Car guys care too ...

April 16th, 2018, 10:36 pm #11

It's basically going to be business-as- usual for Revell Germany

http://www.nw.de/lokal/kreis_herford/bu ... evell.html

The Revell GmbH in Bünde is still a company of the Hobbico Group. In the course of the proceedings last week, a "sustainable solution for a change of ownership" emerged, as stated in a statement from the company: New sole shareholder of Revell GmbH becomes a company of the international investment group Quantum Capital Partners (QCP) in Munich "This does not affect the operating business in any way," it also explains.

The purchase also includes significant assets for the North American business, including name rights and the large-scale molding bank, which is important to plastic modeling. Revell is thus experiencing a strengthening as a result of the change of ownership, because it is associated with an expansion of the sales market and an even greater variety in the offer. The current management, headed by Stefan Krings, will in future manage the worldwide business, including North America, from Bünde.

"Revell is pleased to have a strong partner at its side, Quantum Capital Partners, which will help the company grow internationally. I would like to thank all trading and business partners for the confidence during the transition period in recent weeks, "commented Stefan Krings.
..http://www.scaleautomag.com/articles/20 ... -been-sold

I told'ya this would happen.
You wouldn't listen !!

Last edited by Mike Maben on April 16th, 2018, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I just like airplanes

I only buy at real shops but...

April 16th, 2018, 10:44 pm #12

Now if we can just get Hornby's finances sorted, Airfix's future will be assured as well.
I see very little Airfix actually for sale anywhere. Did see the 1/48 P-40B once, was gonna get it the next week and it was gone. From what I hear they limit their output? If so that's pretty effing dumb of them.

I'm sure there are sophisticated bean-counting reasons for doing something like that but to tool up a new kit just to hold back on producing it? Don't have to be a business tycoon to see how stupid that is.

I can't buy it if I can't find it.

I wanna give them my money!

I should probably ask the hobby shop man if he can still order me an Airfix P-51D before they shelve those molds indefinitely too.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

And I understand production runs...

April 16th, 2018, 10:54 pm #13

I know they can't mold everything always but gheez make a few hundred cartons while you're set up for it then trickle them out over the next few years until you set up for it again in a new boxing.

John

Re: Revell USA was bankrupt along with Hobbico and its sister companies

April 16th, 2018, 11:54 pm #14

Once the decision was made to sell off the assets, closing the doors was inevitable. The question was always about what the buyer of the assets intended to do with them. In the case of Tower Hobbies and Great Planes, the buyer, Horizon, has kept the business going and essentially rehired about half of the total workforce in Champaign. Estes rockets is essentially going to continue as it was under a new corporate identity; the old Estes shell is gone in the bankruptcy.

Once the sale of the Revell USA assets was agreed to, the company could not, legally, keep paying the employees because the proceeds of the asset sale are required to go towards the company's creditors and a company with no assets has no jobs.

Revell Gmbh was not part of the bankruptcy but was itself a debtor (to the tune of $41 million) to Hobbico). The purchaser of Revell Gmbh paid $1 for that $41M loan. They could end up writing that off, but there are usually tax liabilities associated with loan forgiveness. It remains to be seen what the continuing management of Revell Gmbh decides to do with all the molds that have just been purchased from Revell USA. My guess is that much of it will have limited appeal in Europe and therefore it will make sense to have a USA-specific product line. My guess is that a new US-based company will be formed as a subsidiary of Revell Gmbh to manage product distribution and also to help select new kit subjects for the US market.
I'm not going to hold my breath for any US based subsidiary beyond distribution. Flip side is that Quantum Capital will 'cut the fat', whether that means 1/25 autos or old molds - who knows.
https://www.quantum-capital-partners.co ... ategy.html
I think that QCP will eventually sell Revell, that is their business model - turn around ailing companies and make a profit on the sale thereof.

It is encouraging that it is their business to revive what they think are viable, yet underperforming businesses.

I believe they will do their best to eliminate parallel distribution channels in all the countries and try to make a global distribution model - that is where the efficiency is.

The fact that they are based in Germany lends credence and encouragement. If it were an American corporation, it would be a vulture operation, selling molds for scrap and liquifying the company.
Last edited by keithwwalker on April 16th, 2018, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They are retaining Kriegs for now it seems

April 17th, 2018, 12:02 am #15

...how many times have we read glowing words like that about a company's "bright new future" and two weeks later they're tearing down the buildings because the new owners strip anything of worth? A possible buyer of our ranch was obviously going to do that and we told him "Sorry, no deal.", so I'm sensitive to that.

On the plus side, though, I'm optimistic because they put out good products, have a veritable treasury of classic molds, and IIRC, I've seen Stefan Krings interviwed by Brett at model shows and he's very enthusiastic and committed.
http://www.childhood-business.de/2018/0 ... r-spielen/

Airfix is abundant in Australia

April 17th, 2018, 1:13 am #16

I see very little Airfix actually for sale anywhere. Did see the 1/48 P-40B once, was gonna get it the next week and it was gone. From what I hear they limit their output? If so that's pretty effing dumb of them.

I'm sure there are sophisticated bean-counting reasons for doing something like that but to tool up a new kit just to hold back on producing it? Don't have to be a business tycoon to see how stupid that is.

I should probably ask the hobby shop man if he can still order me an Airfix P-51D before they shelve those molds indefinitely too.

John
It's interesting if Airfix kits are hard to find in American hobby shops because they are abundant at hobby shops throughout Australia.

No idea why this is so but maybe- just guessing- it's a legacy of the old Commonwealth links when Aussie and NZ kids grew up on Airfix kits so Airfix have a long sales history with us.

Again just a guess but maybe Hornby focuses its marketing on "traditional" sales markets and America may not give them the market penetration they want?

Or to turn the argument around- do your hobby shops try to order in Airfix kits at all? There is no logical reason why the kits are not easily available in America, so either Hornby is not supplying the market or US hobby importers are ignoring the product.

Either way international mail order is your friend. Hobby shops without borders !

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Sometimes there is a delay getting the first release of a new kit in the US of A

April 17th, 2018, 1:32 am #17

But they seem plentiful. My LHS got at least 7 Phantom FG.1s and several B-25s last week. and sold Enough that the proprietor has already ordered more.
Clifford Bossie

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Desrt_Wings.html

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/jinxx1/Wildcat/F4F_pt1.html

Just looked on Airfix site...

April 17th, 2018, 3:33 am #18

It's interesting if Airfix kits are hard to find in American hobby shops because they are abundant at hobby shops throughout Australia.

No idea why this is so but maybe- just guessing- it's a legacy of the old Commonwealth links when Aussie and NZ kids grew up on Airfix kits so Airfix have a long sales history with us.

Again just a guess but maybe Hornby focuses its marketing on "traditional" sales markets and America may not give them the market penetration they want?

Or to turn the argument around- do your hobby shops try to order in Airfix kits at all? There is no logical reason why the kits are not easily available in America, so either Hornby is not supplying the market or US hobby importers are ignoring the product.

Either way international mail order is your friend. Hobby shops without borders !

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Seems the first boxing of the P-40B is still available direct from Airfix. Cool!

I think I'll ask the LHS to get me one and a P-51D.

Thanks Fellas.

John

Vultures?

April 17th, 2018, 8:22 am #19

I'm not going to hold my breath for any US based subsidiary beyond distribution. Flip side is that Quantum Capital will 'cut the fat', whether that means 1/25 autos or old molds - who knows.
https://www.quantum-capital-partners.co ... ategy.html
I think that QCP will eventually sell Revell, that is their business model - turn around ailing companies and make a profit on the sale thereof.

It is encouraging that it is their business to revive what they think are viable, yet underperforming businesses.

I believe they will do their best to eliminate parallel distribution channels in all the countries and try to make a global distribution model - that is where the efficiency is.

The fact that they are based in Germany lends credence and encouragement. If it were an American corporation, it would be a vulture operation, selling molds for scrap and liquifying the company.
Right, there's not a single private equity turnaround company in the US.All vultures.

Where do you get such nonsense?

Real shops?

April 17th, 2018, 8:25 am #20

John
Airfix kits are easily available on the Internet, from all sorts of suppliers. The vast majority of sales of kits are internet=based now (hence so many hobby shops closing), so why not do as most others do? Expecting Airfix to met your needs when you are a declining market is sensible, not stupid.