The interesting Valentine treasure - Part I

The interesting Valentine treasure - Part I

February 26th, 2012, 12:33 am #1

Greetings everybody

Last week on Valentine's Day I was allowed to visit two model shops in Prague - and this was one of the treasures I was allowed to buy

I allowed my girlfriend to visit two pet shops and to buy two fishes for her aquarium

Fishes are a lot more difficult to carry around on a shopping trip through Prague then kits

I had hoped to score the all new Special Hobby Goblin in Canadian camo colours - but that one was not yet available, so I settled for a brand new release of a RAF trainer in silver... somehow the more attractive coloured RN trainer didn't interest me that much

My girlfriend liked this trainer, it was "interesting" - she likes bright colours - and my new Sword Mitsubishi J2M3 Jack was ugly

I said I would build this "interesting plane" soon

Sigh

So here we go

The kit sure looked good in the box for only 380 CZK (about $20.50)

A nice big sheet of decals (incl. a small correction sheet), some resin parts and a PE set

... plenty of opportunities for me to mess things up

4 marking options are provided

Sadly the type ploughed through the air in not many colour variations, mostly consisting of silver, with some yellow and one with a little bit of blue

I was surprised by the size of the Balliol

Detail looks good in the wheel bays

But also the small parts look good

The kit has very fine soft panel lines

But I don't like the separate prop blades

If my hair falls out fiddling with them - I still have the old Pegasus kit with a one piece prop

Everything is butt joined - locations were marked on the cockpit floor

I managed to break one of the control columns of it's "foot"

The plastic pedal parts were ugly - and the PE parts were erm... "difficult to use"

These are the worst parts of the kit, so I replaced both with own creations

I used Maskol to secure the pedal belts / foot holders / straps (?)

Because I ran out of my favourite super glue gel

Of course this happens on Saturday evening when all shops have just closed until Monday morning !

After rumbling through things in my hobby room for hours - I found another super glue - unopened

My world was saved

I could continue with assembling the interior

I also spend many hours googling for interior information... but I didn't find much else then it looked very dark - so I settled for a very dark green

The seats seemed to be some light brownish colour

PE belts were way overscale

So we cut them down, using the PE buckles, but using Tamiya tape for the belts

I found pictures of a 1/24 scratch build Balliol - with blue seatbelts

I figured, whoever scratch builds a 1/24 scale Balliol most likely has researched his colours

Fun with the instrument panel

Note there are not many dials in the instrument film... giving it not much benefit to use it

I used Clearfix to glue the instrument film to the plastic part

And again to glue the painted PE on this

A wash later - things looked even more dark - which was fine

The instrument panel and the rear bulk head rib (?) had to be butt joined again, while guessing the location

The loaded cockpit floor followed soon

Then fuselage and wings were all joined

The fit was sometimes not perfect - but with a little fiddling and playing with glue - the fit could be made perfect everywhere

Two weeks ago I hadn't thought I would ever build a Balliol... and now I'm building one

And I have to confess I like it - I'm pretty pleased with my interior - I'm not sure about the colours, but it looks neat, I think my girlfriend will... find it interesting

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - A-Model - Yak-1 : Part I - Part II /End

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on February 26th, 2012, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 26th, 2012, 11:48 am #2

Great article as usual William - you really put something of yourself into them and add some personality.

Nice to see the variety in this forum too - not just Spitfires, Mustangs and Me-109s. I bought an MPM Ryan Fireball on evil-Bay tonight, so that might turn up here shortly.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tutorials: Plasticene wheel wells Cheap vacform machine Example vac-form
RAAF Kingfisher: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Final
Bronco NOGS: Part 1 Jan 2009 Part 2 Dec 2010(!) Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Final
Frog Vengeance: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Final

February 26th, 2012, 9:53 pm #3

Greetings everybody

Last week on Valentine's Day I was allowed to visit two model shops in Prague - and this was one of the treasures I was allowed to buy

I allowed my girlfriend to visit two pet shops and to buy two fishes for her aquarium

Fishes are a lot more difficult to carry around on a shopping trip through Prague then kits

I had hoped to score the all new Special Hobby Goblin in Canadian camo colours - but that one was not yet available, so I settled for a brand new release of a RAF trainer in silver... somehow the more attractive coloured RN trainer didn't interest me that much

My girlfriend liked this trainer, it was "interesting" - she likes bright colours - and my new Sword Mitsubishi J2M3 Jack was ugly

Sigh

So here we go

A nice big sheet of decals (incl. a small correction sheet), some resin parts and a PE set

Sadly the type ploughed through the air in not many colour variations, mostly consisting of silver, with some yellow and one with a little bit of blue

If my hair falls out fiddling with them - I still have the old Pegasus kit with a one piece prop

The plastic pedal parts were ugly - and the PE parts were erm... "difficult to use"

Of course this happens on Saturday evening when all shops have just closed until Monday morning !

