The Big Spit - Wing Work

The Big Spit - Wing Work

January 24th, 2011, 3:49 am #1

Over the last month or so since my last Big Spit update, work has progressed fairly steadily. I've added the tailplanes with no issues at all, replaced the bent sprue control rod on the rudder with a piece of brass wire, and inserted some Grandt Line nuts on the tailwheel:

Our Sergeant-Pilot has settled in nicely into the cockpit:

Okay, on to the wings. The machine guns access covers topside on the port wing needed shims of .10 thou plastic sheet to fill in some gaps (The starboard side covers fit like a glove with a little sanding):

More .10 thou plastic sheet was laid down as a foundation for the wheel well details:

The .10 thou sheeting again, for boxing in the wheel wells:

The reinforcing strips inside the wheel well are thin strips of .10 thou, embossed down the middle with a ball point pen:

Test fitting the retractable landing gear mechanism gave me the first sense of trouble - would the tire sit flush in there?

Aw Jeez...this is not looking good - that landing gear with the tire attached won't fit flush, no way, no how.

With the landing gear cover attached, the fit is even worse - this is as far as it'll go!

This means my "Flying Spitfire" is going to have to be displayed with wheels down, or with the landing gear partially retracted as if in 'takeoff' mode:

Blast bugger and damnation! In Polish! I really had my heart set on having that clean wheels-full-up flying look, with the gear-down option as well. Now it'll have to be one or the other. Okay, decision time. Ponder...ponder...ponder. Yep - wheels up it's gonna be! I tossed the landing gear parts into the unused pile of kit parts, and scrounged around the spare parts box until I found what I was looking for. A set of old Revell 1/32 scale Corsair tires are a perfect match for the 1/24 scale Spitfire tires (who knew?):

I glued the landing gear cover flush with the lower wing and test-fitted the Corsair tire. Looks perfect:

I scratched some new oleo legs from pieces of 1/8" plastic rod - just the bits that would be visible:

I also scratched some new tire hubs and after spraying the inside wings interior green added the oleo legs (Humbrol 11 silver) and the Corsair tires:

Okay, I think we're good on the landing gear. Too bad about that wheel well detail not being seen. Oh well - another lesson RE-learned: test-fit ahead of time!! Next step is to glue on the plastic plug that the aircraft stand will latch into. You want a nice, solid bond here:

Carumba! Test-fitting the fuselage reveals another fit issue! The plug interferes with the cockpit bulkhead holding the pilot seat. Out with the Dremel tool and a cutting disc, and the offending part of the plug is hacked away with extreme prejudice!:

The Airfix Spit prop parts fit very well with only a little sanding work. I carefully measured, marked, and drilled the tiny screw holes around the rim of the prop cover, then poked around 'em with a Prisma Silver pencil:

After the wings were glued together, I filled in the gun ports with sections of 1/8" plastic rod. This really needs to be done - the ports are way too large otherwise, whether you install the Brownings inside or not (which I also left off):

Sanding and shaping the gun ports makes them look much more realistic. Some file work to open up the holes a little will follow:

A coat of primer on the fuselage shows no issues save one - the engine cowling I hacked apart needs a little more putty work to fix a hairline crack:

All in all, the Big Spit is starting to look like it's finally coming together.

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

January 24th, 2011, 4:59 am #2

Hi Ted

Great update - it really is starting to look like a Spit in a BIG way. I love the small touches like the bolt head, the total effect is awesome.

I am sure you have picked it up already (I only mention this because I first noticed it when doing my current Spit build) - there is a curved cut out in the wheel well where it joins the enclosure for the oleo leg.

There is a great walkaround of BL614 VB on Aeroscale which shows this http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=16259, particularly in this shot:

Obviously it is early days for your build yet, but I have noticed people tend to miss this.

What has just messed with my mind, is that in this series on ARC, the reinforcing strips on the wheel well roof (?) are different between port & starboard - anyone know if this is the case with all/some Spits?

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/A ... alk084.htm

Hmmm

Christopher

Current WIP
Spitfire Ib: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

Hangar Queens
Hawker Fury: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

Past Builds
Brewster Buffalo: Part I, Part II, Part III , Part IV , Part V, Part VI, Complete
Spitfire XVIe (I love to drink a beer with William ): Complete
Fairey Battle (Massimo's revenge): Complete
DH Vampire: Complete
DH Chipmunk: Complete
AVRO Anson: Complete
HPM Hobbies - Home of High Planes Models

http://www.hpmhobbies.com
https://www.facebook.com/HPMHobbies/

January 24th, 2011, 7:27 am #3

Over the last month or so since my last Big Spit update, work has progressed fairly steadily. I've added the tailplanes with no issues at all, replaced the bent sprue control rod on the rudder with a piece of brass wire, and inserted some Grandt Line nuts on the tailwheel:

Okay, on to the wings. The machine guns access covers topside on the port wing needed shims of .10 thou plastic sheet to fill in some gaps (The starboard side covers fit like a glove with a little sanding):

More .10 thou plastic sheet was laid down as a foundation for the wheel well details:

The reinforcing strips inside the wheel well are thin strips of .10 thou, embossed down the middle with a ball point pen:

Test fitting the retractable landing gear mechanism gave me the first sense of trouble - would the tire sit flush in there?

Aw Jeez...this is not looking good - that landing gear with the tire attached won't fit flush, no way, no how.

With the landing gear cover attached, the fit is even worse - this is as far as it'll go!

