That Thai soccer team story.....

That Thai soccer team story.....

July 11th, 2018, 9:41 pm #1

The thing that bugs me about this whole story is no one seems to be asking what kind of fool took 12 kids 2 and 1/2 miles into a cave complex like that.  What were the parents thinking??

Bill Shuey

July 11th, 2018, 11:30 pm #2

I heard they ran into the cave when the rain started getting heavier.
The part they were in started flooding so they went further in and so
it went until they were waaay in. Also try and imagine herding a
bunch of young boys like that  ( hey Jimmy !! ... come back here !! ...)

Surprising to me was that none of them appear to have had a cell phone. 😯

Glad they're all safe.
My feelings can only be hurt by
people who's opinion I care about.

July 12th, 2018, 3:43 am #3

Would a cell phone work in a cave?

July 12th, 2018, 4:00 am #4

Doubt the parents even knew. Prob both working their butts off 24/7 to keep a roof over their heads and put food on the table. Ya think they signed a 'field trip' release or something?

More of that Rites of Passage stuff/bs. Sure, on the other end of the scale, a bit, from say good RoP things like Eagle Scout, college, 1st real job, making your first million, etc. But not as nitwit stupid as say naked Brit frat boys (future Hs of Lords types) spanking each other w/ cricket bats or US frat boys chug-lug'g WalMart vodka until one of 'em dies, etc. They were headed about a mile in to graffiti up a wall. It was a local teen tradition. You were never 14??? I use to climb the cliffs near SF's Cliff House/Sutro Park when 6-10 w/ my lil' buds! Think my Mom/Dad knew? If Mom had known half the crazy things I did when 12 and younger (OK, 52 and younger), she would of had a stroke.

Doubt a cell/sat/walkie talkie would work in a CAVE, any cave, anywhere. I have a sat phone for backpacking trips and in a forest, even w/ big sky overhead, a signal can be iffy. Have to move to a clear/clearer South shot. Zip bars in a cave/overhang. Even just 10-20' in. Consumer comm signals usually like clear straight  lines of sight. And too that Thai Iron Triangle area IS on the 'rural' side of a Third World after all. Not a suburb of LA/NYC w/ cell towers every ten feet.

Yup further in was the only way to escape the rising rain water. Two ways to go and one meant drowning. Hope they now post signs at the entrance that at least say ya should not enter during rainy/monsoon season dummy. But prob like don't litter/dump signs, shooting rounds into the air on the 4th, beating your wife/gf, driving drunk, etc, will be ignored by many.

I think they were found at the very end of the cave complex, a dead end. They could go no further had the water continued to rise! Luck there for sure. Well, and the 100s of rescuers, brave/talented Brit cave divers, tech, big pumps, etc.

Yeah, I can't imagine corralling a doz 10-15 yr olds!! Ya couldn't pay me enuff! Those kids must be 'older' then their ages.

July 12th, 2018, 10:38 am #5

I have wondered since I first heard of their plight, just why is there a youth soccer team in a cave in Thailand. The news sources report that they were found and that they're all okay and we're being rescued, but they never reported as to just exactly why are they in there.
Max Bryant
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

July 12th, 2018, 11:24 am #6

It seems they have done cave exploring a number of times.  The unexpected was a sudden and heavy rain that caused flooding.  Cave exploring seems a common activity in the area. 
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U?

Zu Asche zu Staub

July 12th, 2018, 12:38 pm #7

This Thai cave story was a variation on the classic "trapped in a mine-fell down a well and got stuck" saga, guaranteed to captivate the public's attention via a media frenzy.  Difference is those stories don't always have a happy ending - glad this one did. 

July 12th, 2018, 7:35 pm #8

But it should not be forgotten that one
rescue diver did make the ultimate sacrifice, in the line of duty trying to save these kids.

Max Bryant
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

July 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm #9

Cell phones don't work in caves ??? Well I'll be. 
Comment was more of an age / current trend
sort of thing. We're supposed to believe 'all' kids
have cell phones these days.  Can't live without 'em.  🙄
My feelings can only be hurt by
people who's opinion I care about.

July 13th, 2018, 6:24 am #10

Mike Maben wrote: Cell phones don't work in caves ??? Well I'll be. 
Comment was more of an age / current trend
sort of thing. We're supposed to believe 'all' kids
have cell phones these days.  Can't live without 'em.  🙄
Not a mile into a cave BUT my 15 yr old flip, w/ usually crap Sprint service, has worked at times in my deep bsmt (no windows/light wells) where a lot of my stash/ref books are stored. Signal must bounce thru the hallways and stairways some how! Rec'd a call recently from a bud, a 100' away at my ft door, to "come and answer your ft door dammit!".