TF-18 Hornet 160781 and F-18A 160777 prototype questions

TF-18 Hornet 160781 and F-18A 160777 prototype questions

June 9th, 2012, 6:30 pm #1

Pictures were found on the internet and used for illustration purposes only. I will remove if reposting them violates any copyright laws.

I am planning on doing the TF-18 160781 and F-18A 160777 prototypes from the Testors and Monogram 1/48 kits and need some help.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Does anyone make decals for the T1 on the nose and tails and the little black bow tie camera markings decals in 1/48? Some of the bow ties were also in white. I need these for the TF-18.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Does anyone make the little Hornet caricature in decal form for the sides of the Hornet? Picture below shows what I'm asking about. I would need two sets of these for both the TF-18 and F-18 prototypes.
[/IMG]

I will be using the Fightertown retro declas for the blue gold on the TF-18.
[/IMG]

June 10th, 2012, 3:48 pm #2

The origial Monogram F-18 Hornet all the way back in 1980 had some of those markings. It looks like most of those are on the sheet you already have. There is a great article in an old IPMS Quarterly on the prototypes, let me know if you want a scan of it. Here is a scan of that sheet. Don M.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Last edited by cmdrcody on June 10th, 2012, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 10th, 2012, 4:59 pm #3

My kits came without decals so that's why I am trying to source them. I noticed though that no one included the T1 and the Hornet caricature on the decal sheets.

I have an old IPMS scan of the prototype Hornet by Ed Yarbrough. Is that the same one you have? I think it was dated 1979.

June 10th, 2012, 8:50 pm #4

Italeri had a prototype kit where you could do either the single seat or the two seater and had the T1 decals, not sure it had the caricature markings though. I thought I had that kit in the stash, but must have sold it. The Ed Yarbrougharticle is the one I was referring to. Don M.

June 10th, 2012, 10:39 pm #5

for the info. I got a source for the T1 and the camera bow tie markings. Still looking for the caricature but no luck.

June 11th, 2012, 9:33 am #6

Terence
I am sure there was no hornet caricature on the TF-18s.
Perhaps on the #3 FSD by the pics but it seems was not "official" and
only for that particular aircraft, because the Official Hornet's logo was
that on the nose, trustingly represented by both Monogram (at that time)
and FT decals recently .
BR

June 11th, 2012, 7:26 pm #7

Pictures were found on the internet and used for illustration purposes only. I will remove if reposting them violates any copyright laws.

I am planning on doing the TF-18 160781 and F-18A 160777 prototypes from the Testors and Monogram 1/48 kits and need some help.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Does anyone make decals for the T1 on the nose and tails and the little black bow tie camera markings decals in 1/48? Some of the bow ties were also in white. I need these for the TF-18.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Does anyone make the little Hornet caricature in decal form for the sides of the Hornet? Picture below shows what I'm asking about. I would need two sets of these for both the TF-18 and F-18 prototypes.
[/IMG]

I will be using the Fightertown retro declas for the blue gold on the TF-18.
[/IMG]
Afterburner decals makes a VX-23 F/A-18 hornet sheet with the little test markings on it.

Those are black and white circular stickers that are applied to the aircraft as reference markers used for various things, i.e. when filming seperation tests for weapons drops on a new platform. So, at any given time there could be a few or many placed on the aircraft.
Last edited by Whitey on June 11th, 2012, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew White

June 12th, 2012, 1:34 pm #8

Terence
I am sure there was no hornet caricature on the TF-18s.
Perhaps on the #3 FSD by the pics but it seems was not "official" and
only for that particular aircraft, because the Official Hornet's logo was
that on the nose, trustingly represented by both Monogram (at that time)
and FT decals recently .
BR

further research, I found that there were two different caricatures for the TF-18 and the F/A-18 prototypes. Some pictures I found show both aircraft with and without the caricatures. I guess it depends on which timeframe I want to build the aircafts from. None of the pictures are dated so I can't tell and none are clear enough to see if they had the slots in the LEX's or not to give some kind of timeframe too. I guess if I leave off the caricatures it doesn't really matter seeing info is very hard to come by.

June 12th, 2012, 1:36 pm #9

Afterburner decals makes a VX-23 F/A-18 hornet sheet with the little test markings on it.

Those are black and white circular stickers that are applied to the aircraft as reference markers used for various things, i.e. when filming seperation tests for weapons drops on a new platform. So, at any given time there could be a few or many placed on the aircraft.
find a source for the camera markings. If those don't work out I will definitely look into the Afterburner decals.

June 12th, 2012, 2:48 pm #10

Where else did you find them? I could've sworn Two Bobs did an F/A-18 sheet with TONS of those things on it but I looked through his site and no dice. Let me know where else they are available, I like having odd decals like that in the stash just in case, I live and work right here near NAS Pax River so I see all types of aircraft with them.
Andrew White