The big Emil (part XI)

The big Emil (part XI)

May 26th, 2012, 9:42 pm #1

Hi all,
please find another small update of my Bf 109E 1/24 scale. Paint work was concluded with some oversprays that I had to correct. The dark green RLM 71 was obtained by mixing equal parts of Tamiya XF-62 and XF-49 (again from a post on hyperscale by Brad Main).

The camouflage turned out ok, a bit worse than I hoped. To correct all the oversprays, I lost a bit of the feathered demarcations between colours. The Tamiya matt paints are very nice just after spraying them, but after they are extremely delicate. Anything can spoil their surface, even just looking at them. As soon as I could I protected the paint with a coat of Johnson Pledge parket floor polish. Then I started decaling and below are few shots of the WIP.

The Techmods decals went on quite well, they are very precisely printed and quite thin. However, they do react very little to the setting liquids. I pressed them down with hot water with acceptable results.

I cannot avoid noticing how striking this plane appears with the german markings on! Now the end of this saga is in view but I need to resist rushing to the end!

Thanks for following and greetings from sunny Holland,
Daniele

May 26th, 2012, 10:03 pm #2

Hi Daniele;

Loving this build so far as my chosen scale is 1/24. I have a few of these Airfix 109's in the stash, so it has been great to see your progress so far. Some great work so far and the 109 looks fantastic in her paint and markings...This scheme is my favorite 109 colour scheme. Did you get those etched bits from Ole Etcher Fred? A really good set of details for this kit that enhance it loads.

Can't wait to see the finished item!

Regards;
Steve

May 26th, 2012, 10:08 pm #3

Hi Steve, unfortunately I did not know about those etched parts!
Greetings,
Daniele

May 27th, 2012, 3:56 am #4

Hi all,
please find another small update of my Bf 109E 1/24 scale. Paint work was concluded with some oversprays that I had to correct. The dark green RLM 71 was obtained by mixing equal parts of Tamiya XF-62 and XF-49 (again from a post on hyperscale by Brad Main).

The camouflage turned out ok, a bit worse than I hoped. To correct all the oversprays, I lost a bit of the feathered demarcations between colours. The Tamiya matt paints are very nice just after spraying them, but after they are extremely delicate. Anything can spoil their surface, even just looking at them. As soon as I could I protected the paint with a coat of Johnson Pledge parket floor polish. Then I started decaling and below are few shots of the WIP.

The Techmods decals went on quite well, they are very precisely printed and quite thin. However, they do react very little to the setting liquids. I pressed them down with hot water with acceptable results.

I cannot avoid noticing how striking this plane appears with the german markings on! Now the end of this saga is in view but I need to resist rushing to the end!

Daniele
Oh this is very nice indeed.

May 27th, 2012, 4:15 am #5

Hi all,

Daniele
Lookin' GOOD!

May 27th, 2012, 11:22 am #6

Hi all,

Daniele
That is one sweet looking 109

I just ordered the new 1/72 small scale Me-109 and I think a lot of your posts will come in very usefull while building the new little thing. I hope I can get such a nice camo finish as yours

Enjoy the sunny weekend !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

May 27th, 2012, 12:52 pm #7

Lookin' GOOD!
Thanks for your kind messages, they are appreciated!

May 27th, 2012, 1:06 pm #8

That is one sweet looking 109

I just ordered the new 1/72 small scale Me-109 and I think a lot of your posts will come in very usefull while building the new little thing. I hope I can get such a nice camo finish as yours

Enjoy the sunny weekend !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
William,thanks for following this build. I hope you will enjoy your 109, I am glad if my notes will be useful to you. I got most of my information from the first part of Brett Green's publication about modeling the 109 (it has a photographic report of a real 109 rebuild) and from the two Squadron publications about the subject (In Action and Walk Around). Because I like this airplane (could you have ever guessed that?) and its role in aeronautical engineering history, I have also other publications, but the most useful ones are those I mentioned. Several useful photos of the engine bay can be downloaded from internet. If I can be of any help, just let me know.
I am now outside in my little garden enjoying the sun with a temperature of at least 28 C. Too hot for modelling in the attic!
Greetings from summery Holland,
Daniele

May 27th, 2012, 4:40 pm #9

Hi all,

Daniele
the model looks smart and promising a great result.
Sunny holland and a wet southern italy...it must be the global warming
Cheers
Luigi

May 27th, 2012, 4:57 pm #10

Hi all,

Daniele
...but I'm sure you will dirty it up later

I have fond memories of this kit as I build it many years ago as a Legion Condor E-1. It went missing during one of my many moves, so I have considered getting a new one. Your build is certainly pushing me in that direction!