The Big Spit Is Operational!

The Big Spit Is Operational!

June 4th, 2011, 9:13 pm #1

Since the last post on this build back around Easter, I made the final push on The Big Spit. First up was correcting that brown overspray on the cowling that JP Foster caught:

Then it was on to the acrylic flat coat. I mixed my Tamiya acrylic flat base about 50/50 with the recommended Tamiya thinner. I ended up not so much with a flat coat but a covering of what can best be described as acrylic flat dust - almost like a light snow. I scrubbed a lot of it off with an old T-shirt and the result looked fairly okay:

I ground up some black pastel chalk and scrubbed in the gunsmoke stains on the lower and upper wings. I don't trust myself to finesse this with an airbrush:

The wingtip lights were painted using a mix of Micro Crystal Clear and the appropriate paint colour:

I reshaped the rearmost kit exhaust pipes by drilling in some lengths of plastic rod:

Last night I soldered the engine wires to the wires coming out of the stand and shoved the whole works into the stand mount. After a liberal application of liquid cement on the mating surfaces, I finally joined the two together. The Spit was quite wobbly and so I shored it up with some paint cans and left it to dry overnight:

When I got up this morning I removed the cans and voila! The Spit stood proud on her stand, solid as a rock. Perfect!

Last step was to add the aerial wire, a simple piece of stretched sprue. Holy crap - she's done! Okay, what are we waiting for? Ground crew standby! Starter cart plugged in! Engine primed, magneto switches on and...Eureka! A flying 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfire!

I snapped one photo with the flash and it stopped the prop in mid-air; weird!

Looking closely at the real thing, there's quite of bit of cockpit detail visible, even though it doesn't show in the photo:

On the shelf, finally! This project began in August 2010 with the Airfix Battle Of Britain Group Build. I'm the last straggler in, but at least I made the airfield:

A project with a lot of firsts for me: first 1/24 scale kit, first motorizing job, first use of Future, first extensive use of acrylics, etc etc. I sincerely thank all of you who have been so generous with your advise, building and painting tips, and more - you know who you are!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Last edited by TeddieP on November 6th, 2014, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 4th, 2011, 10:22 pm #2

very nice indeed

D

June 4th, 2011, 10:25 pm #3

Since the last post on this build back around Easter, I made the final push on The Big Spit. First up was correcting that brown overspray on the cowling that JP Foster caught:

Then it was on to the acrylic flat coat. I mixed my Tamiya acrylic flat base about 50/50 with the recommended Tamiya thinner. I ended up not so much with a flat coat but a covering of what can best be described as acrylic flat dust - almost like a light snow. I scrubbed a lot of it off with an old T-shirt and the result looked fairly okay:

I ground up some black pastel chalk and scrubbed in the gunsmoke stains on the lower and upper wings. I don't trust myself to finesse this with an airbrush:

The wingtip lights were painted using a mix of Micro Crystal Clear and the appropriate paint colour:

I reshaped the rearmost kit exhaust pipes by drilling in some lengths of plastic rod:

Last night I soldered the engine wires to the wires coming out of the stand and shoved the whole works into the stand mount. After a liberal application of liquid cement on the mating surfaces, I finally joined the two together. The Spit was quite wobbly and so I shored it up with some paint cans and left it to dry overnight:

When I got up this morning I removed the cans and voila! The Spit stood proud on her stand, solid as a rock. Perfect!

Last step was to add the aerial wire, a simple piece of stretched sprue. Holy crap - she's done! Okay, what are we waiting for? Ground crew standby! Starter cart plugged in! Engine primed, magneto switches on and...Eureka! A flying 1/24 scale Airfix Spitfire!

Looking closely at the real thing, there's quite of bit of cockpit detail visible, even though it doesn't show in the photo:

On the shelf, finally! This project began in August 2010 with the Airfix Battle Of Britain Group Build. I'm the last straggler in, but at least I made the airfield:

A project with a lot of firsts for me: first 1/24 scale kit, first motorizing job, first use of Future, first extensive use of acrylics, etc etc. I sincerely thank all of you who have been so generous with your advise, building and painting tips, and more - you know who you are!
Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Wait...that isn't right! Darling Daughter is getting married on the 18th so I must have weddings on the mind.

Congratulations!! Well worth the wait. Wonderful job...it looks fantastic.

Thanks so much for taking us through your work in making such a masterpiece.

(I had been checking every few days just waiting for this posting...delighted to see it!)

June 4th, 2011, 11:08 pm #4

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I may have to steal a couple of those pics buddy!!!!!

Cheers

Andrew

June 4th, 2011, 11:22 pm #5

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
She's a real looker Ted, its been a joy to follow your journey on this one. Great fun.

Your Acrylic flat coat, I thought you have to mix the Flat base with clear varnish, eg Klear or similar. You got a nice dusty effect though.

Cheers
Jim

June 4th, 2011, 11:25 pm #6

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Congratulations on finishing the project - from someone who knows a thing or two from long projects as well !

Fabulous work - great camo job, nice subtle weathering and very realistic wing tip lights, and that cockpit interior looks superb from above

Weird stopped prop trick from the flaslight - look at the apparently translucent colour on the blades - weird indeed !

And I still see room for a 109 and a 190 and maybe a Stuka or 2 on the shelves !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

- Group Build Airfix Kits - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII (incl Flanders Modelling Festival 2011 show report) - Part VIII (incl Patherscup 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part IX (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.2) - Part X - Part XI - Part XII /The End
- Plastic Pics Vami Models - Me P. Schwalbe : Part I (incl Pantherscup 2011 show report Pt.1) - Part II (incl Beskyd Model Kit 2011 show report Pt.1)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 4th, 2011, 11:52 pm #7

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Fabulous Ted, it looks so good on the stand and the spinning prop.. just how the 1:24 Spitfire should be.

Well done.. nicely done cammo..

Simon

June 5th, 2011, 12:05 am #8

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
BIG scale, BIG sucess!

Greg in OK

June 5th, 2011, 12:11 am #9

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
That looks fabulous, Ted! Congrats on seeing through a long haul. It really looks like the real thing buzzing over the countryside!

BTW, on the Tamiya Flat Base, I never heard of spraying it with just thinner--sounds like a scary idea to me. I use it with 4-5 parts Future to 1 part Flat Base (more Future for more sheen). A higher proportion of FB can give the dusty look.

Stuart

June 5th, 2011, 12:40 am #10

Best...Ted...

WIP Builds:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Well done and worth every minute of your perseverence - now you must have so much more room for other projects on your desk!!