"The Pacific" Finally!

"The Pacific" Finally!

February 15th, 2012, 4:27 pm #1

Well, after reading all the hubbub and all here, I finally got to see the whole series... and I gotta say, I really, really enjoyed it, and liked it.

I have to admit, if I hadn't heard all the things about it here first, I too may have not liked it as much. Let me explain this...
I realized what Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were doing. It wasn't meant to be the same movie as 'Band of Brothers', and if you have the DVD Set, the last disc, has interviews, some very moving interiews with some of the actual Marines/people portrayed in the movie, as well as Hanks and Spielberg.

I also applaud thier 'limited' use of CGI... Relying more on true movie sets, and real props. (Though they could have shown some better views of the aircraft flying air support )

If asked, I'd have to say this movie/series was equal to, and just as good as Band of Brothers... It was fantastic!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

February 15th, 2012, 5:09 pm #2

then read `with the old breed` (one of the books the series was based upon) and thought it was very close to the book. when i`ve finished my current book (the ravens by chris robbins) i`m going to read `helmet for my pillow`.

February 15th, 2012, 5:22 pm #3

n/t

February 15th, 2012, 5:29 pm #4

Well, after reading all the hubbub and all here, I finally got to see the whole series... and I gotta say, I really, really enjoyed it, and liked it.

I have to admit, if I hadn't heard all the things about it here first, I too may have not liked it as much. Let me explain this...
I realized what Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg were doing. It wasn't meant to be the same movie as 'Band of Brothers', and if you have the DVD Set, the last disc, has interviews, some very moving interiews with some of the actual Marines/people portrayed in the movie, as well as Hanks and Spielberg.

I also applaud thier 'limited' use of CGI... Relying more on true movie sets, and real props. (Though they could have shown some better views of the aircraft flying air support )

If asked, I'd have to say this movie/series was equal to, and just as good as Band of Brothers... It was fantastic!

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
I also pointed out the Pacific is not BOB at all...since we have HBO I watched the Pacific when it came on as a mini serie and have watched it when it was re-broadcast. Don..side zombie note did you notice Shane from the Walking Dead as Sgt. Rodriguez a Marine buddy of Sgt Bassalone ?(spelling?)

February 15th, 2012, 5:44 pm #5

Semper Fi, Don
It was decent for entertainment purposes, especially compared to a lot of the shows and movies being released as of late. I don't think it was quite as good as Band of Brothers.

Cameron Forester
Aviation Maintenance student

I don't rant; I complain logically
-My mom

February 15th, 2012, 6:26 pm #6

then read `with the old breed` (one of the books the series was based upon) and thought it was very close to the book. when i`ve finished my current book (the ravens by chris robbins) i`m going to read `helmet for my pillow`.
I have a list of three books on my list that I now want to read because of the movie...

Robert Leckie's, Helmet for my Pillow, Eugene Sledge's, With the Old Breed, and Chuck Tatum's, Red Blood, Black Beach...

I've already read MARINE (Cheasty Pullers)! (Required reading for any self respecting Marine)

Semper Fi, Don
Last edited by shogun66 on February 15th, 2012, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 6:35 pm #7

n/t
I just added that one to the list!

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 7:12 pm #8

I also pointed out the Pacific is not BOB at all...since we have HBO I watched the Pacific when it came on as a mini serie and have watched it when it was re-broadcast. Don..side zombie note did you notice Shane from the Walking Dead as Sgt. Rodriguez a Marine buddy of Sgt Bassalone ?(spelling?)
... I saw a few other some what familiar faces from tv in there too....

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 7:13 pm #9

It was decent for entertainment purposes, especially compared to a lot of the shows and movies being released as of late. I don't think it was quite as good as Band of Brothers.

Cameron Forester

-My mom
OK, Cameron... What would you have done to make it better?

Just alright?!?!? Hahahhhahhaaha

Semper Fi, Don
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don

February 15th, 2012, 7:39 pm #10

Cameron Forester

-My mom
Eugene Sledge, a character in the Pacific, who wrote... With the Old Breed and Robert Leckie another character who wrote Helmet for My Pillow.....Tom and Stevie relied heavily on these guys writing to do the The Pacific, both good reads. Mike