The new Tamiya Yamato is about ready for her review.

The new Tamiya Yamato is about ready for her review.

January 29th, 2012, 6:34 pm #1

Some lint clean-up, probably some paint touch-up, a few little things to fix or straighten or ignore. I'm going to be sorry to see her finished. It was a fun build from beginning to end. Not blood free, not pain free, not stress free for sure, but FUN all the same. I'm just glad that all kits aren't this much fun because I'd never get out of the hobby room!

Total parts count is approximately 1639. Depending on the options you pick you use about 1486 of them. I was actually a bit surprised the parts count was that low. I was sure it was closer to 2500. It sure seemed that high at times.

Look for a full review in Fine Scale Magazine about April or so.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.
Last edited by BrunoSchielzeth on January 29th, 2012, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 29th, 2012, 10:36 pm #2

Just a beautiful looking kit.

January 30th, 2012, 7:13 am #3

Some lint clean-up, probably some paint touch-up, a few little things to fix or straighten or ignore. I'm going to be sorry to see her finished. It was a fun build from beginning to end. Not blood free, not pain free, not stress free for sure, but FUN all the same. I'm just glad that all kits aren't this much fun because I'd never get out of the hobby room!

Total parts count is approximately 1639. Depending on the options you pick you use about 1486 of them. I was actually a bit surprised the parts count was that low. I was sure it was closer to 2500. It sure seemed that high at times.

My build isn't nearly complete, but is coming along well. Saw the extra railing stanchions set and it is much more petite than I would have expected. I'm still going with my steel wire option though, and adding a bunch of extra railing details, using modified generic railings.
The really great thing about this kit is, though it has a zillion parts, with the quality of the tooling and thoroughness of the instructions, it is a surprisingly easy, though time-consuming build.

January 30th, 2012, 7:19 am #4

Bruno,
I can tell from the photos that your hands were shaking! You ran a marathon with that kit. Better and faster than I could have done. Right now I'm picking my way through the construction, one small sub-assembly at a time, and not necessarily in order.
I read your earlier summing up comments below and they were most laudatory. Now I want the dirt. What do you think of the stickers? I see you used the linoleum aircraft deck as well as those on the ventilator assemblies. Did you use the gun turret visor stickers? I can't really tell from the photos.
How did the deck finally go together for you? We had discussed some fit problems some other builders experienced. Did they show up on your example? Any other final fit problems? As an aside, so far in my three weeks of construction, I've had no fit problems other than the aforementioned hull/deck fit issues.
Did you use the plastic kit 18" barrels or the after market Tamiya set?
I see you painted the ammo boxes a "tan" color. Did you have some reference showing that color? It was my understanding that these were steel ammo cases welded to the deck. Ready ammo lockers as it were. I was planning on painting them the hull grey color.
More close ups would be appreciated.
Again, congrats for finishing this monster on deadline. I couldn't see doing something like that. It would ruin the experience for me, but "horses for courses..."
Thanks again for sharing,
Steve Jantscher
PS: More close up photos, please.

January 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm #5

I had debated about buying the new kit since I have or have built most of the other medium to large size Yamato kits. But, your build and the kit are so good I decided to buy one this spring/summer.

January 30th, 2012, 3:08 pm #6

Bruno,
I can tell from the photos that your hands were shaking! You ran a marathon with that kit. Better and faster than I could have done. Right now I'm picking my way through the construction, one small sub-assembly at a time, and not necessarily in order.
I read your earlier summing up comments below and they were most laudatory. Now I want the dirt. What do you think of the stickers? I see you used the linoleum aircraft deck as well as those on the ventilator assemblies. Did you use the gun turret visor stickers? I can't really tell from the photos.
How did the deck finally go together for you? We had discussed some fit problems some other builders experienced. Did they show up on your example? Any other final fit problems? As an aside, so far in my three weeks of construction, I've had no fit problems other than the aforementioned hull/deck fit issues.
Did you use the plastic kit 18" barrels or the after market Tamiya set?
I see you painted the ammo boxes a "tan" color. Did you have some reference showing that color? It was my understanding that these were steel ammo cases welded to the deck. Ready ammo lockers as it were. I was planning on painting them the hull grey color.
More close ups would be appreciated.
Again, congrats for finishing this monster on deadline. I couldn't see doing something like that. It would ruin the experience for me, but "horses for courses..."
Thanks again for sharing,
Steve Jantscher
PS: More close up photos, please.
says a lot. I tried them on several directors and guns and gave up. Cutting them out of the sheet one at a time really sucked and you might be able to notice that the linoleum tracks started to bubble a day or so after I put them down. And that is Tamiya's own paints under them. The shutters would have been better represented by a couple of scratches in the molds IMHO. The linoleum could easily have been decals. I didn't like the sticker thing at all.

