The Big Spit Cockpit Almost Done!

The Big Spit Cockpit Almost Done!

November 11th, 2010, 8:45 pm #1

Hey Ho Fellow Airfixers! The first gentle dusting of snow is falling outside, so what better time than to indulge in some quality modelling time! We left off last time with some detail added to the port cockpit wall:

On the cockpit door, the door latch mechanism has been scratched together with bits of wire, stretched sprue rod and plastic card:

The door is glued in place, and the radiator flap handle added:

Port cockpit painted, with the various cockpit controls tacked on:

Now we're moving on to the pilot, and work starts by replacing the headphones on the sides of the helmet. "Hey, somebody get this rod outta my head, will ya!":

Some colour added to our boy. I carved away the molded on face mask that hung to the right side (left side in the photo) of the pilot's helmet. I'm going to add a new face mask that he'll be wearing in flight:

Okay, here's where I need some expert help. I know where the oxygen hose plugs in on the starboard side of the cockpit, where where the heck does the radio lead plug in?:

Once the pilot is done, the tailwheel will have to be installed before the fuselage sides are closed up. I'm not really keen on using the rubber tires that come with the 1/24 scale Spitfire. I found a plastic replacement in the spares box that's pretty close in size:

I chucked the plastic tire in a Dremel tool and ran some sandpaper over it while it was turning to reshape and resize the tire. Then I drilled out the centre. It looks pretty darn close to the rubber original:

The kit rubber tire:

And the plastic replacement:

A bonus pic of the model man cave - my favourite spot in the house!:

A nicely cluttered workbench. The way it should be!:

Here's wishing all of you a safe Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day to my American cousins), and I offer a heartfelt salute to all of you and yours who may be serving in the Armed Forces today and putting themselves in harm's way. May The Creator protect you and guide you home again. To ALL who have served in the past, I offer many, many thanks for your work and your sacrifice.
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 11th, 2010, 9:07 pm #2

Wow!
She's looking Great!

I'll see if I can find out where that plug goes for You,bear with Me!

I presume You are up in the wilds to My north,I'm in Staffordshire,we're getting belted with Rain and gusting winds at the moment,still,as You say,great modelling weather!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Pete

November 11th, 2010, 9:42 pm #3

I'm a wee bit WEST of your location, Pete. Try Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - geographical heart of the North American continent! Hey - no arguements from the rest of you North Am types - Winnipeg IS the centre of the continent - check yer maps! Unusual weather for this time of year actually, Pete - usually we're up to our ankles in snow right now. PS - I'll trade you some snow for some rain anyday!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 11th, 2010, 10:18 pm #4

Hey Ho Fellow Airfixers! The first gentle dusting of snow is falling outside, so what better time than to indulge in some quality modelling time! We left off last time with some detail added to the port cockpit wall:

On the cockpit door, the door latch mechanism has been scratched together with bits of wire, stretched sprue rod and plastic card:

Now we're moving on to the pilot, and work starts by replacing the headphones on the sides of the helmet. "Hey, somebody get this rod outta my head, will ya!":

Some colour added to our boy. I carved away the molded on face mask that hung to the right side (left side in the photo) of the pilot's helmet. I'm going to add a new face mask that he'll be wearing in flight:

Okay, here's where I need some expert help. I know where the oxygen hose plugs in on the starboard side of the cockpit, where where the heck does the radio lead plug in?:

Once the pilot is done, the tailwheel will have to be installed before the fuselage sides are closed up. I'm not really keen on using the rubber tires that come with the 1/24 scale Spitfire. I found a plastic replacement in the spares box that's pretty close in size:

I chucked the plastic tire in a Dremel tool and ran some sandpaper over it while it was turning to reshape and resize the tire. Then I drilled out the centre. It looks pretty darn close to the rubber original:

The kit rubber tire:

Here's wishing all of you a safe Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day to my American cousins), and I offer a heartfelt salute to all of you and yours who may be serving in the Armed Forces today and putting themselves in harm's way. May The Creator protect you and guide you home again. To ALL who have served in the past, I offer many, many thanks for your work and your sacrifice.
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great job so far mate. Looking very realistic in that "pit". Just a couple of questions:

why the plastic in place of the rubber tyres (just curious)

and like I just said to Pete Mortlock, I have a need to speak to you "off-forum". I would love to use some pics of the "big spit" once completed. I have a plan for all these "giant scale" beauties!!!

Great build so far, following along with great interest.

Cheers

Andrew

November 11th, 2010, 10:59 pm #5

I'm a wee bit WEST of your location, Pete. Try Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - geographical heart of the North American continent! Hey - no arguements from the rest of you North Am types - Winnipeg IS the centre of the continent - check yer maps! Unusual weather for this time of year actually, Pete - usually we're up to our ankles in snow right now. PS - I'll trade you some snow for some rain anyday!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
....ankle deep snow for rain.That happend last year and I was snowed in for a fortnight!

I got to say this is turning out to be a joy to watch(and I'm enjoying stealing some of your ideas for later use!).

Woz

November 11th, 2010, 11:45 pm #6

The kit rubber tire:

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Nice detail Ted, n/t

November 12th, 2010, 12:33 am #7

Great job so far mate. Looking very realistic in that "pit". Just a couple of questions:

why the plastic in place of the rubber tyres (just curious)

and like I just said to Pete Mortlock, I have a need to speak to you "off-forum". I would love to use some pics of the "big spit" once completed. I have a plan for all these "giant scale" beauties!!!

Great build so far, following along with great interest.

Cheers

Andrew
I'm on someone else's computer right now, but I'll email you off board tomorrow when I get home. Having a brain storm? You have me intrigued!
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

November 12th, 2010, 2:39 pm #8

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Sorry about that,with You mentioning Your American Cousins I thought You Were Our side of the Pond!

We Don't get much Snow in the Midlands,and We're smack in the Middle of England Geographically (well,Alrewas is,a few miles down the road,it is the site of the National Memorial Arboretum)

Cheers, Pete

November 12th, 2010, 8:57 pm #9

The kit rubber tire:

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great looking Spitty, thanks for the cave shot!!!!

Thanks,
Allan

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

November 13th, 2010, 12:04 am #10

The kit rubber tire:

Best...Ted...

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Right click save, right click save. Wonderful work Ted, this is going to be a masterpiece. I hav'nt forgotten about your kind offer on the Sabre Dog parts, I've still not heard from Airfix so the restoration project is in limbo.

Cheers.

Stu

"How often do you guys go on a bender ?
This isn't a bender, this is night time!"

Air America