The Academy Oliver Hazard Perry class FFG in 1/350 on the bench.

The Academy Oliver Hazard Perry class FFG in 1/350 on the bench.

July 29th, 2011, 5:59 pm #1

A very long way to go yet, but this is what you get in the Special Edition kit, #14106. The half finished radar took me about 4 hours of trial and tribulation to get right. My fault, not the kit's.

For anyone with a little spare cash and a liking of the FFG LAMPS III ships, this one is good. Great? Fantastic? Yeah, maybe even better than that. I'm a long way from done but I'm impressed. She's in 1980-1990 fit but all the basics are there and right, at least so far. If there are any real errors I haven't found them yet.

Please ignore the black paint splattered on the bridge. I'll fix that. I never should have tried to touch up the radar. I also have to fix a couple of the railings I managed to bend. And the odd colored whip antenna is stretched sprue. I managed to not only break off the starboard one, but send it to another dimension apparently. I'll find it in my computer CD drive or something!

This kit takes care to build but it's not hard, just demanding. Steady hands and patience mostly. Not a huge parts count but everything given fits and works and looks right. It's hard to complain when you get it all for less than $55.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.
Last edited by BrunoSchielzeth on July 29th, 2011, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Mc
Jim Mc

July 29th, 2011, 8:47 pm #2

I used to see Clifton Sprague and OHP down at the NRF docks in Philly when I went down there in the mid 80's from where I was stationed. They were both a much lighter grey (keep in mind, I am color blind! )

The Perry class was always a weird boat, with their MAIN STREET passageway. NEVER got used to that.

What boat you gonna do?

July 29th, 2011, 10:01 pm #3

Thus the color difference. I'm doing the Reuben James, FFG-57, only because ........... well no reason but just because that's how the box is marked. The kit allows you to do any of the "long hulled" LAMPS III ships but only gives you nine names to use. There is a full number set so all that has to be added is the stern name if you want one of the other ones.

July 29th, 2011, 10:10 pm #4

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. What's a Reuben James? It's a sammich, and call me Jim! We didn't know much of that Left Coast Navy stuff. That would explain the darker color (colour?)

Does the kit come with an SH-60, or a seasprite? I know the airdales like those seasprites, cuz the -60's filled the hanger to the brim.....
Last edited by Obadiah on July 29th, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 29th, 2011, 11:19 pm #5

Both boxings of the kit come with a Seahawk only, which is not a problem for the Ruben James kit, but is wrong for the original short hull FFG-7 boxing.

July 30th, 2011, 11:49 am #6

Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising. What's a Reuben James? It's a sammich, and call me Jim! We didn't know much of that Left Coast Navy stuff. That would explain the darker color (colour?)

Does the kit come with an SH-60, or a seasprite? I know the airdales like those seasprites, cuz the -60's filled the hanger to the brim.....
And yes, they barely fit in the hanger. Even allowing for slight scale differences rolling one out to the deck must have been "interesting". There isn't much room to wiggle.

July 31st, 2011, 3:46 pm #7

A very long way to go yet, but this is what you get in the Special Edition kit, #14106. The half finished radar took me about 4 hours of trial and tribulation to get right. My fault, not the kit's.

For anyone with a little spare cash and a liking of the FFG LAMPS III ships, this one is good. Great? Fantastic? Yeah, maybe even better than that. I'm a long way from done but I'm impressed. She's in 1980-1990 fit but all the basics are there and right, at least so far. If there are any real errors I haven't found them yet.

Please ignore the black paint splattered on the bridge. I'll fix that. I never should have tried to touch up the radar. I also have to fix a couple of the railings I managed to bend. And the odd colored whip antenna is stretched sprue. I managed to not only break off the starboard one, but send it to another dimension apparently. I'll find it in my computer CD drive or something!

This kit takes care to build but it's not hard, just demanding. Steady hands and patience mostly. Not a huge parts count but everything given fits and works and looks right. It's hard to complain when you get it all for less than $55.

August 1st, 2011, 2:52 pm #8

Hi Bruno looking good - Got one planned - can you list aftermarket & mods, if any, you did
Last edited by PolishMikeD on August 1st, 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 1st, 2011, 5:13 pm #9

Actually everything is pretty good for a late 80s fit but I know there are the Bushmaster guns at WEM and resin Phalanx systems. I believe there are .50s out there too. The Bushmasters came and went a lot however. From what I've read and heard the ship was issued the Bushmasters for a single patrol or mission and then they were removed and put back into stock. It seems odd, but I guess that's the way it was?

The kit parts are pretty accurate and detailed. Resin replacements probably wouldn't be any improvement. But adding things that changed along the line or were added later would make the ship more accurate for a different time period. Like any U.S. ship, nothing stayed the same for long.

I know I'll be adding some guns after I get the ship back, I just think she looks better with a pair of Bushmasters on her, either on the upper bridge platforms or down on the upper deck near the main mast. Both positions exist on the kit and it looks strange without something there.

I just finished adding all the rest of the stuff to the main mast this morning. Things are looking properly cluttered and busy now. The railings weren't as intimidating as they looked. Everything takes a bit of skill and steady hands, but it can be done without too much trauma. The main radar is, by far, the most difficult to build. Just take your time and don't rush things and it will work. I built, destroyed, and rebuilt mine about three times. Heck, I glued it to my thumb twice and had to soak the whole thing in Acetone to scrape the skin and excess CA off of the screen. But in the end it worked. The photoetch is pretty solid and doesn't fall apart all that easily, thank goodness.

I'm impressed with the kit. VERY impressed.