The 4 Connies - Paint On!

The 4 Connies - Paint On!

May 14th, 2010, 3:21 pm #1

Hello once again fellow Hyperscalers - I humbly offer thee on this fine morn an update (at last) on the Four Connies project. Before proceeding to the painting stage, I added twin (VHF?) antennas to the undersides of the three Minicraft fuselages, parts which aren't included in the kit:

The painting and masking of all four birds took me more than a month, but the results look good. MM Flat White topside, Humbrol 11 for the natural metal. Here's one of the Minicraft kits:

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Test fitting engine nacelles on what will be the National Airlines version:

Uh oh - here's a problem, Houston. The plan was to do pencil panel lines on the Minicraft fuselages. I kept the pencil as sharp as I could, but the lines look way too heavy, and I ended up with lead smudging on the flat white finish. Blast und Dang! I guess pencil panel lines just aren't appropriate in 1/144 scale. I stopped here and I'll respray the white:

Next step will be my favourite part - decals! Oh - here's a bonus pic for you. I picked up an aviation poster for 50 cents at a garage sale and reframed it for the man-model cave. I like the way the little fella seems to be looking up at the balsa Hurricane hanging from the celing!

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 14th, 2010, 5:45 pm #2

...But 4 at one time?!?!? Good on ya!

No EC-121?

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

May 14th, 2010, 6:31 pm #3

Hello once again fellow Hyperscalers - I humbly offer thee on this fine morn an update (at last) on the Four Connies project. Before proceeding to the painting stage, I added twin (VHF?) antennas to the undersides of the three Minicraft fuselages, parts which aren't included in the kit:

The painting and masking of all four birds took me more than a month, but the results look good. MM Flat White topside, Humbrol 11 for the natural metal. Here's one of the Minicraft kits:

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Uh oh - here's a problem, Houston. The plan was to do pencil panel lines on the Minicraft fuselages. I kept the pencil as sharp as I could, but the lines look way too heavy, and I ended up with lead smudging on the flat white finish. Blast und Dang! I guess pencil panel lines just aren't appropriate in 1/144 scale. I stopped here and I'll respray the white:

Next step will be my favourite part - decals! Oh - here's a bonus pic for you. I picked up an aviation poster for 50 cents at a garage sale and reframed it for the man-model cave. I like the way the little fella seems to be looking up at the balsa Hurricane hanging from the celing!

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:
Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Keep the good work Ted, i can't wait to see your Connies finished!

May 14th, 2010, 8:43 pm #4

...But 4 at one time?!?!? Good on ya!

No EC-121?

Semper Fi, Don
Tempting me like that, Don! It's taken me long enough do get these four this far. Actually - I HAVE been very tempted to do the EC-121. The Minicraft kits carry a full set of upper and lower radar sets. I think I like the US Navy scheme best. But then there's that nice colour scheme on the MATS transport version - GAAAA! So many models, so little time! Thanks for the comments.
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 14th, 2010, 9:16 pm #5

Keep the good work Ted, i can't wait to see your Connies finished!
...I can't wait to see 'em finished either! (Your favourite WIP? Oh man - now the pressure is on!)
Best...Ted...

WIP Build:
Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

May 14th, 2010, 10:26 pm #6

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Great work Ted, it was worth the wait (1 month masking !!!) - seems you're right, pencil lines on a 1/144 model might be a little over the top... and white make it stands out even more, maybe you can get away with it on the silver parts

Revell reissued their Connie - with MATS and Columbine III decals - and this in combination with seeing your builds here, will probably push me over the edge into buying one too

Great aviation poster, sure looks nice with the Hurricane - that's a plan coming together just nicely !

* </i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium - <i>who wrote during his Airfix Do-217 build :

Well... just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God !

AZ Model - 1/72 Spitfire Mk.II LR
Plastic Pics : Part I
Airfix - 1/72 Ilyushin IL-28
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII
Airfix - 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.II (Magna Models conversion)
Group Build : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV

May 14th, 2010, 10:35 pm #7

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
...those Connies are looking good there,excellent in fact,not an easy thing maintaining consistency on muliple builds and/or motivation
But your problem with the pencil panels.Have you thought of trying an harder graphite,H or maybe 2H and possibly a narrower pointed technical pencil,maybe 0.3 mm?
Also in the June issue of MAW,Allan has done a tutorial on this technique as his contribution to the WAGB write up,which might help out some...
I noticed your comments over on the Airfix GB re pencil lines and had an inspiration;Mind you,I have no luck with them either,but that's just down to cakhandedness on my part!
Keep up the good work

Woz

May 14th, 2010, 10:50 pm #8

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
Panel lines are probably best left "unattended" in that scale.

Looking fantastic, all of 'em.

John

YOU. You're good YOU...

na no YOU. You're GOOD.

May 14th, 2010, 10:53 pm #9

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
I'm pretty sure I flew to Germany on an aircraft that looked a lot like those back in Sep '62, at least I was told it was a Constellation. But it wasn't anywhere near as pretty as these.

The flight I was supposed to be on the day before crashed in the Atlantic somewhere IIRC. The pregnant wife and oldest child flew over in another Connie in February 1963.

Excellent work Ted!

An old soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

May 15th, 2010, 3:14 am #10

And the Revell kit:

The group shot:

Best! Ted!

WIP Build:

Previous WIP Builds:

Tall Tales:
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig
You may want to try scoring the panel line with an exacto blade; a single shallow pass guided by a piece of tape may work. After a light sanding, to remove any ridge, it should yield a super fine line that will be almost invisible to the eye but will show through when photographed! Looking great so far!