The Big Spit - Decals On!

The Big Spit - Decals On!

April 24th, 2011, 4:30 pm #1

Hello again fellow Hyperscalers and a Happy Easter to you all! Progress continues on The Big Spit. Last chapter, the underside received its coating of Tamiya Sky acrylic. While masking the wheels I poked the oleo legs down inside the wings and had to carefully cut out the whole works and reinstall. Doh!

Topside received its camouflage of MM RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green. I tried free-handing the camo scheme to get that feathered look between the colours, but botched it. Ah well - I remasked and resprayed and the hard edges look okay to me:

Before reaching for the Future, I suddenly remembered I had these Hobby Decal dry transfers for the Spitfire stencils. I wasn't sure how they would rub down on a gloss coat of Future, so I laid 'em down on the flat paint. They worked like a charm. Position, rub down, lift carefully, then press some more with an old T-shirt:

The Future worked out great - I've never used it before. I followed the advice you guys gave me. Three coats misted on, then a heavier fourth coat. Perfect. I couldn't get the Airfix decals to stick - no way, no how. I reached for a set of Aviaeology Hurricane decals and by gum the roundels and serials looked a perfect fit. They went on like a dream:

I was careful not to use Micro Sol on the decals. I was warned the Sol would react badly with the Future. I used Micro Set instead (the stuff that smells like vinegar) and the decals snuggled down beautifully. The fuselage codes were a problem. The Aviaeology Hurricane ones were too big. I used the Airfix letters as a guide to cut out a paper mask, laid 'em on a white decal sheet, then sprayed Tamiya Sky Grey (XF-19).

That worked too! Dang - I'm on a roll here! I wanted to personalize this ship somehow, so I robbed some other decals from the spares box:

For the gun port tape I used...uh...tape. Tamiya tape that is. Sprayed some red over the tape, cut out the squares and pressed them down. I hacked out the holes with an X-Acto knife and ended up with a nice, realistic 'blast' look around the gun ports. More Future to seal everything in, and I'll dirty it all up when the oil wash goes on:

Okay, here's where we're at now. Ready for washes and then on to final assembly! Yee Haa!

Kudos, comments, critiques and questions always welcome.
Best! Ted!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

April 24th, 2011, 7:15 pm #2

Home stretch now !!
Great job on the press-type, I often screw it up, is why I do it on decal then apply as a decal.
And the codes looks perfect.
Looks cool....

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on April 24th, 2011, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2011, 7:37 pm #3

Hello again fellow Hyperscalers and a Happy Easter to you all! Progress continues on The Big Spit. Last chapter, the underside received its coating of Tamiya Sky acrylic. While masking the wheels I poked the oleo legs down inside the wings and had to carefully cut out the whole works and reinstall. Doh!

Topside received its camouflage of MM RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green. I tried free-handing the camo scheme to get that feathered look between the colours, but botched it. Ah well - I remasked and resprayed and the hard edges look okay to me:

Before reaching for the Future, I suddenly remembered I had these Hobby Decal dry transfers for the Spitfire stencils. I wasn't sure how they would rub down on a gloss coat of Future, so I laid 'em down on the flat paint. They worked like a charm. Position, rub down, lift carefully, then press some more with an old T-shirt:

The Future worked out great - I've never used it before. I followed the advice you guys gave me. Three coats misted on, then a heavier fourth coat. Perfect. I couldn't get the Airfix decals to stick - no way, no how. I reached for a set of Aviaeology Hurricane decals and by gum the roundels and serials looked a perfect fit. They went on like a dream:

I was careful not to use Micro Sol on the decals. I was warned the Sol would react badly with the Future. I used Micro Set instead (the stuff that smells like vinegar) and the decals snuggled down beautifully. The fuselage codes were a problem. The Aviaeology Hurricane ones were too big. I used the Airfix letters as a guide to cut out a paper mask, laid 'em on a white decal sheet, then sprayed Tamiya Sky Grey (XF-19).

That worked too! Dang - I'm on a roll here! I wanted to personalize this ship somehow, so I robbed some other decals from the spares box:

For the gun port tape I used...uh...tape. Tamiya tape that is. Sprayed some red over the tape, cut out the squares and pressed them down. I hacked out the holes with an X-Acto knife and ended up with a nice, realistic 'blast' look around the gun ports. More Future to seal everything in, and I'll dirty it all up when the oil wash goes on:

Okay, here's where we're at now. Ready for washes and then on to final assembly! Yee Haa!

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great to see your use of dry transfers to such good effect. I have always wondered why these "dry decals" never really caught on. I have some old Letraset dry transfers from the seventies that I still use occasionally (mainly serial numbers and such stuff) and they have survived well. No yellowing clear decal film and easy to work with.

Looking forward to seeing your finished LO-L!

April 24th, 2011, 9:08 pm #4

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
...Looking really sweet and damn neat too,not a thumb print or errant hair in sight.Then there's those dry rub stencils,they look the biz.
And to top it off the bird is called Daisy (my god daughters name!) and its code is Laugh Out Loud.....How cool is that?!
On the home stretch now!

Woz

Last edited by GranpaWoz on April 24th, 2011, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2011, 12:25 am #5

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Hi Ted,

That is a lot of decals... must have taken quite a while to put on, but looks fabulous. Nicely done..

regards

Simon

April 25th, 2011, 12:57 am #6

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I've got to check out dry transfers. Those look sharp! No carrier film or silvering to worry about I suppose.

And BTW the camouflage demarcations are supposed to be hard-edged, so all's well that ends well. (I've read that they used rubber mats at the factory to mask, and that gave a hard edge.)

Stuart

April 25th, 2011, 1:32 am #7

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I love when builds get to the "washes and final details" phase - finishing line in sight!

Love your work on the codes too - impressive

All the best,

Dermot

April 25th, 2011, 3:03 am #8

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
the paint work and markings are really well done.

April 25th, 2011, 4:33 am #9

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
those transfers were amazing... the whole thing is amazing...

April 25th, 2011, 7:50 am #10

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Wow she's looking lovely, I like that tip of painting onto decal film for the codes, that is pure genius.

Great work

Cheers
Jim