After rumbling through things in my hobby room for hours - I found another super glue - unopened

My world was saved

I also spend many hours googling for interior information... but I didn't find much else then it looked very dark - so I settled for a very dark green

I figured, whoever scratch builds a 1/24 scale Balliol most likely has researched his colours

Note there are not many dials in the instrument film... giving it not much benefit to use it

The instrument panel and the rear bulk head rib (?) had to be butt joined again, while guessing the location

The fit was sometimes not perfect - but with a little fiddling and playing with glue - the fit could be made perfect everywhere

Two weeks ago I hadn't thought I would ever build a Balliol... and now I'm building one

And I have to confess I like it - I'm pretty pleased with my interior - I'm not sure about the colours, but it looks neat, I think my girlfriend will... find it interesting

* <i></i> * *

I must confess at looking at this kit recently when I mucking around with an old defiant as a possible whiffer.

She certainly is a large single engine job,

Love what you have done so far and cannot wait to see the next stage

Fred

February 26th, 2012, 11:29 pm #4

Greetings everybody

Sigh

So here we go

My world was saved

* <i></i> * *

As in "I allowed my girlfriend to visit two pet shops" Ha...ha...

(I too visited a hobby shop while visiting the girlfriend last weekend. It was in Seattle and I got the Airfix Pearl Harbor Dogfight double. Just to make it more fun I also visited a Zero restoration. Alas, there was no allowing, as she was working. I did however drag her to a model show that Sunday.)

Like the build and I look forward to seeing more. I'm intrigued by all your uses of Maskol. I'll have to track some down someday.

Jim
http://ascalecanadian.blogspot.com/

February 28th, 2012, 11:11 pm #5

Great article as usual William - you really put something of yourself into them and add some personality.

Nice to see the variety in this forum too - not just Spitfires, Mustangs and Me-109s. I bought an MPM Ryan Fireball on evil-Bay tonight, so that might turn up here shortly.

Cheers,

Andrew

Many years ago I considered building the Pegasus kit... but I abandonned that idea - the MPM kit sounds like a much more healthy project

I'm surprised this kit spend some days at the top of the Hannants website sales chart, I didn't think it was "that" popular - and despite my taste for unusual subjects I would never have build one if it wasn't for my curiosity for building a Special Hobby kit, I never have build one of their kits and I thought a new one would be a good introduction - and so far I like it - I might try one of their older kits now

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories : Yak-1 added, Febr 25

1/72 - Special Hobby - Bolton Paul Balliol T.2 : Part I

February 28th, 2012, 11:15 pm #6

I must confess at looking at this kit recently when I mucking around with an old defiant as a possible whiffer.

She certainly is a large single engine job,

Love what you have done so far and cannot wait to see the next stage

Fred
It's definitely something different - trainers are often overlooked, and I have been thinking of doing some more, the Matchbox Provost, and Airfix Chipmunk... all in the same colours... it would be a nice line to park opposite of my Spitfires

And it is indeed big, I think it's nearly twice the size of a Chipmunk... I'm gonna have to be creative to park it on the crowded shelves

* <i></i> * *

February 28th, 2012, 11:24 pm #7

As in "I allowed my girlfriend to visit two pet shops" Ha...ha...

(I too visited a hobby shop while visiting the girlfriend last weekend. It was in Seattle and I got the Airfix Pearl Harbor Dogfight double. Just to make it more fun I also visited a Zero restoration. Alas, there was no allowing, as she was working. I did however drag her to a model show that Sunday.)

Like the build and I look forward to seeing more. I'm intrigued by all your uses of Maskol. I'll have to track some down someday.

Jim
http://ascalecanadian.blogspot.com/
It's just a running gag between the two of us, already for several years now, don't exactly remember anymore how it started...

Way cool to visit and see a Zero restoration up close and personal - I would LOVE to have that in my neighborhood, since beginning this year I haven taken a deep interest in the type, I just started reading Samurai, about Saburo Sakai and I think I will build another Airfix Zero soon, great kit, though this time will I try to fill & sand the deep panel lines

Maskol is very practical stuff... highly recommended - though I wouldn't use it to glue the main components of a model But little PE things (always difficult to glue) in the interior "out of much handling possibilities" it will work nice

* <i></i> * *

February 29th, 2012, 10:23 pm #8

Cheers,

Andrew

i have the kit and want to find out how it goes together.

d-bot

February 29th, 2012, 10:25 pm #9

Greetings everybody

Sigh

So here we go

My world was saved

* <i></i> * *

Now, just install the wing tip and landing light lenses, hose the thing down with a coat of primer and see what it looks like!

Cheers,

david

February 29th, 2012, 10:40 pm #10

Which does not fit that "perfect" - the only part that required a certain amount of filler - but more in the next post about this...

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories