The Only Image I Got ... (A story in bad planning)

The Only Image I Got ... (A story in bad planning)

August 2nd, 2009, 10:23 pm #1

I stayed in Panama City, FL, over my vacation. As this was the closest I ever have been to Pensacola, I decided to take a day and make the two and a half hour (one-way) drive to visit the Naval Museum of Flight (or whatever its real name is) in Pensacola. Sounds good so far, right?

The day before the trip to the museum, I had rented jet skis and had taken my driver's license out of my wallet in case it was needed for the rental. It was not, but you can see where this is going.

After two and a half hours on the road, I found out the museum is located on the actual naval station and you can not drive on the base without having your driver's license. My license was all the back in Panama City on the table where I had failed to pick it up before leaving.

The following is the only image I got from the trip to the museum. It is the gate guard F11F sitting next to the parking lot I was forced to turn around in. This is about two minutes from the museum, and I could not get there...

After investing five hours for the round trip, it sort of stings to only come away with this one image. I will have to try again next year. We liked the gulf coast and will definitely have to stay there again.

Note to self -- next time you are leaving on a long drive, make sure your driver's license is with you!

DWA

August 2nd, 2009, 11:26 pm #2

cool stuff!

old digger pilot

August 2nd, 2009, 11:36 pm #3

I stayed in Panama City, FL, over my vacation. As this was the closest I ever have been to Pensacola, I decided to take a day and make the two and a half hour (one-way) drive to visit the Naval Museum of Flight (or whatever its real name is) in Pensacola. Sounds good so far, right?

The day before the trip to the museum, I had rented jet skis and had taken my driver's license out of my wallet in case it was needed for the rental. It was not, but you can see where this is going.

After two and a half hours on the road, I found out the museum is located on the actual naval station and you can not drive on the base without having your driver's license. My license was all the back in Panama City on the table where I had failed to pick it up before leaving.

The following is the only image I got from the trip to the museum. It is the gate guard F11F sitting next to the parking lot I was forced to turn around in. This is about two minutes from the museum, and I could not get there...

After investing five hours for the round trip, it sort of stings to only come away with this one image. I will have to try again next year. We liked the gulf coast and will definitely have to stay there again.

Note to self -- next time you are leaving on a long drive, make sure your driver's license is with you!

DWA
I hate when that happens. I live in the metro New Orleans, LA. area and it takes 3 hours to drive to P-cola. I bring my laptop and down load all I can from my digital camera into the laptop and take more pics. If you take lots of close-up detail photos, it would be a good idea to rent a hotel room nearby and spend a couple of days there. If you ask the right people, you can go in the restoration hangar and get some great pics.

Michael

Model Maker

August 2nd, 2009, 11:40 pm #4

DWA
After 9/11, you could not get on the base unless you had a sponsor. You couldn't even go to the museum. Several months later, I tried again and every vehicle had to undergo a security check with dogs and mirrors under the chassis and open the trunk, etc.

Michael

Model Maker

August 3rd, 2009, 1:32 am #5

DWA
"... you can not drive on the base without having your driver's license"

Could you have parked your car nearby and walked onto the base? (Not that this helps you now).

It occurs to me that we have a very similar situation where I live. There is a museum on the actual air force base (in Canada) near where I live. They have an airpark with planes on poles just outside the gate and I walk there all the time. It's only a few minutes walk away. But I've never been on the base to see their museum.

I wonder what would happen if I wandered up to the gate and tried to get to the museum. Would they make me WALK home and get my driver's license? Would they make me walk home and come back in my car?

Seems silly that people should be REQUIRED to have a car to access a museum. I know several people without driver's licenses. Does that bar them from visiting tax payer funded museums?

Hmmm...just thinkin' out loud.

August 3rd, 2009, 1:42 am #6

... because I was the driver, driving a vehicle onto the base. Don't know about the walking concept. The museum was far enough down the road to make that not practical on a hot Florida summer day.

I think if I had had a passenger in the car with their license on them, I could have swapped seats with them, and they could have driven on base with me.

It seems like a silly rule, but I understand the concept. Heck, if I had gotten stopped by a policeman on the trip, he would have had no sense of humor about the missing driver's license, either.

DWA

August 3rd, 2009, 2:13 am #7

After 9/11, you could not get on the base unless you had a sponsor. You couldn't even go to the museum. Several months later, I tried again and every vehicle had to undergo a security check with dogs and mirrors under the chassis and open the trunk, etc.

Michael

Model Maker
just the driver needed ID. On the other hand, went to Camp Mabry, every one needed ID,and a look in the trunk of vehicle, that was a year or so back.

old digger pilot

August 3rd, 2009, 3:03 am #8

DWA
...to the right wing tip and stablizer? Must of happened during hurricane Ike.

August 3rd, 2009, 7:01 am #9

DWA
and couldn't get past the front gate unless I had either an active or retired military ID. I didn't.

I produced a gaggle of identification to no avail, including a FL DL (and registration), a FL concealed weapons permit, a retired FL Dept. of Corrections ID, my NRA card, my insurance card, my VISA card, my library card, my voter registration card...I even offered to leave my car keys and the room key to the Luxor.
No admittance without aforemention item(s) - sorry.

And here's the only picture that I got as well -

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -
Last edited by craigindaytona on August 3rd, 2009, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2009, 12:12 pm #10

DWA
Hello, I grew up in Warrington FLA. which is a couple of miles from the gate at Nas Pensacola, you need to have a license to get a visitors pass to enter the base. You cannot walk onto the base without risk of arrest and the museum is a LONG walk from said front gate. This base is huge and walking to and fro is just not practical. My father was retired from the Navy and I had full base privilages until I turned 21. We all had window stickers on our vehicles and were just waived through the gate at anytime. Sorry about your experience the Museum is a great place to visit and the base is just cool to drive around and sightsee. Well enough of my ramblings. P.S. My Dad is buried in the veterans cemetery there on base.