The joys of moving..not really

The joys of moving..not really

February 4th, 2012, 10:40 pm #1

My wife and I finally found the piece of property she/we have been looking for. Unobstructed views of the mountains (Pikes Peak) quiet, established neighborhood, Culdesac, just under an acre in size, no HOA and slightly smaller in size than what we currently own. The last piece is fine as we are now empty nesters, but want to have room for the kids to stay when they visit with the grand kids. We close at the end of this month which is considerably quicker than we were planning on so we needed to start packing like yesterday. I started packing up my models two days ago. Oh My God what did I get myself into? Some 50 18x18x24 boxes from Lowes, plus another 20-25 we already had on hand and I have "almost" all my unbuilt kits packed. Reality has definitely set in. I need to cull the herd. I never really had an appreciation for just how much "stuff" I have related to this hobby. My back is killing me as are my feet and I'm no where near done down here in man land. Still have tools, paint and other assorted goodies to deal with...not to mention 5 display cases. Glad I got friends with trucks who are also afflicted with the styrene bug so I can pay for their services in plastic...and beer. So...for the time being, my man land is shut down, but will reopen next month....gotta love moving...well, maybe not. lol
On the plus side of this.....it'll be like Christmas on the other end.
"Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

February 4th, 2012, 10:56 pm #2

then you were the sgt. in the air cav stetson picture run last year or year before? you were in your greens...hope you love your new place
Last edited by p38m on February 4th, 2012, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2012, 10:56 pm #3

My wife and I finally found the piece of property she/we have been looking for. Unobstructed views of the mountains (Pikes Peak) quiet, established neighborhood, Culdesac, just under an acre in size, no HOA and slightly smaller in size than what we currently own. The last piece is fine as we are now empty nesters, but want to have room for the kids to stay when they visit with the grand kids. We close at the end of this month which is considerably quicker than we were planning on so we needed to start packing like yesterday. I started packing up my models two days ago. Oh My God what did I get myself into? Some 50 18x18x24 boxes from Lowes, plus another 20-25 we already had on hand and I have "almost" all my unbuilt kits packed. Reality has definitely set in. I need to cull the herd. I never really had an appreciation for just how much "stuff" I have related to this hobby. My back is killing me as are my feet and I'm no where near done down here in man land. Still have tools, paint and other assorted goodies to deal with...not to mention 5 display cases. Glad I got friends with trucks who are also afflicted with the styrene bug so I can pay for their services in plastic...and beer. So...for the time being, my man land is shut down, but will reopen next month....gotta love moving...well, maybe not. lol
"Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.
those Plastic Totes with the lids. Keeps kits safe and dry. I usually get the 25-30 gallon sized ones. You can get between 10 and 20 kits (depending on size, obviously) in each one. They stack nicely too.

I have about 30'em total.

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by dgcantrell on February 4th, 2012, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2012, 1:05 am #4

I'm driving towards Colorado as I type!!

Those totes are a very good suggestion. Buy the almost clear ones if you do. This has saved me hours looking for stuff.

California Steve

February 5th, 2012, 1:09 am #5

those Plastic Totes with the lids. Keeps kits safe and dry. I usually get the 25-30 gallon sized ones. You can get between 10 and 20 kits (depending on size, obviously) in each one. They stack nicely too.

Cheers,
Dave

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

February 5th, 2012, 1:10 am #6

Cheers,
Dave
I thought there wasn't a basement at the Alamo.

Great tip on the plastic bins,

Steve

February 5th, 2012, 2:39 am #7

"Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.
when I moved last it was just 2 miles, but I must have taken 20 trips just transporting built kits.

had them spread out all over the truck. madness - only way it worked was that we were able to
move in gradually before closing over 2 weeks..

when we move again, I seriously doubt the fragile built kits will go with me...

Craig

February 5th, 2012, 4:11 am #8

I'm driving towards Colorado as I type!!

Those totes are a very good suggestion. Buy the almost clear ones if you do. This has saved me hours looking for stuff.

California Steve
Heck, for free beer, I might even give you a few kits

February 5th, 2012, 4:20 am #9

"Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.
...after moving back across the country last May.
I signed the lease for the new house back in December, on the understanding I wouldn't move in until mid-January....Christmas/New Year being a busy time and all..
The day I picked up the keys was the day I discovered the local council had commenced works to upgrade the stormwater drainage. The road in front of my driveway had been dug out, so I couldn't get a truck in (a friend of mine helped organise that). Postponed moving my furniture over for a week until I could talk to the foreman and get access to my driveway again. Got it filled in for one day (Jan 21), then they dug it all up again. From Jan 22nd until Jan 30th, I had to park my car about 50 metres down around the corner instead of under my carport. Moving heavy boxes from there to my back door (up a very steep, very long driveway) is not fun. Less so during the summer months.
Meanwhile, back at the old place, the next door neighbour decided that my driveway there made a good public car park, and effectively blocked access to the back gate and my garage. Nobody answered when I knocked on the door to ask them to move their car, and a note I'd left under their wiper remained untouched for a couple of days. Only after a call to the police did the car move. Luckily, there's room for 2 cars side-by-side in front of the old place, so I was able to get some stuff moved while he was there.
On Jan 30, I flew to Perth for a week for a contract job...got back on Friday night.
Ordinarily, I'll allow about 2 weeks to move, doing it myself. This time, for whatever reason, I allowed one month. Still have a 10 days to go, still have some stuff to bring over, and have to clean up the old place.
I guess one good thing is I don't have any completed models at the moment - life has well and truly gotten in the way of any modelling for quite some time.

February 5th, 2012, 5:46 am #10

"Q"

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.
You could live in a seemingly barren apartment/house/whatever, but as soon as it comes time to move, everything starts growing and multiplying. One of the laws of nature...