The new Tamiya 1:12 Enzo Ferrari has arrived! (pics)

The new Tamiya 1:12 Enzo Ferrari has arrived! (pics)

April 2nd, 2012, 9:30 pm #1

I've been waiting (hoping) Tamiya would do a kit version of this car and it's finally here ...just arrived at my door....

Compared to the 1:24 kit.....

Open box view...

Last edited by Ghostmech on April 3rd, 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 3:16 am #2

I might pop for one... yeah, I know, fat chance
Last edited by seafirexv on April 5th, 2012, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 5th, 2012, 4:25 am #3

I'd rather a 330 P4. nt.

April 7th, 2012, 12:44 am #4

but I wonder if it will ever happen

April 7th, 2012, 7:23 pm #5

...at least not by Tamiya, but if this Enzo sells well, they may adapt their other semi-finished models into kits like thier F50 or Porsche

April 8th, 2012, 3:51 am #6

and unbalanced looking. Just talkin' looks/skin, NOT what's under.

The 80s TR cheese grater was the opposite. Luv'd it at first, now looks too fat (wide) and somehow boring.

April 9th, 2012, 6:15 am #7

I haven't opened any bags yet but from what I can tell, it looks like a very nice kit indeed. It has 653 parts and that apparently doesn't include all the fasteners. The parts count is well past 800 if you count all the screws. There are several die cast parts, stamped metal parts, fasteners, wire, and tubing to pile on besides. There's a complete plumbing scheme for fuel and brakes that you might miss from the pics, hinge-dampers for the doors, and an operational pushrod/bellcrank suspension. The tooling refinement to the plastic parts blows away that Porsche 935 and Renault RE20 I dug out of the pile of doom a while back....

http://www.clubhyper.com/forums/themepicsframe.htm

From what I read, Tamiya had to retool the body for plastic and several other parts to turn it from a semi-finished die cast to a detailed kit.......I got mine for under $300.00 at HLJ but shipping was a bit more than going stateside...but overall it was still cheaper than anyone in the states. The only extra's I think one would need is some CF decals from SMS and maybe some braided lines from Pro Tech.

Bottom line, very impressive kit and far more detail than the 1/24 kit....and that was a jewel in its own right.

Some people don't like the ENZO because it has no racing history. How about the fact that when it was introduced, it was the first Ferrari to be directly taken from their F1 programs.....the F1 influence is obvious...unlike other cars which take some queues and technical bits from them....this thing looks like an F1 car if an F1 car was morphed into a passenger street car.

Another fact is that it's the only car named after the founder himself...in fact it was (at the time) the ultimate supercar and Ferrari felt it fitting enough to name it Enzo. With a storied past like Ferrari has, for them to design the ultimate Ferrari and name it in honor of the man himself, is history in itself. Even though the Enzo is starting to show it's age and will soon be superseded with a new, more powerful supercar, it still ranks as one of the world's most impressive cars ever built.

I suspect, depending on how well this one sells, we may see their other semi-finished models in full kit form in the future. It makes a lot of sense since they are already invested in the drawings & molds. I realize they had to probably redesign some areas and make a few new molds (or at least adjust them) but much of the overall effort is there already, it just needs repackaging.

April 9th, 2012, 3:25 pm #8

and unbalanced looking. Just talkin' looks/skin, NOT what's under.

The 80s TR cheese grater was the opposite. Luv'd it at first, now looks too fat (wide) and somehow boring.
While i am on the fence for the Enzo, I would have preordered the F50 site unseen.
To me that is a gorgeous car. Of course, i am barchetta fan, closed cars not as much.

joe.