The Twin Battle, part 3

.

The Twin Battle, part 3

Joined: March 11th, 2010, 2:07 pm

May 29th, 2012, 5:46 pm #1

The Evil Twin is still moving slowly through the dark Sargasso Sea of filling, sanding and scribing, but I feel that the corner has been turned. At least it doesn't feel like The Watford Chainsaw Massacre anymore! This is where we got by sundown today-



The nacelle fronts are still on the wonky side, but I'll sort this out when I get the engines on.



Here's the underneath. I've kept the idea of the bomb cells, but the original drawing shows them inboard of the engines. I moved them outboard of the engines to-

a-leave internal space at the wing roots for the leading edge radiators
b-save me from trying to install them through the join between original kit wing root and Me110 wing!

The starboard wheel well is filed to its final shape. On the real single-engined Battle, one of the reasons the mainwheels protruded from the lower surfaces of the wings was to offer some protection in the event of a wheels-up landing. I figured that there would be something similar here.



I have a Battle Of France scheme in mind. Germane to this, a trawl through the spares box yielded the gun pack from an Airfix Blenhiem, giving my imaginary gunship a forward facing armament of eight .303's and 4 cannons. Ouch!

Next thing is to cut out the slots in the wings for the radiator flaps, landing lights and navigation lights. Inspired by all the re-scribing going on by the chaps in these parts, I went out to Staples today and invested in Dymo tape. I've never really done this before, so it will be swearing and wobbly lines in the next instalment, folks!

More from the shed later,

Pete.

Quote
Like
Share

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 3:06 pm

May 30th, 2012, 1:04 am #2

s
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 24th, 2005, 1:07 pm

May 30th, 2012, 9:14 pm #3

The Evil Twin is still moving slowly through the dark Sargasso Sea of filling, sanding and scribing, but I feel that the corner has been turned. At least it doesn't feel like The Watford Chainsaw Massacre anymore! This is where we got by sundown today-



The nacelle fronts are still on the wonky side, but I'll sort this out when I get the engines on.



Here's the underneath. I've kept the idea of the bomb cells, but the original drawing shows them inboard of the engines. I moved them outboard of the engines to-

a-leave internal space at the wing roots for the leading edge radiators
b-save me from trying to install them through the join between original kit wing root and Me110 wing!

The starboard wheel well is filed to its final shape. On the real single-engined Battle, one of the reasons the mainwheels protruded from the lower surfaces of the wings was to offer some protection in the event of a wheels-up landing. I figured that there would be something similar here.



I have a Battle Of France scheme in mind. Germane to this, a trawl through the spares box yielded the gun pack from an Airfix Blenhiem, giving my imaginary gunship a forward facing armament of eight .303's and 4 cannons. Ouch!

Next thing is to cut out the slots in the wings for the radiator flaps, landing lights and navigation lights. Inspired by all the re-scribing going on by the chaps in these parts, I went out to Staples today and invested in Dymo tape. I've never really done this before, so it will be swearing and wobbly lines in the next instalment, folks!

More from the shed later,

Pete.
Nice work Pete - love the bomb bays in the wings - neat Battle touch

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 13th, 2009, 11:31 pm

May 31st, 2012, 4:55 am #4

The Evil Twin is still moving slowly through the dark Sargasso Sea of filling, sanding and scribing, but I feel that the corner has been turned. At least it doesn't feel like The Watford Chainsaw Massacre anymore! This is where we got by sundown today-



The nacelle fronts are still on the wonky side, but I'll sort this out when I get the engines on.



Here's the underneath. I've kept the idea of the bomb cells, but the original drawing shows them inboard of the engines. I moved them outboard of the engines to-

a-leave internal space at the wing roots for the leading edge radiators
b-save me from trying to install them through the join between original kit wing root and Me110 wing!

The starboard wheel well is filed to its final shape. On the real single-engined Battle, one of the reasons the mainwheels protruded from the lower surfaces of the wings was to offer some protection in the event of a wheels-up landing. I figured that there would be something similar here.



I have a Battle Of France scheme in mind. Germane to this, a trawl through the spares box yielded the gun pack from an Airfix Blenhiem, giving my imaginary gunship a forward facing armament of eight .303's and 4 cannons. Ouch!

Next thing is to cut out the slots in the wings for the radiator flaps, landing lights and navigation lights. Inspired by all the re-scribing going on by the chaps in these parts, I went out to Staples today and invested in Dymo tape. I've never really done this before, so it will be swearing and wobbly lines in the next instalment, folks!

More from the shed later,

Pete.
and I love watching this grow in reality

Thanks

Fred
Quote
Like
Share