - the Polikarpov U-2 biplane

A Horten H.VII from the resin Planet Models kit

This Soviet PR Mk.IV Spitfire took away 3th place in the 1/72 scale OOB propeller category - build from the Tamiya kit

This little Geebee R.1 took 2nd place in the same OOB category

I think it was the first time I saw one - and this little model looked great

Taking away 1st place in 1/72 scale OOB propeller category was this magnificent Fokker D.XXI

Another 1/72 scale aircraft category was the detailed category (as opposed to the OOB category) - containing models which had some or much added details

This Hasegawa Macchi Mc.202 took 3th place

First place in this category went to this exquisite Bronco - a joy to see

A Cuban Albatros took away 2nd place in the jets OOB category

A gold medal went to this magnificent MiG-23 from RV Models

I really loved this model - it captures the look of the real thing pretty well

In the category detailed jets - the 2nd place went to this excellent Trumpeter F-105 Tunderchief

This fine looking F-8E Crusader was credited with first place

Third place in the helicopter category went to this VH-3D Sea King “Marine One”

Taking away first place was this Bell UH-1B

I took about 600 pictures in 40 minutes

Then I quickly rushed through the vendor area and stopped in the MPM corner - where I picked up the Pinto which was just released

It had a nice dark blue Navy scheme - lovely !

Unfortunately once back home I learned all these fancy schemes were civilian aircraft (that's probably why it says "Civilian Service" on the box)

I don't mind civilian schemes - but I prefer military subjects in my collection... I simply had bought the wrong kit (the other boxing contained "real" US Navy trainers - all in yellow)

I thought, I just as well might build it then

So I cracked open the plastic

Finely engraved panel lines - typical for MPM empire kits

A lot of parts in the cockpit

The biggest problem is to align the parts as there is no indication at all as how or where the parts need to fit

Another problem was the carpet monster running away with a control column

With some "good judgement" - and some Blue Tac - the cockpit tub was "massaged" into position

The instructions call for a white interior - so did a few reference pictures I found on the internet

My rear seat was too high - obstructing a good canopy fit

Go back a few steps - and reposition the tub somewhat lower

Closing the fuselage after I made sure the canopy would fit this time

The canopy fit was pretty good

The big clear part in the nose was a less good fit

There was only a small gap

Though funnily enough - from this angle things looked good

Sanding and polishing the canopy

A foggy rash near the filler occurred after polishing - on both sides

It's not "on" but rather "in" the plastic (so sanding it off doesn't help)

The fit of the air intakes was pretty good

All the wing parts

The rear horizontal stabilizers had tabs

Which I mostly had to remove to get a decent fit

Looking excellent at the bottom

All wing halves had ejector pin marks in the same location - preventing a good fit - and I had to dremmel them into fine dust

The wing has a small tab, but still it's mostly a butt join

Without much gap problems

Until I saw this...

This was better

But now I had - not a gap - but a small recessed join

At the bottom things looked better

Filler

Sanding - and polishing the canopy again

More sanding and polishing was needed - until I was happy - and could put some primer on it

That was just before Eastern weekend - when I left for Prague again for a whole week - I had hoped to finish this Civilian Service model quickly to have it out of the way... but... I'm still stuck with it

Despite this, I have enjoyed the kit so far - fit is in general good (except the underside of the windshield) though lack of location aid to glue parts is sometimes a problem - but I guess it's the nature of these kits, and it's only my 2nd Special Hobby kit

I applaud every new subject in plastic that wasn't done before - even in Civilian Service colours... so maybe I can put it in the back of the shelf in it's dark Navy blue colour and pretend it's a baby Banshee

I will conclude my ravings with a picture of my favourite model from the model show, a T-38 Talon, build from the PM Models kit - really a stunning fine job on such a basic kit - I was really pleasantly surprised

More pictures of this show can be found here : in my dedicated gallery

Thank you all for your interest

Take care

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on April 16th, 2012, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm #2

Thank you for the great pictures-- Really fine work both yours and those you photographed

April 15th, 2012, 10:42 pm #3

Greetings everybody

The weekend after I finished the Balliol I went to Prague for a well deserved break to visit the girlfriend - and to look for new kits

"By coincidence" it was the weekend of the first major Czech model show : the Panthers Cup

The event was held in a school in Prosek, a 10 minutes drive into the suburbs of Prague

Unfortunately - as things turned out - I only had 45 minutes to attend this show

So I rushed myself through taking pictures - I'm surprised most turned out well as I didn't have time to play around with a tripod

This Czechoslovakian display with an Avia fighter and a little Praga tank took away the silver award in the 1/72 aircraft diorama category

I will stick to the - roughly estimated - 100 models in the 1/72 scale categories

Valoms Fisher P-75 - maybe not the easiest kit to assemble, but I like Valoms style of rivets and with some work they can add a lot to the finished model

Not a subject you see very much in contests, the old Supermodel Blohm & Voss Bv.138

This is really 1/72 scale - I forgot which kit it was, but this Razorback is spiced up with little delicate rivets, looking very good - especially in a silver finish

I'm surprised I haven't seen more of them in shows as it is an attractive design - to my eyes anyway

Build from the old KP kit, an Arado 96 (or Avia C.2) in Czechoslovak colours - note the open canopy

