The CRAP archive is permanently closed, and it ain't coming back, period.

The CRAP archive is permanently closed, and it ain't coming back, period.

January 13th, 2018, 12:54 am #1

Mark decided to simply whack it rather than putting up with constant sniping from people about photo theft and other such bullsh|t, and frankly, I don't blame him. What started out as an effort to help people was ultimately seen as some kind of glory hog exercise, and despite having spent hours upon hours organizing, researching, and cataloging photos in there to make research as simple as possible for visitors and never, not ONCE, did I claim any photos, even the hundreds which I posted myself... nor did I put his name or mine out there because this was never about ego, it was simply to try to make things easier for folks looking for information. I went through hours of research and labeling exercises to keep up with Mark's uploads and credit them as best I could, but with over 50,000 photos and more added almost daily, it's not something I could do full time.

At this point, it's better to just tear it down and walk away. I no longer have the time or patience to repeatedly explain the intent of the archive, nor does Mark. To those who were frequent visitors and expressed their appreciation, thank you... thanks most of all for understanding what it was we were trying to do. And to those who didn't support us or actively complained about the archive, for whatever reason - congratulations. You win. Be sure to collect your prizes at the door.

Lynn

January 13th, 2018, 1:01 am #2

… for their own petty, childish reasons. This is why we can't have nice things.

C.R.A.P. was a valuable resource. Thanks to you and Mark for trying.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

January 13th, 2018, 1:25 am #3

Mark decided to simply whack it rather than putting up with constant sniping from people about photo theft and other such bullsh|t, and frankly, I don't blame him. What started out as an effort to help people was ultimately seen as some kind of glory hog exercise, and despite having spent hours upon hours organizing, researching, and cataloging photos in there to make research as simple as possible for visitors and never, not ONCE, did I claim any photos, even the hundreds which I posted myself... nor did I put his name or mine out there because this was never about ego, it was simply to try to make things easier for folks looking for information. I went through hours of research and labeling exercises to keep up with Mark's uploads and credit them as best I could, but with over 50,000 photos and more added almost daily, it's not something I could do full time.

At this point, it's better to just tear it down and walk away. I no longer have the time or patience to repeatedly explain the intent of the archive, nor does Mark. To those who were frequent visitors and expressed their appreciation, thank you... thanks most of all for understanding what it was we were trying to do. And to those who didn't support us or actively complained about the archive, for whatever reason - congratulations. You win. Be sure to collect your prizes at the door.

Lynn
...thanks for your efforts (really).

At least now you'll have more time for your own life

My feelings can only be hurt by
people who's opinion I care about.

January 13th, 2018, 1:26 am #4

Lynn
Oh well. There were some nice photography there from the 1940s.

January 13th, 2018, 2:02 am #5

spent many an enjoyable hour just browsing or doing research for a anticipated build. Thank you both again.
I will never understand why aviation history/research (an by extension, our hobby) has so much ego-driven, pettiness determined that no one should be able to enjoy a resource even when an honest mistake has been made, or when they do not agree with a point of view.
Our loss indeed.
Last edited by pat9d on January 13th, 2018, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2018, 2:47 am #6

Lynn
so what was CRAP? Guess I didn't know a good thing was happening.
Floyd

January 13th, 2018, 3:21 am #7

A/C specific photos, air groups, Life archive photos, the whole nine yards. A well organized labor of love. Covered all types of A/C. 109s, Spits, P-40s Must have had 500 F6F photos alone.
Last edited by pat9d on January 13th, 2018, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 13th, 2018, 5:10 am #8

Lynn
Just another sad example of how the whiners are taking over.

Some of my photos were (are) in the collection, and I whole heartedly supported their being freely shared with the masses, credited or not. Thank you Mark and Lynn for your efforts to bring this GREAT resource you provided for ALL of us to enjoy.

January 13th, 2018, 5:38 am #9

Lynn
....I was shocked at that bellyacher last week. You guys provided such a great service. Too bad their are so many self-centered people.

January 13th, 2018, 12:10 pm #10

Just another sad example of how the whiners are taking over.

Some of my photos were (are) in the collection, and I whole heartedly supported their being freely shared with the masses, credited or not. Thank you Mark and Lynn for your efforts to bring this GREAT resource you provided for ALL of us to enjoy.
You're a perfect example of someone whose pics were in some of the archive albums, pics which I hadn't gotten to yet but which I would have credited to you... I hadn't gotten to those albums yet. I really appreciate that you understand what we were trying to do here, though.

Cheers,

Lynn