This means my "Flying Spitfire" is going to have to be displayed with wheels down, or with the landing gear partially retracted as if in 'takeoff' mode:

Blast bugger and damnation! In Polish! I really had my heart set on having that clean wheels-full-up flying look, with the gear-down option as well. Now it'll have to be one or the other. Okay, decision time. Ponder...ponder...ponder. Yep - wheels up it's gonna be! I tossed the landing gear parts into the unused pile of kit parts, and scrounged around the spare parts box until I found what I was looking for. A set of old Revell 1/32 scale Corsair tires are a perfect match for the 1/24 scale Spitfire tires (who knew?):

I glued the landing gear cover flush with the lower wing and test-fitted the Corsair tire. Looks perfect:

I scratched some new oleo legs from pieces of 1/8" plastic rod - just the bits that would be visible:

I also scratched some new tire hubs and after spraying the inside wings interior green added the oleo legs (Humbrol 11 silver) and the Corsair tires:

Okay, I think we're good on the landing gear. Too bad about that wheel well detail not being seen. Oh well - another lesson RE-learned: test-fit ahead of time!! Next step is to glue on the plastic plug that the aircraft stand will latch into. You want a nice, solid bond here:

Carumba! Test-fitting the fuselage reveals another fit issue! The plug interferes with the cockpit bulkhead holding the pilot seat. Out with the Dremel tool and a cutting disc, and the offending part of the plug is hacked away with extreme prejudice!:

The Airfix Spit prop parts fit very well with only a little sanding work. I carefully measured, marked, and drilled the tiny screw holes around the rim of the prop cover, then poked around 'em with a Prisma Silver pencil:

After the wings were glued together, I filled in the gun ports with sections of 1/8" plastic rod. This really needs to be done - the ports are way too large otherwise, whether you install the Brownings inside or not (which I also left off):

Sanding and shaping the gun ports makes them look much more realistic. Some file work to open up the holes a little will follow:

A coat of primer on the fuselage shows no issues save one - the engine cowling I hacked apart needs a little more putty work to fix a hairline crack:

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
It's evidently too late now, but I wonder if shortening the landing gear legs a tad mightn't have been the ticket to having them fit in retracted mode. Dunno if that would have messed up the stance when standing on the wheels though.

Anyway, it's looking fabulous, and I really look forward to seeing the final results.

Stuart

January 24th, 2011, 7:45 am #4

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Your Big Spitty is looking just fantastic. Love the details you are adding to this build !!

Brilliant!

Konrad

January 24th, 2011, 9:25 am #5

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Impressive work on that Ted, I like that gun port detail, n/t

January 24th, 2011, 12:30 pm #6

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Getting closer to that part we all love, PAINT!

Cheers

Andrew

January 24th, 2011, 5:12 pm #7

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Cripes Ted, that is a lot of work and pain-in-the-butt corrections. Certainly looks impressive. Too bad that a closed canopy is going to hide some of that fab cockpit work.

Cheers, Vic
Last edited by Vic Scheuerman on January 24th, 2011, 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 24th, 2011, 5:47 pm #8

Close...so close...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I like your work. And your Polish isn't bad either.

That thing is really coming along and it looks like lots of work. Labor of love, though!

Keep posting.

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

January 24th, 2011, 5:52 pm #9

Hi Ted

Great update - it really is starting to look like a Spit in a BIG way. I love the small touches like the bolt head, the total effect is awesome.

I am sure you have picked it up already (I only mention this because I first noticed it when doing my current Spit build) - there is a curved cut out in the wheel well where it joins the enclosure for the oleo leg.

There is a great walkaround of BL614 VB on Aeroscale which shows this http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=16259, particularly in this shot:

Obviously it is early days for your build yet, but I have noticed people tend to miss this.

What has just messed with my mind, is that in this series on ARC, the reinforcing strips on the wheel well roof (?) are different between port & starboard - anyone know if this is the case with all/some Spits?

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/A ... alk084.htm

Hmmm

Christopher

Current WIP
Spitfire Ib: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

Hangar Queens
Hawker Fury: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV

Past Builds
Brewster Buffalo: Part I, Part II, Part III , Part IV , Part V, Part VI, Complete
Spitfire XVIe (I love to drink a beer with William ): Complete
Fairey Battle (Massimo's revenge): Complete
DH Vampire: Complete
DH Chipmunk: Complete
AVRO Anson: Complete
I did actually notice the rounded piece that goes in the wheel well. I had the piece amde and was test-fitting it when I decided to test fit the oleo leg as well. That's when I discovered the landing gear wouldn't sit flush inside the wing. Once I decided to go for the 'gear-up' look, it didn't make sense to keep adding detail into the wheel well that wouldn't be seen. As for you Spit VB photo, I certainly can't explain it - I've never seen one like that!
best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

January 24th, 2011, 5:58 pm #10

It's evidently too late now, but I wonder if shortening the landing gear legs a tad mightn't have been the ticket to having them fit in retracted mode. Dunno if that would have messed up the stance when standing on the wheels though.

Anyway, it's looking fabulous, and I really look forward to seeing the final results.

Stuart
Yep, tried that too - I hacked up one of the original kit landing gear legs but good trying to get it and the tire to retract and still sit flush inside the wing, but it was a total no-go. I'd be interested to see if anyone else who has built this kit in flying mode on the stand was able to get the gear to retract all the way!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig