The saga continues.......

The saga continues.......

April 5th, 2012, 1:23 am #1

I finally managed to get the back end of the Merlin done. All the linkages (at least those I'm going to add) are finished. The main assembly was painted with Tamiya's semi-gloss black spray decanted and applied with the airbrush. The assembly was then dry-brushed with some Humbrol enamel dark grey to make the details pop out a bit more. The banjo fittings for the fuel lines were cast with Alumilite after making a mould of one of the banjo fittings on a kit part. The banjo fittings were painted Tamiya titanium and the bolt heads securing the banjo fittings were punched out with my new UMM-USA hexagonal punch set using the 0.8 punch. I love this new tool! The different fittings were painted with a variety of metallic colours from the Citadel acrylic paint line. The main fuel line with banjo fiiting will be added to the fuel pump once the engine has been installed in to it's mount. One thing's for sure, I love my magnifying lamp!

Cheers,
Wolf

April 5th, 2012, 2:41 am #2

Amazing as usual Wolf! Keep raising the bar for the rest of us mear mortals, Chuck.

April 5th, 2012, 2:43 am #3

I finally managed to get the back end of the Merlin done. All the linkages (at least those I'm going to add) are finished. The main assembly was painted with Tamiya's semi-gloss black spray decanted and applied with the airbrush. The assembly was then dry-brushed with some Humbrol enamel dark grey to make the details pop out a bit more. The banjo fittings for the fuel lines were cast with Alumilite after making a mould of one of the banjo fittings on a kit part. The banjo fittings were painted Tamiya titanium and the bolt heads securing the banjo fittings were punched out with my new UMM-USA hexagonal punch set using the 0.8 punch. I love this new tool! The different fittings were painted with a variety of metallic colours from the Citadel acrylic paint line. The main fuel line with banjo fiiting will be added to the fuel pump once the engine has been installed in to it's mount. One thing's for sure, I love my magnifying lamp!

Cheers,
Wolf

This is extreme scale "realism" at it's finest! Wolf - you da man! The US Navy have coined the term - "exactitude" for their requirements for naval aviation and I think that word suits well here too for your degree of skill.

You must have awesome references or perhaps your own Merlin to look at!

Great work and great inspiration for all of us.

April 5th, 2012, 4:45 am #4

Cheers,
Wolf

Hey Wolf you know you are supposed to be building the Tamiya kit and not take some pictures of the real thing in a museum right? Nice try buddy

Seriously though it looks great. I still am not sure what you mean by banjo fittings but I am guessing it is somewhere on there.

Can't wait to see more.

Cheers
Chris

April 5th, 2012, 5:03 am #5

......when I refer to banjo fittings. Essentially they're called that because of their shape.

Cheers,
Wolf

April 5th, 2012, 5:06 am #6

This is extreme scale "realism" at it's finest! Wolf - you da man! The US Navy have coined the term - "exactitude" for their requirements for naval aviation and I think that word suits well here too for your degree of skill.

You must have awesome references or perhaps your own Merlin to look at!

Great work and great inspiration for all of us.
I wish I HAD a real Merlin to look at. Then some of this stuff would have been much easier to figure out. Even now some of it's my best guess. I have collected a lot of reference material too. Maybe too much otherwise I'd never have gone this far, LOL!!!!

Cheers,
Wolf

April 5th, 2012, 5:11 am #7

Amazing as usual Wolf! Keep raising the bar for the rest of us mear mortals, Chuck.
Believe you me Chuck, I am fully entrenched in mere mortaltude! The fun part is raising my own bar. I've learned a lot from stretching on this build and that's what I like most about this hobby of ours.

Cheers,
Wolf

April 5th, 2012, 5:22 am #8

Cheers,
Wolf

wrong
Last edited by Trebuh on April 5th, 2012, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 5:25 am #9

Cheers,
Wolf

Looks like 1:1 scale!

April 5th, 2012, 5:26 am #10

Cheers,
Wolf

good reverence for my project!!