That Hudson

That Hudson

April 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm #1

Hi!
I have reached my wits end with the O&*%&$(% CA Hudson I. I have dealt with warped resin that disintegrates in warm water, parts which do not match up ( did the man who did the right side of the fuselage TALK to the man who did the left?)rotten instructions, parts with no visible means of attachment and parts with more flash than detail. But it is together, glass masked, and I started with the wonderful landing gear. I am amazed by the engineering, rather lack of it and the very nebulous instructions.
So does anyone have an image or images to show where in the world those triangular parts go?

A very frustrated, but determined not to have the wonderful Hudson I kit beat him

Bruce

April 12th, 2012, 2:10 am #2

...they are selling for hundreds of $$$ on eBay.

Todd Enlund

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

April 12th, 2012, 3:57 am #3

Hi!
I have reached my wits end with the O&*%&$(% CA Hudson I. I have dealt with warped resin that disintegrates in warm water, parts which do not match up ( did the man who did the right side of the fuselage TALK to the man who did the left?)rotten instructions, parts with no visible means of attachment and parts with more flash than detail. But it is together, glass masked, and I started with the wonderful landing gear. I am amazed by the engineering, rather lack of it and the very nebulous instructions.
So does anyone have an image or images to show where in the world those triangular parts go?

A very frustrated, but determined not to have the wonderful Hudson I kit beat him

Bruce
landing gear yet. It was an adventure getting the fuselage sorted out, having some alignment problems with the tail planes.

April 12th, 2012, 7:52 am #4

Hi!

Bruce
it has a lot of shape and detail issues. The underside of the rear fuselage is far too shallow, tail wheel misplaced, cross section at the bomb bay wrong, poor representation of the wing slots and as for the turret, well, what can you say? It bears absolutely no similarity to the distinctive shape of the BP turret, none at all.

As for it selling for silly prices on Ebay, the people buying it must obviously think they are going to get a reasonable buildable and accurate kit ..... surprise!

April 12th, 2012, 2:24 pm #5

Hi!

Bruce
on this weekend-let you know if you don't get it sorted out sooner.
Do you have access to line drawings for the Hudson? I am needing to do a lot of rescribing and panel lines are GONE.

Pat

April 12th, 2012, 2:31 pm #6

No, I do not have drawings. I am done with the kit, and just want to finish it. It will sit at the back of the shelf.

Bruce

April 12th, 2012, 8:56 pm #7

Hi!

Bruce
I have one but not built it yet. As I mentioned on the "CA Love" thread that I picked one up at an antique store for very cheap and could make a handsome sum of money if I sold it (I saw one go for 256.00 on E-bay recently), but since I read what you just posted about the kit I am having second thoughts. I like to enjoy my builds and not be tempted to "flight test" them towards the nearest wall. As to your poignant question about whether the engineer knew that there are two sides to a fuselage or not, have you tried to build the LTD PZL 11? They don't build clamps strong enough to force the two halves of the fuselage together! I stood on mine and still got enough separation to require plastic sheet and putty. As for the resin, it is really water based, made with flower, water, and honey..really quite tasty....just kidding but it is close! So, anyone want a nice Hudson kit with three sets of extra decals? I'm looking for a 1/48 Special Hobby Seafire Mk II and Mk III, need both for the trade.
Cheers
P.S. Please post a pic when you are done with it, but I want to see both sides of the aircraft!