The Four Connies

The Four Connies

December 9th, 2009, 9:23 pm #1

Inspired and spurred on by William De Coster's "Little Wurgers" production line on the Airfix GB, I figured I'd tackle all four 1/144 scale Constellations I recently acquired at the same time:

The Revell kit is in white and is so well-moulded it could be built in a weekend. The others, Minicraft kits, need a lot more work. I'm taking my time with the Revell kit, using it as a reference on the Minicraft birds:

The Minicraft Connies are moulded as the long nose version, but provide alternate parts for the short-nose version. On two of the Minicraft kits I used the short snub-nose, with a piece of sheet styrene sandwiched in to replace the plastic lost to the saw:

The Revell kit comes with both nose versions as options. The short nose is conveniently offered in clear plastic, which makes painting around the nose lights a lot easier. I used the Revel long-nose piece on one of the Minicraft kits because it looked more accurate:

I picked up a photoetch sheet by Extra Tech for the Revell Connie. The parts are easy to fold and pop right into place:

The Minicraft fuselages have taken a heck of a lot of sanding to get the shape right and fill in the over-recessed door outlines, but are almost done. I'll drill some holes and add some clear stretched-sprue for the nose landing lights and move on to the wings.
Best...Ted...

December 9th, 2009, 9:38 pm #2

...12 days of Christmas...yah know the song...oh well I thought it was funny. And yes they look great. The Connie is one of the better looking A/C around.

Jeff

December 9th, 2009, 9:53 pm #3

I think it goes: "Four Connie Birds, Three French Huns, Two Thunder-Jets. And a Percival In a Pear Tree..." Or something like hat!
Best (still laughing) Ted...

December 9th, 2009, 11:42 pm #4

Inspired and spurred on by William De Coster's "Little Wurgers" production line on the Airfix GB, I figured I'd tackle all four 1/144 scale Constellations I recently acquired at the same time:

The Revell kit is in white and is so well-moulded it could be built in a weekend. The others, Minicraft kits, need a lot more work. I'm taking my time with the Revell kit, using it as a reference on the Minicraft birds:

The Minicraft Connies are moulded as the long nose version, but provide alternate parts for the short-nose version. On two of the Minicraft kits I used the short snub-nose, with a piece of sheet styrene sandwiched in to replace the plastic lost to the saw:

The Revell kit comes with both nose versions as options. The short nose is conveniently offered in clear plastic, which makes painting around the nose lights a lot easier. I used the Revel long-nose piece on one of the Minicraft kits because it looked more accurate:

I picked up a photoetch sheet by Extra Tech for the Revell Connie. The parts are easy to fold and pop right into place:

The Minicraft fuselages have taken a heck of a lot of sanding to get the shape right and fill in the over-recessed door outlines, but are almost done. I'll drill some holes and add some clear stretched-sprue for the nose landing lights and move on to the wings.
Best...Ted...
Although I can't imagine why you didn't use the Heller/Airfix in 1/72..LOL,

Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

December 10th, 2009, 12:48 am #5

Yeah, Allan - I haven't missed those beauties. I've been itching to do either the Heller or Airfix kits for sometime now. The little 1/144 scale kits were all on sale for ridiculously low prices, so I snapped 'em up. But 1/72 scale is my true love, so the big Connies will likely appear at some point. After all, that itch has been on a long time and it's time to scratch!!!
Best! Ted!

December 10th, 2009, 1:01 am #6

Best...Ted...
Personally, I've always thought the "Connie" to be one of the most elegantly designed aircraft to come out of post WWII. What liveries will these ones carry?

Cheers,
Wolf

December 10th, 2009, 2:29 am #7

Hi Wolf - The Revell sheet is absolutely stunning. I'll do a Lufthansa version, and one one of the gorgeous TWA long-nose versions from that decal sheet. I'll do an Air France version from a sheet I ordered from - strangely enough - France, and a BOAC decal sheet that appears to be a scheme for an air freighter:

All of them are very colourful schemes that really highlight the great markings shown in the heyday of 1950's airliners!
Best...Ted...

December 10th, 2009, 2:45 am #8

Personally, I've always thought the "Connie" to be one of the most elegantly designed aircraft to come out of post WWII. What liveries will these ones carry?

Cheers,
Wolf
I think than the Lockheed Constellation was the most elegant prop engines airliner of all time. Great job on the builds Ted. I will follow your wips with great interest.

Serge Dompierre
Last edited by Serge Dompierre on December 10th, 2009, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

December 10th, 2009, 3:55 am #9

Cheers,
Wolf
Seeing the ATC Connie at several airshows is always a treat. It's a beautiful airplane.

Cheers
Mike

What, me worry?

December 10th, 2009, 3:56 am #10

Best...Ted...
Coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to the TWA version.

Cheers
Mike

What, me worry?