The Big Spit - Pilot Training

The Big Spit - Pilot Training

December 13th, 2010, 5:17 am #1

"Pilot Training." Yeah, that would be me. I've painted plenty of 1/72 scale pilot figures, but 1/24 scale is a first for me. Last episode ended with our boy getting a coat of Testor's tan on his face:

Now, after painting boots, helmet and parachute straps, he's looking more like 'The Mummy':

Ah, that's better. More pilot-like now (In case you noticed, our boy's thumb is green because a piece of it came away with the masking tape. Some Squadron putty put things right again.):

Since our Spit is to be a flying model, our boy needs full flying gear. This is the look I'm reaching for:

I tried smash-molding our boy's face into some hot plastic to make a face mask, but ended up with something looking like an ancient death mask. So I popped a styrene rod into his mouth with a slice of sprue runner on the end as a start on a face mask:

I then painted some masking tape with Tamiya buff and tried stretching it around the mask. That didn't work - I couldn't get the shape right:

I decided to stretch-form a mask over a piece of balsa wood sanded into a face mask shape. Here's the result:

Yeah, yeah, - okay, knock it off youse guys. I can hear you laughing from here. I KNOW what this looks like. Sheesh. That's why they call it a COCK-pit. After trimming and sanding the condom...Er, mask...it looks like a good fit:

I used Tamiya buff again for the face mask and popped our boy into the cockpit to see how everything looked:

Hmmm. The mask looks funny - almost like a snout. Aw Jeez - okay, check out this shot. Our boy looks like the dog Gromit from the Wallace and Gromit animation series. Doh!

Blast! That won't do. Off with the mask, more trimming and sanding, and I shortened the rod in our boy's mouth to boot. A different colour of paint on the mask, and things are looking good again:

On to the Sutton harness. I cut strips of lead foil from a wine bottle and poked holes in 'em with a needle:

Then I slathered on some Humbrol Khaki and when that dried, I dipped a toothpick into some Humbrol no.11 silver and poked it into the holes to replicate the metal 'buttons' on the Sutton harness:

I got started on the radio lead by twisting three strands of armature wire together:

The pin which secured the Sutton harness straps together is another piece of aramature wire wrapped around a piece of stretched sprue:

Okay, the forward Sutton harness is installed, with the pin in place:

Now the radio lead is attached to the helmet. One strand connects to the front of the face mask, the other two connect to the helmet headphones. By the way, the oxygen hose is a piece of tungsten I scored from a (very) large light bulb, and dipped into a bottle of black paint:

In all the reference material I looked for on where the radio plugged into the cockpit, the only one I found was a Spitfire pilot manual which said "the R/T connection was to the right of the pilot seat." That was it - a brief line of text and no photos - all I could find. So I ran the radio wire to the right of the seat:

Now our boy is looking pretty good inside the cockpit:

The last step here is to add the rear bits of the Sutton harness, which runs back through the cockpit bulkhead. I also handed our boy his joystick:

Whew! Pilot training is over! Now we graduate to closing up the cockpit. This build should move a lot faster now!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

December 13th, 2010, 5:34 am #2

Good job Ted, n/t

December 13th, 2010, 6:15 am #3

"Pilot Training." Yeah, that would be me. I've painted plenty of 1/72 scale pilot figures, but 1/24 scale is a first for me. Last episode ended with our boy getting a coat of Testor's tan on his face:

Now, after painting boots, helmet and parachute straps, he's looking more like 'The Mummy':

Ah, that's better. More pilot-like now (In case you noticed, our boy's thumb is green because a piece of it came away with the masking tape. Some Squadron putty put things right again.):

Since our Spit is to be a flying model, our boy needs full flying gear. This is the look I'm reaching for:

I tried smash-molding our boy's face into some hot plastic to make a face mask, but ended up with something looking like an ancient death mask. So I popped a styrene rod into his mouth with a slice of sprue runner on the end as a start on a face mask:

I then painted some masking tape with Tamiya buff and tried stretching it around the mask. That didn't work - I couldn't get the shape right:

I decided to stretch-form a mask over a piece of balsa wood sanded into a face mask shape. Here's the result:

Yeah, yeah, - okay, knock it off youse guys. I can hear you laughing from here. I KNOW what this looks like. Sheesh. That's why they call it a COCK-pit. After trimming and sanding the condom...Er, mask...it looks like a good fit:

I used Tamiya buff again for the face mask and popped our boy into the cockpit to see how everything looked:

Hmmm. The mask looks funny - almost like a snout. Aw Jeez - okay, check out this shot. Our boy looks like the dog Gromit from the Wallace and Gromit animation series. Doh!

