The Big Spit - Into the Cockpit

The Big Spit - Into the Cockpit

September 3rd, 2010, 7:25 pm #1

The saga that is the 1/24 scale Spitfire continues albeit at a snail's pace. Work in the cockpit began by detaching the dashboard from the bulkhead and prepping it to receive the excellent Waldron British instruments, using a diagram in the Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough "Spitfire" modelling book as a placement guide:

Although I swore this build would be OOB, I soon succumbed to AMS and eventually sanded away all the molded in detail on the panel, reducing it to about half of it's original thickness:

Here's where I am with the dashboard now - almost ready for the Waldron goodies:

The kit compass just doesn't look right, so I cobbled together a base plate by chucking a piece of sheet styrene in a Dremel tool and using sharp scissors, snipped out a brass compass holder from an old frame of leftover photoetch parts:

The Spitfire book has a drawing and some suggestions for dressing up the kit heel boards and rudder bar assembly:

I won't go crazy with the detail here, because our Pilot Officer will block most of the view of the bottom of the pit:

The whole heel board/rudder bar assembly sits too high according to reference photos, but I don't want to start re-engineering the kit. The pilot looks right the way he fits now, so I'm going to leave this and move on:

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

September 3rd, 2010, 8:08 pm #2

Great detailing there mate. Can't wait to see more.

Cheers

Andrew

September 3rd, 2010, 8:26 pm #3

The saga that is the 1/24 scale Spitfire continues albeit at a snail's pace. Work in the cockpit began by detaching the dashboard from the bulkhead and prepping it to receive the excellent Waldron British instruments, using a diagram in the Roy Cross and Gerald Scarborough "Spitfire" modelling book as a placement guide:

Although I swore this build would be OOB, I soon succumbed to AMS and eventually sanded away all the molded in detail on the panel, reducing it to about half of it's original thickness:

Here's where I am with the dashboard now - almost ready for the Waldron goodies:

The kit compass just doesn't look right, so I cobbled together a base plate by chucking a piece of sheet styrene in a Dremel tool and using sharp scissors, snipped out a brass compass holder from an old frame of leftover photoetch parts:

The Spitfire book has a drawing and some suggestions for dressing up the kit heel boards and rudder bar assembly:

I won't go crazy with the detail here, because our Pilot Officer will block most of the view of the bottom of the pit:

The whole heel board/rudder bar assembly sits too high according to reference photos, but I don't want to start re-engineering the kit. The pilot looks right the way he fits now, so I'm going to leave this and move on:

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I love this Ted - I really love this

It's nice to see someone get astray from the OOB path

Certainly in this way - how inspiring - a shame I just closed up the fuselages on my Spits, but I will keep this as reference for my future Spits

Instrument panel and compass look gorgeous !

By the way, did you touch up your pilot picture by giving him black dot eyes ? He just looks so focused and serious !

Great work Ted, I'd been waiting for this, and I will be looking forward to the next snail step (or how do you call one unit of snail progress in english ?)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium

Airfix - 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)

September 3rd, 2010, 8:28 pm #4

Great detailing there mate. Can't wait to see more.

Cheers

Andrew
I was just about to comment on your Test post below when - my computer crashed! You're not alone in THAT world! Nice to see you back - and building. I see you're now adding text to your photos - great stuff.
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

September 3rd, 2010, 8:34 pm #5

I love this Ted - I really love this

It's nice to see someone get astray from the OOB path

Certainly in this way - how inspiring - a shame I just closed up the fuselages on my Spits, but I will keep this as reference for my future Spits

Instrument panel and compass look gorgeous !

By the way, did you touch up your pilot picture by giving him black dot eyes ? He just looks so focused and serious !

Great work Ted, I'd been waiting for this, and I will be looking forward to the next snail step (or how do you call one unit of snail progress in english ?)

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium

Airfix - 1/72 Spitfire Mk.I
Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
Funny how you say you're going to use some of these pics as a reference - I have some of YOUR pics as references! I've said this before: I LOVE your outdoor shots! And your "Spitfire Summer" builds are going beautifully! Yeah, the poor Pilot Officer - he yelled something fierce when I drilled his eyes out! Ouch! As for the snails, well, now that I'm rid of the visiting relatives and the weather looks like it's taking another turn for the worst, I'll likely hunker down and get more done!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

September 3rd, 2010, 8:38 pm #6

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
You have a serious infection of AMS! That is great stuff...

Cheers, Vic
Last edited by Vic Scheuerman on September 3rd, 2010, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 3rd, 2010, 8:43 pm #7

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Dermot

September 3rd, 2010, 8:52 pm #8

You have a serious infection of AMS! That is great stuff...

Cheers, Vic
Thanks Vic - I swore I wasn't going to do this but I just can't help, dang it all! Ah well, but hey - it would be a real shame not to compliment those wonderful instruments with SOMETHING extra. As for the rest of this great Airfix kit...Oh man, I'm twitchin'already!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

September 4th, 2010, 2:13 am #9

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
This is fantastic Ted - beautiful work - love the scratched instrument panel. Your Spitty is just going to be an eye - popper!

Best,

Konrad

September 4th, 2010, 2:52 am #10

A Big Spit - A Big Job!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

When in evil company,try to blend in.-Wild Bill Donovan