An Avia S.199, still in Czechoslovak markings - usually you see them in Israeli markings

This Soviet PR Mk.IV Spitfire took away 3th place in the 1/72 scale OOB propeller category - build from the Tamiya kit

Taking away 1st place in 1/72 scale OOB propeller category was this magnificent Fokker D.XXI

Another 1/72 scale aircraft category was the detailed category (as opposed to the OOB category) - containing models which had some or much added details

In the category detailed jets - the 2nd place went to this excellent Trumpeter F-105 Tunderchief

Then I quickly rushed through the vendor area and stopped in the MPM corner - where I picked up the Pinto which was just released

Unfortunately once back home I learned all these fancy schemes were civilian aircraft (that's probably why it says "Civilian Service" on the box)

I don't mind civilian schemes - but I prefer military subjects in my collection... I simply had bought the wrong kit (the other boxing contained "real" US Navy trainers - all in yellow)

The biggest problem is to align the parts as there is no indication at all as how or where the parts need to fit

With some "good judgement" - and some Blue Tac - the cockpit tub was "massaged" into position

The instructions call for a white interior - so did a few reference pictures I found on the internet

All the wing parts

All wing halves had ejector pin marks in the same location - preventing a good fit - and I had to dremmel them into fine dust

Until I saw this...

This was better

Filler

More sanding and polishing was needed - until I was happy - and could put some primer on it

That was just before Eastern weekend - when I left for Prague again for a whole week - I had hoped to finish this Civilian Service model quickly to have it out of the way... but... I'm still stuck with it

Despite this, I have enjoyed the kit so far - fit is in general good (except the underside of the windshield) though lack of location aid to glue parts is sometimes a problem - but I guess it's the nature of these kits, and it's only my 2nd Special Hobby kit

I applaud every new subject in plastic that wasn't done before - even in Civilian Service colours... so maybe I can put it in the back of the shelf in it's dark Navy blue colour and pretend it's a baby Banshee

I will conclude my ravings with a picture of my favourite model from the model show, a T-38 Talon, build from the PM Models kit - really a stunning fine job on such a basic kit - I was really pleasantly surprised

Take care

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I - Part II - Part III/End

I love the confident work you do on these short-run kits--knives flashing and putty flying!

And thanks for the pictures from Prague--some beautiful stuff there!

Stuart

Mario Holly
Mario Holly

April 15th, 2012, 11:36 pm #4

Greetings everybody

All the wing parts

Until I saw this...

This was better

Filler

Take care

* <i></i> * *

I've always enjoyed your posts and reports in particular and this one is no exception, pictures are really nice!
However, for the historic accuracy sake, would you please refer to
Air Force, and its planes, in former Czechoslovakia (i.e.until 01/01/1993) as "Czechoslovak" and not Czechoslovakian neither Czech?
I (and hopefully some others) would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

April 16th, 2012, 8:29 am #5

... that in English both Czechoslovakian and Czechoslovak can be used, viz. "Czechoslovakian International" (a Badmintion tournament) or the "Czechoslovakian wolfdog". In German, it would just be "Tschechoslowakisch", there is no equivalent for "Czechoslovak".

Cheers,

Jens

Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de

Mario Holly
Mario Holly

April 16th, 2012, 10:45 am #6

that foreigner-you-knows better than native speaker-me.
I also missed comparison between English and German equivalency.
Probably not my day...

April 16th, 2012, 12:07 pm #7

Mario,

I am sure that in native Czech it is indeed "Czechoslovak", I was just referring to English and German use, where indeed different rules apply, like Praha translating into "Prague" and "Prag" or Plzeň into "Pilsen" respectively- and after all, English is the forum language here.

Cheers,

Jens

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de
Last edited by Jens_O_Mehner on April 16th, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 16th, 2012, 7:58 pm #8

Greetings everybody

All the wing parts

Until I saw this...

This was better

Filler

Take care

* <i></i> * *

Nice to see you back, Wiiliam! Another fine job on spiriting us away to the model show in Prague. Really impressive kits on display! Nice work on the little Pinto - some serious fit issues there. Strange about that weird fogging in the canopy - I've never seen that happen before. Thanks for your comments on the Canadian threesome. I'll be filing another update soon. I've jumped into some cool group builds on the Airfix forum - the factory floor is going to get a whole lot busier!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Postwar RCAF Pt. 1; Postwar RCAF Pt. 2

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5; Mad About Migs Pt. 6;
Mad About Migs Pt. 7; Mad About Migs Pt. 8; Mad About Migs Finish

Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

April 16th, 2012, 8:39 pm #9

Thank you for the great pictures-- Really fine work both yours and those you photographed
* <i></i> * *

April 16th, 2012, 8:45 pm #10

I love the confident work you do on these short-run kits--knives flashing and putty flying!

And thanks for the pictures from Prague--some beautiful stuff there!

Stuart
I'm still testing the waters - hence the "quick build" of this Civilian subject - but I hope to do more kits like this in the future, there are some neat subjects in the MPM catalogue

Too bad I didn't have the time to take pictures of all the models in the contest, and/or do some "atmosphere" shots - I only managed to break away from my girlfriends gravity field in the afternoon - I know I have to work on this next time - I don't want to get stuck with another Civilian Service kit again

* <i></i> * *