I had no issues with the deck to hull fit. You just have to have three or four hands to get the bow section to fit the mid-section to fit the stern section by loosening the screws and gently shoving things around to eliminate any gaps on the hull sides and then tighten the screws again. I actually had to hire the wife to man the screwdriver for finally assembly. In the end I didn't have to modify or trim anything to get a gap-free upper deck. There were gaps side to side but they were easily handled with thin glue and finger pressure. I was happy with the fit.

The boxes are wooden crates holding the 25 mm ammo magazines. They had dozens of low carts hauling box after box to the gun crews by a huge bunch of deck hands. From the pictures and descriptions the boxes were loosely stored near the guns for instant use if needed. They would supply some ammo until the deck hands could drag up more from the magazines. For whatever reason the Japanese didn't put Ready Ammo lockers down for the added guns for operation Ten'-ichigo. Probably lack of time and lack of material? The final refitting of the Yamato was pretty much a last minute upgrade to every spare gun they had in Kure.

The Ready Ammo lockers for the original guns were just inside the bulkheads near the guns.

January 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm #7

I had debated about buying the new kit since I have or have built most of the other medium to large size Yamato kits. But, your build and the kit are so good I decided to buy one this spring/summer.
Some have been detailed to the max but a pain to assemble. Some were lacking detail but easy to build. A few have been basically near perfect. This kit is detailed to the max, fits well, and as close to perfect as anything I have touched. Just stock up on thin glue, sharp blades and good nippers because you will be needing them. And keep the magnifier close by. You will need that too.

Hopefully someone will come out with some decals to replace the sticker thing? The massive railing set looks good, but it can't be added after the build and I knew instantly I would never have time to use it and still get the ship done by February 1st. I think I'm going to use it on the older Mogami I have in the display case. At least the Mogami is more open and easier to add the bits to. I'm sure WEM or any of the other makers of PE will be releasing a set of easier to use railings for this kit. Oddly I don't miss the railings that much on the Yamato. It's so cluttered already that you hardly notice. But the WOW factor would sure rise with full railings and at least most of the rigging done.

January 30th, 2012, 8:41 pm #8

I never really was impressed with the yamato, but that is certainly an impressive model!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

January 31st, 2012, 12:47 am #9

that you were able to get this monster built to the deadline, I'd still be opening the shrink wrap and reading the instructions. I think it looks splendid! Best, Pat

January 31st, 2012, 1:50 am #10

Some have been detailed to the max but a pain to assemble. Some were lacking detail but easy to build. A few have been basically near perfect. This kit is detailed to the max, fits well, and as close to perfect as anything I have touched. Just stock up on thin glue, sharp blades and good nippers because you will be needing them. And keep the magnifier close by. You will need that too.

Hopefully someone will come out with some decals to replace the sticker thing? The massive railing set looks good, but it can't be added after the build and I knew instantly I would never have time to use it and still get the ship done by February 1st. I think I'm going to use it on the older Mogami I have in the display case. At least the Mogami is more open and easier to add the bits to. I'm sure WEM or any of the other makers of PE will be releasing a set of easier to use railings for this kit. Oddly I don't miss the railings that much on the Yamato. It's so cluttered already that you hardly notice. But the WOW factor would sure rise with full railings and at least most of the rigging done.

at least some... but your model looks perfectly fine. I just figure I would regret not doing the rails. I need to get some for my big 1/200 Yamato kit... it has rather crude steel wires