The last unofficially known photo of the USS Arizona before December 7th 1941 ...

The last unofficially known photo of the USS Arizona before December 7th 1941 ...

December 7th, 2017, 2:48 pm #1

This is the last "unofficial known" photo of the USS Arizona before she was sunk on Dec 7, 1941. She was leaving Puget Sound WA early 1941 after having upgrades completed.

December 7th, 2017, 3:12 pm #2

Many thought the word was "Terrified" until you notice to time. The time of entry is 0700 hours. The first wave of the attack did not begin until 7:55 a.m. Flying conditions were excellent. Hence the word "terrific". Not terrified....

December 7th, 2017, 3:31 pm #3

This is the last "unofficial known" photo of the USS Arizona before she was sunk on Dec 7, 1941. She was leaving Puget Sound WA early 1941 after having upgrades completed.

Interesting that in both pictures there are no aircraft aboard. Also, since her anchor is not down, but she is clearly stopped, perhaps at one of the mooring quays at Pearl.

Last edited by samodeldad on December 7th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U?

Zu Asche zu Staub

December 7th, 2017, 4:07 pm #4

Thank you for sharing.

Remember Pearl Harbour

December 7th, 2017, 5:13 pm #5

Interesting that in both pictures there are no aircraft aboard. Also, since her anchor is not down, but she is clearly stopped, perhaps at one of the mooring quays at Pearl.

I'm not a kit builder. I'm a styrene butcher.

December 7th, 2017, 5:28 pm #6

Many features of the ship in this photo confirm this to be incorrect. Her search lights are still on her funnel - they were moved to the aft tripod. Her superstructure is still unmodified to have the Mk 19 director that was mounted on the top level.

Last two I know of were in October or November of 1941. One has her in the background of a photo of DryDock 2 as it neared completion, and the other is an aerial shot of Pearl Harbor with her at Battleship Row. The later at least is in David Doyle's excellent USS Arizona book, but I'm away from my copies of both that and the drydock photo.
Tracy White
Researcher At Large

December 7th, 2017, 5:34 pm #7

Looks like a hint of a snow-capped mountain in the distance above turret 4. I can't think of any other west coast port that has a feature like that. Since I live in Seattle I'm going to guess that this would have been summer of 1940 or so looking west towards the Olympic mountains, but I don't have my copy of Paul Stillwell's Arizona book handy to confirm if she was anywhere near in that time frame. The stack is raised (Mark's photo shows her before the stack was had height added) and the searchlights are on the aft tripod but she doesn't have the King Board modifications that she received between December 1940 and January 1941, so it's certainly before 1941.
Tracy White
Researcher At Large

December 7th, 2017, 5:39 pm #8

Many features of the ship in this photo confirm this to be incorrect. Her search lights are still on her funnel - they were moved to the aft tripod. Her superstructure is still unmodified to have the Mk 19 director that was mounted on the top level.

Last two I know of were in October or November of 1941. One has her in the background of a photo of DryDock 2 as it neared completion, and the other is an aerial shot of Pearl Harbor with her at Battleship Row. The later at least is in David Doyle's excellent USS Arizona book, but I'm away from my copies of both that and the drydock photo.
that has her in the background of a photo of DryDock 2 as it neared completion if this is the photo you are referring to. "unofficial" was clearly stated on the photo in the album I own. This is why I sometimes post photos that have questionable descriptions. I'm quite aware that there are those of you who perhaps have more reliable source material.

Here's a couple more fascinating photo of Puget Sound Navy Yard in 1940.

Last edited by MarkAllenM on December 7th, 2017, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2017, 6:41 pm #9

The Ward is credited with sinking a Japanese submarine shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Looks like Vulcan Inc found it, as I believe the same folks also found the USS Indianapolis recently as well. This is Paul Allen's outfit.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017 ... -vstan.cnn

December 7th, 2017, 6:50 pm #10

Given the activity, perhaps it is Pearl.
Last edited by samodeldad on December 7th, 2017, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U?

Zu Asche zu Staub