Blast! That won't do. Off with the mask, more trimming and sanding, and I shortened the rod in our boy's mouth to boot. A different colour of paint on the mask, and things are looking good again:

On to the Sutton harness. I cut strips of lead foil from a wine bottle and poked holes in 'em with a needle:

Then I slathered on some Humbrol Khaki and when that dried, I dipped a toothpick into some Humbrol no.11 silver and poked it into the holes to replicate the metal 'buttons' on the Sutton harness:

I got started on the radio lead by twisting three strands of armature wire together:

The pin which secured the Sutton harness straps together is another piece of aramature wire wrapped around a piece of stretched sprue:

Now the radio lead is attached to the helmet. One strand connects to the front of the face mask, the other two connect to the helmet headphones. By the way, the oxygen hose is a piece of tungsten I scored from a (very) large light bulb, and dipped into a bottle of black paint:

In all the reference material I looked for on where the radio plugged into the cockpit, the only one I found was a Spitfire pilot manual which said "the R/T connection was to the right of the pilot seat." That was it - a brief line of text and no photos - all I could find. So I ran the radio wire to the right of the seat:

The last step here is to add the rear bits of the Sutton harness, which runs back through the cockpit bulkhead. I also handed our boy his joystick:

Whew! Pilot training is over! Now we graduate to closing up the cockpit. This build should move a lot faster now!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
and I hate to bring it up at this late point but since you only just posted the pictures...

The mask is looking generally good but the whole thing is sticking out too far from his face and that round disc (whatever it is) on the very front of it isn't prominent enough on your figure. It's close and probably passable as is, just don't show the picture of the pilot next to the model

Jeff
IPMS something or other

December 13th, 2010, 12:51 pm #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Excellent work!!!

December 13th, 2010, 1:38 pm #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Figures are my bugaboo; yours looks great, especially the face. (Of course you then go and cover the face with the mask, but we still know it's a good face!) I admire your spirit of experimentation and perseverance on the mask--I think the final version looks quite good. And the harness is super!

If I might offer a small suggestion (which you may already intend to do), hit that man's shirt with some dull coat. At least in the pictures his sleeves look too glossy for convincing cloth.

Stuart

December 13th, 2010, 3:42 pm #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Fantastic work Ted and you have the skin color about right(at least on my monitor).

When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan

December 13th, 2010, 4:42 pm #7

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
That Pilot is shaping up wonderfully - very creative solution to the oxygen mask too - not sure what the poor lad thought about the rod in his gob though The Sutton harness is shaping up most excellently as well - I forgot the back half on mine and have to retro-fit it, which should be a bit of a hat trick, eh.

Best,

Konrad

December 13th, 2010, 6:33 pm #8

and I hate to bring it up at this late point but since you only just posted the pictures...

The mask is looking generally good but the whole thing is sticking out too far from his face and that round disc (whatever it is) on the very front of it isn't prominent enough on your figure. It's close and probably passable as is, just don't show the picture of the pilot next to the model

Jeff
IPMS something or other
Trust me - I know what you mean about the shape, Jeff - trying to get this thing right has delayed this project for far too long! I tried for the look of the canvas face mask I've seen in early photos, but I just couldn't manage it. Too bad there weren't some aftermarket Spitfire pilot-gear accessories out there. From the net and other reference materials I've seen a lot of different face mask shapes, colours, connections, you name it. As long as it somewhat resembles an oxygen mask, I'm happy with it - I gotta move on with this build!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

December 13th, 2010, 6:37 pm #9

Figures are my bugaboo; yours looks great, especially the face. (Of course you then go and cover the face with the mask, but we still know it's a good face!) I admire your spirit of experimentation and perseverance on the mask--I think the final version looks quite good. And the harness is super!

If I might offer a small suggestion (which you may already intend to do), hit that man's shirt with some dull coat. At least in the pictures his sleeves look too glossy for convincing cloth.

Stuart
The constant manhandling of said pilot figure has produced a sheen of finger oil on the poor fella! I didn't notice it until I saw the photos - another treatment of flat coat is definitely on the to-do list. Thanks, Stuart!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

December 13th, 2010, 6:41 pm #10

Fantastic work Ted and you have the skin color about right(at least on my monitor).

When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan
I definitely have to get myself a new computer monitor for home. Everything appears dark on that machine, so I lighten up the photos. Then I look at the post on a decent monitor, like the one I have at work, and the photos look washed out. Ah well, a matter of priorities, Gerald. Let's see: snowblower or monitor...snowblower or monitor...
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig