Tamiya's New 1/48th Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik

Tamiya's New 1/48th Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik

April 13th, 2012, 4:04 am #1

Here are a few images from my phone of the test shot of the new Tamiya 1/48th Russian Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik being shown at the Tamiya booth during the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach this weekend.

Excitement comes from the achievement. Fulfillment comes from the journey that got you there.

April 13th, 2012, 4:55 am #2

AM re-pop right? nt.

April 13th, 2012, 5:02 am #3

Here are a few images from my phone of the test shot of the new Tamiya 1/48th Russian Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik being shown at the Tamiya booth during the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach this weekend.

or a repackaging of AM's kit? Looks great from here.

April 13th, 2012, 5:39 am #4

I might be wrong, but this would be the first VVS aircraft in 1/48 produced by either Tamiya or Hasegawa. I could be wrong again also, but this is most likely a repop of the AM/Eduard kit.

I learned the other day that 16,000+ Yak-9's were built during the GPW, and yet we don't have anything other than some less than adequate ICM kits of this great fighter aircraft in 1/48.

April 13th, 2012, 5:43 am #5

Hi:

From what I can see of the kit number, it looks like it's in the series that other re-boxings are. I don't know that the Il-2 exactly needed a do-over in 1/48 (I've got an Accurate Miniatures kit in my stash, and it seems very good), so I'd rather see Tamiya tackle something else new-tool in 1/48 that would benefit more from the Tamiya treatment (P-38, perhaps?).

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com

April 13th, 2012, 5:43 am #6

It's all Tamiya tooling.
Excitement comes from the achievement. Fulfillment comes from the journey that got you there.

April 13th, 2012, 6:24 am #7

I built the AM Shturmovik when it was first released. Now, what will be in the Tamiya box we'll have to wait and see. But the model in the picture is either the AM kit, or an exact reproduction thereof. One give-away is the goofy little disks molded on the noses of the bombs and rockets to represent the fusing vanes.

The AM kit is a great kit. Hard to see even Tamiya doing much to improve on it, IMHO. Maybe new fusing vanes.

R. McCartney

April 13th, 2012, 6:40 am #8

Tamia have been reboxing Italeri kits for some releases. In Europe at least, Italeri reboxed the AM Sturmovik, so perhaps that is source?

April 13th, 2012, 6:47 am #9

Thank you Tamiya!
A new Tamiya quality IL-2, great!

btw:
No,it doesn't look like the AM kit.
Last edited by ejasonk on April 13th, 2012, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 7:04 am #10

Il-2 from AM has wrong spinner, the one at the photos has correct spinner.

Sergey.