The Big Spit - Starboard Cockpit

The Big Spit - Starboard Cockpit

October 12th, 2010, 2:36 am #1

At the end of our last episode, detailing of the Spitfire starboard cockpit wall had begun. Scraps of rod and sprue were cut, sanded and trimmed to replicate the various and sundry wiring, piping and other bits seen in reference photos - most of which I must confess I have no idea what in heck they actually are:

Other instruments were scratch-built and later painted separately:

The Waldron placards and that undercarriage lever assembly sure look cool when installed:

And when the dashboard assembly is added, the whole thing is really starting to come together and look like an actual 'busy' cockpit:

Okay, now on to the 'port' fuselage, then the pilot figure, and closing up this baby!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

October 12th, 2010, 4:41 am #2

Wonderful stuff!!! One question though, what about the Merlin? Can't remember whether you said that you weren't including it or not. Either way, it looks excellent so far, just like the real thing.

Cheers

Andrew

October 12th, 2010, 6:30 am #3

At the end of our last episode, detailing of the Spitfire starboard cockpit wall had begun. Scraps of rod and sprue were cut, sanded and trimmed to replicate the various and sundry wiring, piping and other bits seen in reference photos - most of which I must confess I have no idea what in heck they actually are:

The Waldron placards and that undercarriage lever assembly sure look cool when installed:

And when the dashboard assembly is added, the whole thing is really starting to come together and look like an actual 'busy' cockpit:

Okay, now on to the 'port' fuselage, then the pilot figure, and closing up this baby!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Ted that looks like you are having too much fun, very impressive work.

Cheers

Jim

October 12th, 2010, 9:21 am #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Hi Ted,

excellent work you have carried out there! Light years ahead from what the kit provides.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Cheers,

Jorge.

October 12th, 2010, 9:42 am #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I think the Unknown button is the Oxygen cock,if It's the black control on the Starboard cockpit side below.

Cheers, Pete

PS You've probably said and I've missed it,but what colour are You using for the interior?
Last edited by MORTY333 on October 12th, 2010, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 12th, 2010, 11:46 am #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Impressive work!!!

October 12th, 2010, 1:57 pm #7

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Looking top-drawer Ted! You are certainly doing justice to the old gal.

Cheers, Vic

October 12th, 2010, 4:36 pm #8

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Again, it all looks real. That is real modeling going on there. Fantastic detail. My worry about 1/24th is that you basically need to make working parts to pull it off. Yours look fantastic.

Keep it up!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

October 12th, 2010, 5:28 pm #9

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
...you're doing a 1/1 replica, and don't try to fool me.
Massimo LaCivita

October 12th, 2010, 5:52 pm #10

Wonderful stuff!!! One question though, what about the Merlin? Can't remember whether you said that you weren't including it or not. Either way, it looks excellent so far, just like the real thing.

Cheers

Andrew
I won't be using it actually, Andrew. I'll be installing the motor inside the engine compartment, but not inside the Merlin engine itself. At first I thought I would build it as a separate side display, but now I've changed my mind on that too - I've got too many other builds to get to! I've got all the Merlin parts bagged, along with the engine bearers, etc. If anyone wants a 1/24 scale Merlin engine, just let me know!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig